GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2012 gx coolant dripping from hose connected to top of radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 07:49 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2012 gx coolant dripping from hose connected to top of radiator

So i found this new drip leak and Lexus is recommending total replacement of the radiator and at the same time saying they'll keep the same hoses .

To me this looks like the hose isnt seated correctly. They want over a grand to do what seems like a hose issue.. thoughts?

I'm gathering details at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
ronsatour5 (02-19-24)
Old 02-12-24, 08:13 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

The radiator typically fails in the 100,000+ mile range ... with the leakage (seepage) appearing to be from the upper hose junction ... but is actually a crack in the plastic radiator housing, or due to a compromise in the bond between the plastic tank and radiator core. When replacing the radiator ... always replace the hoses and the thermostat ... cheap insurance.

Last edited by ASE; 02-12-24 at 08:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
ronsatour5 (02-19-24), texas008 (02-20-24)
Old 02-12-24, 10:50 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Thank you for the feedback. I was not aware of radiator failures being common in Lexus. My 02 LS hasnt had a single leak in the engine bay.

However, I just found the mother thread on this radiator issue everyone is having around 100k... what a shame Lexus!! They are devolving for sure...

I guess I'll be requiring them to replace the upper/lower hoses and thermostat as well with the radiator..

Thx ASE.

​​​​​
Old 02-12-24, 11:35 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
Thank you for the feedback. I was not aware of radiator failures being common in Lexus. My 02 LS hasnt had a single leak in the engine bay.

However, I just found the mother thread on this radiator issue everyone is having around 100k... what a shame Lexus!! They are devolving for sure...

I guess I'll be requiring them to replace the upper/lower hoses and thermostat as well with the radiator..

Thx ASE.

​​​​​
... as for the Toyota 4-Runner, Tacoma and FJ Cruiser ... essentially the same radiator ...
Old 02-12-24, 01:41 PM
Someone028
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Radiators with plastic end caps have become way too common. I've had to replace a couple in the past few years; Saab 9-5 and Lexus SC430. If one wants an all aluminum replacement, the appear to be available (but not cheap) https://csfrace.com/new-csf-lexus-gx...inum-radiator/
MrTorgue (02-13-24)
Old 02-12-24, 11:15 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
The radiator typically fails in the 100,000+ mile range ... with the leakage (seepage) appearing to be from the upper hose junction ... but is actually a crack in the plastic radiator housing, or due to a compromise in the bond between the plastic tank and radiator core. When replacing the radiator ... always replace the hoses and the thermostat ... cheap insurance.
Mine failed around 77-78K. Had a leak at the upper hose where it connects to the radiator and right below it a leak where plastic and metal core join. Replaced the radiator and both hoses. This was on a 16MY last year, so 7 year old vehicle. This might not be a mileage but an age thing.

Knock on wood so far its only thing that broke outside of normal wear and tear maintenance.
texas008 (02-20-24)
Old 02-13-24, 02:49 AM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by F90Guy
Mine failed around 77-78K. Had a leak at the upper hose where it connects to the radiator and right below it a leak where plastic and metal core join. Replaced the radiator and both hoses. This was on a 16MY last year, so 7 year old vehicle. This might not be a mileage but an age thing.

Knock on wood so far its only thing that broke outside of normal wear and tear maintenance.
Interesting. The upper hose on my GX had the constant tension clamp replaced with a worm clamp. I haven't touched it yet because there must be a reason but I don't know why someone would do that. Maybe the dripping from this location is common.

Hoses and radiator look original. I just replaced the original thermostat with a new OEM. 250k miles...

The OEM radiator looks like it is only $250 though, that is not bad at all. This is a superseded part number though, so maybe it is a "MVP" replacement given the price?
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...603.html#16400

Interesting the parts diagram shows the radiator core, seals, end tanks as an exploded view (even though they come as an assembly).

Last edited by gx460z2011; 02-13-24 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-13-24, 05:08 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

The OEM radiator looks like it is only $250 though, that is not bad at all.
Rockauto has a Denso radiator for $217; I am pretty sure Denso makes the OEM radiator.
Old 02-13-24, 06:31 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Someone028
Radiators with plastic end caps have become way too common. I've had to replace a couple in the past few years; Saab 9-5 and Lexus SC430. If one wants an all aluminum replacement, the appear to be available (but not cheap) https://csfrace.com/new-csf-lexus-gx...inum-radiator/
Agree. I hate HATE plastic **** for the coolant system. I mean if that isn't planned obsolescence I dunno what is.
Old 02-13-24, 06:33 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Common failure as others have stated. If it were me, Denso radiator, new OEM hoses, new OEM clamps, Aisin fan clutch, serp belt, pulley, and tensioner. You're already in there so it's easy access and you'll have peace of mind that you'll be good for a long time afterwards.
Old 02-13-24, 07:07 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Romanova
Common failure as others have stated. If it were me, Denso radiator, new OEM hoses, new OEM clamps, Aisin fan clutch, serp belt, pulley, and tensioner. You're already in there so it's easy access and you'll have peace of mind that you'll be good for a long time afterwards.
Are the fan clutch, pulley and tensioner known to be commonly worn out parts with lowish life span? Like every 100k thing?
ASE (02-13-24)
Old 02-13-24, 07:15 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
Are the fan clutch, pulley and tensioner known to be commonly worn out parts with lowish life span? Like every 100k thing?
No, but they are super simple to replace while everything is taken apart and the cost for those parts is pretty low. Sure, you could easily get another 100k out of those parts or one of them could fail in 20k. I mean, typically the belt and tensioner don't fail but for me here in Houston, I also factor in the heat exposure that the parts are subjected to for the majority of the year. It just made sense to me to replace the parts the last time my car was getting some work done. YMMV.
Old 02-13-24, 09:38 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gx460z2011
Interesting. The upper hose on my GX had the constant tension clamp replaced with a worm clamp. I haven't touched it yet because there must be a reason but I don't know why someone would do that. Maybe the dripping from this location is common.

Hoses and radiator look original. I just replaced the original thermostat with a new OEM. 250k miles...

The OEM radiator looks like it is only $250 though, that is not bad at all. This is a superseded part number though, so maybe it is a "MVP" replacement given the price?
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...603.html#16400

Interesting the parts diagram shows the radiator core, seals, end tanks as an exploded view (even though they come as an assembly).
Yea I thought it was the tension clamp failing, the hose did not have any cracks or signs of dry rot, it was fitted very snuggly, yet the leak would happen when the engine was running, under pressure. Replaced with an AutoZone clamp, would still leak under pressure, so I figured the hose became deformed and could not create a seal. Then while climbing under the vehicle saw the second leak as mentioned. Strange two leaks on same side of radiator, to happen at the same time. But the silver lining is was able to do it all at once. The vehicle is not driven very much, I'm gone for my work a lot and have a second car to boot, maybe 4-6k miles a year. Dissapointed it failed at less than 80k miles.
I do all my maintenance by time periods and not milage, unless its something durable, I barely drive it enough in a year to justify the 5k/6 month tire rotation.
Old 02-14-24, 01:33 AM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mike202
Rockauto has a Denso radiator for $217; I am pretty sure Denso makes the OEM radiator.
I think so and I am a huge Rockauto fan but I have become wary of their "OE" items. A few recent examples from Rockauto:
1. I bought Denso plugs and they are made in USA (not Japan) and honestly looked like crap. The pad on the ground electrode is visibly off center and overall they look lower quality than the Japan Denso I removed.
I thought I was doing well picking OEM but I regret not choosing NGK. I honestly regret installing them but it was already apart and I didn't want to do the job twice.
2. Bought a Bando OE belt but they are not the exact same. I did more reading online and others have reported the same issue. Recommend avoiding.
3. Bought the Denso coil boot and spring set. They are not at all the same as the OEM parts. I did not used the springs, looked terrible and different design/coating. I used the boots since I had it apart, but the design is clearly different.

So, while a good source for many items I will likely buy the radiator from Toyota when the time comes.

I almost bought new KYB struts from RA but have read some info/photos online that the Toyota KYB has different damping and may be overall higher quality. KYB said they are identical but I just don't believe it.

I actually just ordered OEM belt, idler, tensioner to replace them.
Then I saw the fan clutch pulley has a bearing behind it! That "support structure" is actually quite expensive but I am bummed to be leaving that bearing untouched. I wish it was accessible to re-grease. The idler and tensioner do not appear to be.

I suppose the alternator also has two bearings I am not replacing at the same time as well so maybe it is ok.
I will check how the fan clutch pulley bearing feels when I have it apart.

Last edited by gx460z2011; 02-14-24 at 01:36 AM.
ronsatour5 (02-19-24)
Old 02-20-24, 06:37 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I'd also replace the water pump and thermostat. It's about time.

Quick Reply: 2012 gx coolant dripping from hose connected to top of radiator