GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2012 gx coolant dripping from hose connected to top of radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 04:08 AM
chingwa14
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F90Guy
Mine failed around 77-78K. Had a leak at the upper hose where it connects to the radiator and right below it a leak where plastic and metal core join. Replaced the radiator and both hoses. This was on a 16MY last year, so 7 year old vehicle. This might not be a mileage but an age thing.

Knock on wood so far its only thing that broke outside of normal wear and tear maintenance.
I agree with the age factor as I'm dealing with a leak now at just over 80K. Likely culprit is like all people said about the plastics as it's subjected to the high number of thermal cycles that causes the plastic to deteriorate.

Just on the fence about replacing the water pump, hoses, thermostat while the radiator is being done as well...
Old 04-21-24, 07:44 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I have a '13 that just had its radiator replaced at the dealership about 8 months ago.
SERVICE: RADIATOR
DESCRIPTION:~|~REPLACE RADIATOR ASSY ~|~CRACKED ~|~REPLACED LEAKING ENGINE RADIATOR AND TRANSMISSION COOLER LINES.
I just looked under the hood yesterday and I don't see any radiator fluid in the tank. Anything I should try to look for before I bring it in tomorrow AM? I don't see any pink residual anywhere - but it is just a surface glance. Should I put water in the tank, or should I just keep a jug in the car incase it starts to overheat on my way to dealership? Obviously I won't drive it until then.
Old 04-21-24, 07:47 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwa14
I agree with the age factor as I'm dealing with a leak now at just over 80K. Likely culprit is like all people said about the plastics as it's subjected to the high number of thermal cycles that causes the plastic to deteriorate.

Just on the fence about replacing the water pump, hoses, thermostat while the radiator is being done as well...
Best to baseline ... so replace all of the above ... then you are good-to-go for many miles to come.
Old 04-21-24, 09:24 AM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I have a '13 that just had its radiator replaced at the dealership about 8 months ago.
SERVICE: RADIATOR
DESCRIPTION:~|~REPLACE RADIATOR ASSY ~|~CRACKED ~|~REPLACED LEAKING ENGINE RADIATOR AND TRANSMISSION COOLER LINES.
I just looked under the hood yesterday and I don't see any radiator fluid in the tank. Anything I should try to look for before I bring it in tomorrow AM? I don't see any pink residual anywhere - but it is just a surface glance. Should I put water in the tank, or should I just keep a jug in the car incase it starts to overheat on my way to dealership? Obviously I won't drive it until then.
Top off radiator and fill overflow bottle.
Pink coolant is preferred. Distilled water OK if that's the only option.
It shouldn't run out fast enough to need to fill on the way unless its leaking right onto the ground.
Old 04-22-24, 09:08 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by gx460z2011
Top off radiator and fill overflow bottle.
Pink coolant is preferred. Distilled water OK if that's the only option.
It shouldn't run out fast enough to need to fill on the way unless its leaking right onto the ground.
Thanks - I got it to the dealership. Still under extended warranty so not sure if I want them to find a major issue, like valley leak, so longer term fix gets paid for by Lexus, or to just find just a lose hose or something.
Old 04-22-24, 02:26 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Thanks - I got it to the dealership. Still under extended warranty so not sure if I want them to find a major issue, like valley leak, so longer term fix gets paid for by Lexus, or to just find just a lose hose or something.
Dealership: "Water pump leak and we noticed Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak" Both will be covered under Lexus warranty (glad I got that VSA). They will also replace the drive belt while doing the work as a courtesy. Anything else they should repair/look at? Advisor indicated that the small coolant leak (turns out radiator was still full of coolant - it was just low enough that I couldn't see in the reservoir when cold). was due to the water pump leak- that make sense?
M
Old 04-22-24, 03:11 PM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Dealership: "Water pump leak and we noticed Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak" Both will be covered under Lexus warranty (glad I got that VSA). They will also replace the drive belt while doing the work as a courtesy. Anything else they should repair/look at? Advisor indicated that the small coolant leak (turns out radiator was still full of coolant - it was just low enough that I couldn't see in the reservoir when cold). was due to the water pump leak- that make sense?
M
Is this a Lexus extended warranty? Warranty coverage on your 2013 is impressive.

Having the timing cover covered under warranty is AMAZING. I'd say it was well worth your trip!
Can't think of anything else other than asking them to verify the valley plate is not leaking since the timing cover job gets them most of the way there.
Oh, also check each idler/tensioner pulley while they have the belt off.

Glad to hear it was only a very small leak and not actually low on coolant. I expected for the radiator to be low you'd see the leak on the ground.

Last edited by gx460z2011; 04-22-24 at 03:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gx460z2011:
Acrad (04-22-24), CFAI (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 05:15 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Is this a Lexus extended warranty? Warranty coverage on your 2013 is impressive.

Having the timing cover covered under warranty is AMAZING. I'd say it was well worth your trip!
Can't think of anything else other than asking them to verify the valley plate is not leaking since the timing cover job gets them most of the way there.
Oh, also check each idler/tensioner pulley while they have the belt off.

Glad to hear it was only a very small leak and not actually low on coolant. I expected for the radiator to be low you'd see the leak on the ground.
Thanks! Yes. It was a 3 year Lexus VSA on top of the 2 year CPO. I still have a little over 4 months left on it. Obv not always the right move, but I think CPO with an multi year extension can make sense if you are buying a CPO Lexus when it is close to its max eligible age. So my '13 was manufactured Dec 2012 - so over 6.5 years old when I got it. So when I was considering if I wanted to buy an extension, I estimated (very roughly) the likely repair costs for a GX460 up into its 12th year (based on the repair costs of the two other Lexus I have had, adjusting for inflation and the higher costs of the GX460 vs the IS250 and RX300) I then somewhat arbitrarily cut that value in half and used that amount as my max amount to spend on the VSA. After negotiating with a few dealerships I got my price from the dealership I bought the GX from.

So tensioners/pullies. Anything else like spark plugs or similar wear and tear items that it might be easier for them to replace while in there? Thanks so much for the input/suggestions!
Old 04-22-24, 06:42 PM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Thanks! Yes. It was a 3 year Lexus VSA on top of the 2 year CPO. I still have a little over 4 months left on it. Obv not always the right move, but I think CPO with an multi year extension can make sense if you are buying a CPO Lexus when it is close to its max eligible age. So my '13 was manufactured Dec 2012 - so over 6.5 years old when I got it. So when I was considering if I wanted to buy an extension, I estimated (very roughly) the likely repair costs for a GX460 up into its 12th year (based on the repair costs of the two other Lexus I have had, adjusting for inflation and the higher costs of the GX460 vs the IS250 and RX300) I then somewhat arbitrarily cut that value in half and used that amount as my max amount to spend on the VSA. After negotiating with a few dealerships I got my price from the dealership I bought the GX from.

So tensioners/pullies. Anything else like spark plugs or similar wear and tear items that it might be easier for them to replace while in there? Thanks so much for the input/suggestions!
I might have missed it, but what is your mileage?
Yes the coil packs have to be removed for this work so you are slightly closer to a plug replacement. But they are good until 120k (or more).
Old 04-22-24, 08:42 PM
CFAI
Instructor

I might have missed it, but what is your mileage?
Yes the coil packs have to be removed for this work so you are slightly closer to a plug replacement. But they are good until 120k (or more).
I have about 108,000 on it. We put on about 48k of those.
Old 04-22-24, 09:00 PM
gx460z2011
Rookie

I have about 108,000 on it. We put on about 48k of those.
Easy! Tons of life ahead. I can't think of anything that we didn't already discuss.

I'd ask them the cost to change the spark plugs while they are in there since it should be slightly reduced labor.
FYI I bought my GX recently at 240k and it had original plugs! They were actually far better than I expected. So they will probably last a long time.
The following users liked this post:
CFAI (04-22-24)
Old 04-25-24, 05:25 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts

Probably time to replace the thermostat if it is still original.
btw, wondering how much the extended warranty costs?
Thanks,
Old 04-25-24, 06:58 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by texas008
Probably time to replace the thermostat if it is still original.
btw, wondering how much the extended warranty costs?
Thanks,
Picked it up yesterday - so didn't ask about replacing thermostat. Had them double check for valley plate leak and they said it was all good. Service advisor at the Lexus dealership that did the work said total job would have been around $4k if I had to pay out of pocket, but I imagine that cost will vary by shop. I guess the time chain cover leak is more labor intensive job than the valley plate leak.

@texas008
The price and nature of Lexus extended warranties will depend on:
1) Is it extension of original warranty or of an existing CPO warranty.
2) Number of extra years it covers (I think for CPO that is from 1 to 5 extra years on top of the 2 CPO years)
3) Max miles driven - this is only for extensions of the original warranty as the CPO warranty allows unlimited miles.
4) How well you can negotiate (this will be a function of how many dealerships are in your state). The price I paid was a few hundred less than others I had been quoted.
Limitations: It is my understanding that extensions can be purchased only while the car is still under Lexus warranty and you can only extend for the type of warranty it is under. SO you can not get a CPO extension to an original factory warranty.
Up to each person to see if it is worth for them. Personally I prob would not extend the original warranty if I bought a new one. I also prob would not consider an extension of a CPO for a much newer CPO Lexus, unless I got a very good price on an extension. For me the the best time to consider one is if buying an older CPO with some miles on it and then going over all the known issues with the car and seeing how close you are to the likely age/milage of being in the zone where those events might be more likely to occur.
Old 04-25-24, 07:58 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Cause of low radiator fluid ?

Picked it up yesterday - so didn't ask about replacing thermostat. Had them double check for valley plate leak and they said it was all good. Service advisor at the Lexus dealership that did the work said total job would have been around $4k if I had to pay out of pocket, but I imagine that cost will vary by shop. I guess the time chain cover leak is more labor intensive job than the valley plate leak.

@texas008
The price and nature of Lexus extended warranties will depend on:
1) Is it extension of original warranty or of an existing CPO warranty.
2) Number of extra years it covers (I think for CPO that is from 1 to 5 extra years on top of the 2 CPO years)
3) Max miles driven - this is only for extensions of the original warranty as the CPO warranty allows unlimited miles.
4) How well you can negotiate (this will be a function of how many dealerships are in your state). The price I paid was a few hundred less than others I had been quoted.
Limitations: It is my understanding that extensions can be purchased only while the car is still under Lexus warranty and you can only extend for the type of warranty it is under. SO you can not get a CPO extension to an original factory warranty.
Up to each person to see if it is worth for them. Personally I prob would not extend the original warranty if I bought a new one. I also prob would not consider an extension of a CPO for a much newer CPO Lexus, unless I got a very good price on an extension. For me the the best time to consider one is if buying an older CPO with some miles on it and then going over all the known issues with the car and seeing how close you are to the likely age/milage of being in the zone where those events might be more likely to occur.
What was the cause of the drop in radiator fluid level?
Old 04-25-24, 08:05 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
What was the cause of the drop in radiator fluid level?
Water pump.

Quick Reply: 2012 gx coolant dripping from hose connected to top of radiator