GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What Can I Use To Not Show the Scratches on The Black Plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 01:26 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Default What Can I Use To Not Show the Scratches on The Black Plastic?

My 23 GX460 has some scratches on driver’s side black plastic stepping pad from someone not being careful with their shoes while getting in and out of the vehicle. It looks like they ground their shoes into the plastic stepping pad causing these scratches. Some of the scratches are lighter than others. But there are 2 or 3 scratches that are bad and they look like they’re deeply embedded into the plastic.

Is there anything that I can put on the stepping pad to make these scratches much less noticeable? I know that with time that this particular piece will get scratched from usage. However, I myself do not step on the stepping pad when I get in and out of the vehicle. I am 6’ feet tall and I have no problem sliding myself in and out of the vehicle when I want to get in or out of it. Hopefully there’s something that I can put on these scratches to make them less noticeable or to even make them disappear. I do not want to replace the stepping pad and would only like to make it look less noticeable if that’s possible. I don’t want to take it to the dealer or to any body shop either and have them make things worse by scratching something else on my vehicle. I would rather try to put something on it to make it less noticeable. What’s out there that you recommend that I can use to make the stepping pad look more presentable and nicer looking than it is right now. I greatly appreciate it.

I’ve attached pictures of the scratches for you to view. Feel free to magnify the pictures to see the damage.

Old 02-08-24, 02:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Most interior treatment products will hide that to some extent, for vulnerable areas I like 303 Protectant. Can carefully go over areas with a green Scotch-Brite to reduce the appearance of scratches.
Old 02-09-24, 05:52 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Most interior treatment products will hide that to some extent, for vulnerable areas I like 303 Protectant. Can carefully go over areas with a green Scotch-Brite to reduce the appearance of scratches.
I was reading about the green Scotch-Brite and I don’t want anybody to start rubbing or sanding down the stepping pad to make the scratches any worse or to accidentally put more scratches into the very soft plastic. I also don't want to use heat on it either. The heat could take the texture out if one doesn’t know how to do it and it also melts the plastic.
I prefer only putting something on it to try to cover up the scratches to make the scratches less visible to the eye. I can see the scratches from standing 5’ feet away from my GX. I want to be able to put something on the stepping pad to make it less visible to the eye when looking at it. There’s got to be something out there that will cover up both the deeper and also the lighter scratches and make the stepping pad look nicer to the eye and all the scratches on it less noticeable and less visible. My GX is brand new and only 2 weeks old and I definitely do not want to go to the dealer and have them tamper with it and make it worse. What’s out there that I can purchase besides the 303 Protectant that can cover up these scratches. They’re an eye sore and very noticeable to my eyes when I walk up close to my GX and look down. It breaks my heart to see this on my only 2 week old vehicle if you know what I mean.
Out of curiosity, do many 2019-2023 Lexus GX460 owners here on the forums have the same problem with getting many visible deep scratches like I currently have on the soft plastic stepping pads on both the driver’s side and on the passenger side of their GX’s? How bad are they? What’s the condition of yours look like?

Last edited by glamglam; 02-09-24 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-09-24, 07:49 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

It's soft plastic, it's going to happen on anything. Literally every thing with plastic or any material for that matter in an automobile is going to show scratches. I've seen Bentleys and Ferraris with scratches inside. I wouldn't worry about it because you cannot stop or hide it. And if you obsess over them it'll drive you insane. Just let it go.
Old 02-09-24, 08:01 AM
jdelong
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue but in the back. We took our brand new 2023 GX on a road trip with a 6 month old black lab puppy in the back. She was eerily well behaved. When we got out, she had gnawed on the right rear wheelwell plastic where there is a little insert area near the vent. little puppy teeth, about a 4 inch long span. I've tried wet sanding and shoe polish, no luck. it still looks like a white/light area where she chewed it up. would love to be able to hide it better...thanks!
Old 02-09-24, 08:31 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Replace ... and then don't scratch again ...
Old 02-09-24, 10:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
I was reading about the green Scotch-Brite and I don’t want anybody to start rubbing or sanding down the stepping pad to make the scratches any worse or to accidentally put more scratches into the very soft plastic. I also don't want to use heat on it either. The heat could take the texture out if one doesn’t know how to do it and it also melts the plastic.
I prefer only putting something on it to try to cover up the scratches to make the scratches less visible to the eye. I can see the scratches from standing 5’ feet away from my GX. I want to be able to put something on the stepping pad to make it less visible to the eye when looking at it. There’s got to be something out there that will cover up both the deeper and also the lighter scratches and make the stepping pad look nicer to the eye and all the scratches on it less noticeable and less visible. My GX is brand new and only 2 weeks old and I definitely do not want to go to the dealer and have them tamper with it and make it worse. What’s out there that I can purchase besides the 303 Protectant that can cover up these scratches. They’re an eye sore and very noticeable to my eyes when I walk up close to my GX and look down. It breaks my heart to see this on my only 2 week old vehicle if you know what I mean.
Out of curiosity, do many 2019-2023 Lexus GX460 owners here on the forums have the same problem with getting many visible deep scratches like I currently have on the soft plastic stepping pads on both the driver’s side and on the passenger side of their GX’s? How bad are they? What’s the condition of yours look like?
If you don't try something the problem won't fix itself and there is no magic in a bottle that will erase those scratches.

There are products that protect scuff plates
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-09-24, 12:06 PM
glamglam
Instructor

I would like to find something that I can put on those scratches to make the scratches less noticeable to the eye so I can live with it. I do not want to replace the stepping pad or to tamper with it to make it look worse. The vehicle is brand new and only 2 weeks old. Hopefully there's something out there that can be applied to the stepping pad like some type of a solution in order to fill in the scratches a little bit to make them less noticeable to the eyes.

I did some research and I found out that the stepping pads on the older 2008 - 2012+ GX's were made from better material which was much harder material that did not get scratched as easily as the newer cheaper plastic material that's used on the 2018 - 2023 GX's. The plastic stepping pads on the newer GX's are made of softer plastic and they scratch much easier.
Old 02-09-24, 12:54 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

I have used products similar to this on faded black plastics on cars and it has worked well at restoring the colour. Won't repair the scratches but they will blend in more https://adamspolishes.com/en-ca/blog...d-trim-plastic
Old 02-09-24, 02:15 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Solution finish, basically plastic dye. I really don't see how it would be worth the effort though when its going to keep coming back.
Old 02-09-24, 02:36 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by IanG
I have used products similar to this on faded black plastics on cars and it has worked well at restoring the colour. Won't repair the scratches but they will blend in more https://adamspolishes.com/en-ca/blog...d-trim-plastic
I need something that will blend into the white scratches. I know that the scratches are permanent and that they will not go away. If this particular product (Adam's Black Trim Restorer) that you recommend will do thetrick and actually color in and fill in the deep whitish colored scratches that you see in the pictures that I posted above and if it will also cover and blend into the much lighter scratches on the stepping pad, then do you think that the scratches will be less visible to the eyes? Do you think that this product will do the trick? What do you think?

Last edited by glamglam; 02-09-24 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 05:57 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Try a black permanent marker to see if it will blend the scratches in.
Old 02-10-24, 07:59 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
I need something that will blend into the white scratches. I know that the scratches are permanent and that they will not go away. If this particular product (Adam's Black Trim Restorer) that you recommend will do thetrick and actually color in and fill in the deep whitish colored scratches that you see in the pictures that I posted above and if it will also cover and blend into the much lighter scratches on the stepping pad, then do you think that the scratches will be less visible to the eyes? Do you think that this product will do the trick? What do you think?
The link I provided in my previous comment was just a common product. The actual product I used which coloured the black plastic bumper on my 1989 Volvo is Solution Finish https://carzilla.ca/collections/e-t-...ion-finish-1oz. It made the bumper a uniform, original black. It does not fill in the scratches, nothing will, but it may help you tolerate them better. Replacement step cover is about $200 form Lexus
Old 02-10-24, 08:12 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Mother's ... "Back-to-Black" ...
Old 02-10-24, 05:34 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

You will drive yourself crazy, because those sills are very soft and will not be glam, Glam. (a lame comedic effort ) Here's what I use on all three of mine. door-sill-scuff-plate-protector-covers-for-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado-150-J150-accessories-2010-2018.jpg (704×610) (alicdn.com) I don't recall whose I actually purchased, but this will put you on the scent!

BTW, the plastic in the rear storage area also very susceptible to scratching and worse.

Quick Reply: What Can I Use To Not Show the Scratches on The Black Plastic?