GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 Rear Brake Smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 03:11 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2023 Rear Brake Smell

We bought the GX late last June and it currently has about 3600 miles on it.
My wife drives it everyday during the week to take my granddaughter to pre school and to work once week and to run a few errands if need be.
It is always garaged and rarely sees the rain. She does not ride the brake and does not drive with 2 feet on the pedals.

Recently I noticed that the rear brakes smell a little hot when she gets home from work which is about a 20 minute drive +/-.

I have not jacked it up to check it out, or took it to the dealer for inspection yet, but was wondering if anyone else has the same issue?
Is there an easy way to confirm if something is dragging?
Since it is so new, would this be something covered under warranty?

Last edited by Bergy24; 02-07-24 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 05:58 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Infrared temp tool will tell you temps. I think the rear brakes are pretty active on the GX460 though.
Old 02-07-24, 06:11 AM
skeener
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You could try spinning them and check for dragging. Also inspect the rotors/pads for signs of heat checking, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Bergy24 (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 06:26 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 703 Posts

... check that the emergency brake shoes are properly backed-off ...
Old 02-07-24, 06:55 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a leaking rear axle seal. I used an infrared thermometer to confirm the issue was not the brakes. Also, if your drive shaft was lubed recently, some excess grease can get slung out over hot exhaust and smell burnt. Your rig sounds too new for these issues, but worth checking out regardless.
skeener (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 07:06 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by xychromo
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a leaking rear axle seal. I used an infrared thermometer to confirm the issue was not the brakes. Also, if your drive shaft was lubed recently, some excess grease can get slung out over hot exhaust and smell burnt. Your rig sounds too new for these issues, but worth checking out regardless.
How did you confirm this with the Temp Gun?
Did you visible see the seal leaking?
Old 02-07-24, 07:08 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

Temp gun confirmed that one side wasn't hotter than the other.

See photos of leak here.

Bergy24 (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 08:40 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

'23 with 3.6k miles? It is very unlikely it has any mechanical issues unless it was used in some extreme environment. Use a temp gun to check that all brakes are about the same temperature range when wife gets home and move on with your life. It is still probably burning off some factory coating or you picked up a plastic bag with your exhaust (true story, smelled and slightly smoked for like a week or two).
Old 02-07-24, 10:49 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
'23 with 3.6k miles? It is very unlikely it has any mechanical issues unless it was used in some extreme environment. Use a temp gun to check that all brakes are about the same temperature range when wife gets home and move on with your life. It is still probably burning off some factory coating or you picked up a plastic bag with your exhaust (true story, smelled and slightly smoked for like a week or two).
No Extreme use or environment.
I am hoping that it is still the factory coatings burning off, but I don't want to ignore it and it turn out to be more serious either.
If something is dragging, I don't want the dealer to push back and give me a hard time saying we ignored it either.
I plan to take it out tonight and check the temperatures.
Old 02-07-24, 03:06 PM
Bergy24
Driver

Update,
I drove the GX around a couple miles tonight.
No abnormal noises were present.
While sitting on an incline, it moved easily and did not appear to have anything dragging or sticking.

No drifting or pulling was observed while driving or braking

After driving around for a couple miles including some decent hills, I parked it in the garage and immediately checked the rotor temperatures with an infrared gun.
The front rotors were slightly hotter than the rears, but only by 10 degrees +/-, the rears were with 5 degrees of each other +/-. The right rotor was slightly hotter than left, which is where the smell is noticed the most.

Looking underneath the GX, the tires were dry and nothing looked like it was leaking and no trash was observed.

The smell was not very strong and may just be because it’s fairly new, but I’ll continue to check the temperatures.

I don’t remember my Tundra having this smell, but it is also parked outside so the smell may have dissipated rather quickly.

Last edited by Bergy24; 02-08-24 at 02:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bergy24:
NewB2Lexus (02-07-24), tntcandy (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24, 10:12 AM
23GX
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our '23 had the same smell but it went away after a few months of use. Check to make sure your park brake is fully released. But I do think it is just undercoating or something similar that is burning off because the car is still new. The smell has gone away completely for us. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-24, 10:55 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by 23GX
Our '23 had the same smell but it went away after a few months of use. Check to make sure your park brake is fully released. But I do think it is just undercoating or something similar that is burning off because the car is still new. The smell has gone away completely for us. Hope this helps.
What's weird is I did not notice this smell until the last few weeks.
I did engage and pop the E- Brake to make sure it was fully disengaged at the pedal.
Old 02-09-24, 06:51 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergy24
What's weird is I did not notice this smell until the last few weeks.
I did engage and pop the E- Brake to make sure it was fully disengaged at the pedal.
... again, the e-brake shoes could be slightly dragging ... check that they are properly backed-off ... better one additional click backed-off than close to engaged ... best to have extra gap since the e-brake pedal has travel ... and beyond that, who actually uses the e-brake anyway.

Last edited by ASE; 02-09-24 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-09-24, 06:56 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by ASE
... again, the e-brake shoes could be slightly dragging ... check that they are properly backed-off ... better one additional click backed-off than close to engaged.
what’s the procedure to check this?
Old 02-09-24, 06:58 AM
skeener
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Rotate the star wheel via flat blade screw driver or adjustment spoon from the access slot on the backing plate (rear).
Bergy24 (02-09-24)

Quick Reply: 2023 Rear Brake Smell