GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Manual says you may/may not have jack handle. I don't in MY2023. Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 01:50 PM
pllxs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Manual says you may/may not have jack handle. I don't in MY2023. Matter?

The user manual on page 550 (for MY2023) says there are "Vehicles with Jack handle" and "Vehicles without Jack handle." Mine does not appear to have a Jack handle. Does that matter? Is one better than the other? Looking at parts sites, the Jack handle is not that expensive, but it looks like I would need to change the "Wheel nut wrench," too. Thoughts?

I am asking because I have had to change our tires before on the side of the freeway. Our brand new (at the time) 2023 Land Rover Defender lost pressure rapidly on the way to the airport at 5AM. The Land Rover is pretty easy because the tire is mounted externally on the rear (but you have to deal with the air suspension which makes jacking a chore). I want to be prepared if this should happen to the new Lexus.

Photo attached is our toolbox.

Old 01-07-24, 04:31 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Guess I better go look and see what version I have. LOL
Old 01-07-24, 06:08 AM
FOGeologist
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

It's right there.

What do you mean, "I don't have a jack handle?"

What do you think the connector is? It's the three pieces you connect together at the bottom of your tool tray, that you use to spin the bottle jack to raise it.
Old 01-07-24, 06:16 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I am completely confused too. By jack handle, did you mean the L-shape handle that is used together with the 3 pierce connectors at the bottom of your tool tray?

To be honest I did not read the owner manual and did not realize there were vehicles without the handle. I took a look at mine and it was there. One would need the L-shape piece to operate the jack and to lower the spare tire. And, I am confused why this handle had anything to do with wheel nuts. One does not use the handle for wheels.
Old 01-07-24, 06:18 AM
pllxs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was referring to this part of the manual:

My toolkit looks like the one that Lexus describes as "Vehicles without Jack handle." I am curious what the difference is.

As far as the wheel nut wrench, the two wheel nut wrenches look different in the manual illustration. Again, I was just curious if anyone knew why there are two kinds.
Old 01-07-24, 06:50 AM
jphowey
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pllxs
I was referring to this part of the manual:

My toolkit looks like the one that Lexus describes as "Vehicles without Jack handle." I am curious what the difference is.

As far as the wheel nut wrench, the two wheel nut wrenches look different in the manual illustration. Again, I was just curious if anyone knew why there are two kinds.
By modifying # 4 Wheel Nut Wrench with opening in middle of length to accept #1 Jack Handle Extension Bar (lower one, male/male)....Lexus only needs one part to serve as both nut wrench and jack handle? Bean counting? Maybe manual should say vehicle may not have "separate Jack handle."

I have a 2010....so it started as two parts. I'm now wondering what all the other empty slots are for....

And who knows, there are all kinds of odd regulations around globe. I read that's why old BMWs didn't have the foldable red emergency triangle in toolkit slot (Didn't meet US DOT reg). And all French cars have to have a yellow emergency vest in trunk....hence the "gilets jaunes"....yellow vests....protests in France.

Last edited by jphowey; 01-07-24 at 07:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pllxs (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 07:12 AM
FOGeologist
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok… I see what they’re on about.

What they’re referring to as a “jack handle” is the separate handle they used to include to spin the jack extensions. Since they put a “pinch” in the center of the tire iron and punched a square hole in it to use it to spin the jack extension (frankly, it’s both a crummy tire iron and a crummy jack extension spinner), then I guess Lexus saved $3 on their $72,000 luxury sport utility vehicle.

<rolleyes>
Old 01-07-24, 07:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Other empty slot areas

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...kit-parts.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
jphowey (01-08-24), pllxs (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:29 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Beyond the jack ... if anyone thinks they can crack 85 ft-lb lug nuts with this anemic "kit" ... time to get a Gorilla Wrench ... unless one is inclined to sit on the side of the road and wait (potentially hours) for AAA to arrive. The Lexus "tool kit" is a complete joke. Take control of your destiny and buy real tools and stop fixating on the tool pod being "complete". The only "tool" in this kit that is worth anything is to lower the spare tire to the ground ...
Carnevino (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 10:26 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

if you can balance properly and have some athletic ability, you can put on the lock adapter when needed, add the wrench, step on it, then bounce.
not ideal, and can be unsafe. but if you get in a pinch that might be all you got.

then go and get 'real tools' as above. and dont limit to what fits in the oem holder.

ill add, keep one foot close to the lug end of the wrench and shift weight to the other foot which should be at the end of the wrench.
Old 01-07-24, 11:49 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Ok… I see what they’re on about.

What they’re referring to as a “jack handle” is the separate handle they used to include to spin the jack extensions. Since they put a “pinch” in the center of the tire iron and punched a square hole in it to use it to spin the jack extension (frankly, it’s both a crummy tire iron and a crummy jack extension spinner), then I guess Lexus saved $3 on their $72,000 luxury sport utility vehicle.

<rolleyes>
Thanks. That explains. I’d say not much difference.
Old 01-07-24, 11:54 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acrad
Interesting. A 10mm wrench might be helpful. I once towed a car with a car dolly and needed to disconnect the car’s battery negative. It took me some effort to borrow a 10mm wrench. Otherwise I am happy with the empty spaces😜
Old 01-07-24, 01:41 PM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Those 10mm wrench/sockets are known to go rogue on you based on what I've read.
jphowey (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 05:44 AM
jphowey
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
I love how there is always a prompt, accurate answer here! I like real intelligence....not artificial...
Old 01-09-24, 03:23 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
I am completely confused too. By jack handle, did you mean the L-shape handle that is used together with the 3 pierce connectors at the bottom of your tool tray?

To be honest I did not read the owner manual and did not realize there were vehicles without the handle. I took a look at mine and it was there. One would need the L-shape piece to operate the jack and to lower the spare tire. And, I am confused why this handle had anything to do with wheel nuts. One does not use the handle for wheels.
Agreed, this is strange. I am not sure you will be able to lower the spare tire without this piece; twisting the rod ("jack handle extension bar") requires some torque, especially for a spare tire that hasn't been lowered in some time. Sounds like a safety issue. I would press the dealer to get this piece.