Wheel Spacer Brand

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 08:29 AM
Supersizeal
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacer Brand

Hi All,

I just purchase a new 2023 GX 460 and I hoping you guys can provide some information on some wheel spacers.

I usually use H&R wheel spacers, but I can't seem to find them for this car. It's possible that they don't make them? What brand is everyone using and how bigger are they running without to much poke.

Thanks!

Super
Old 02-13-24, 09:10 AM
BullionGX
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Spidertrax appears to be the quality ones to get. I haven't gotten mine yet but those are the ones to get from the research I have done.

model# WHS007
Old 02-13-24, 09:26 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 790 Likes on 587 Posts

This place is in Nevada and makes any size you want, you would want the Bora spacers I think.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com

Last edited by Gerf; 02-13-24 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-13-24, 09:30 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BullionGX
Spidertrax appears to be the quality ones to get. I haven't gotten mine yet but those are the ones to get from the research I have done.

model# WHS007
/\This. Can't vouch for the part number, as it would vary depending on width, but Spidertrax are the ticket.

Mark
Old 02-13-24, 12:14 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

None ... buy wheels with the preferred backspacing.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
Carnevino (02-14-24), IanG (02-13-24)
Old 02-15-24, 04:58 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
None ... buy wheels with the preferred backspacing.
What's wrong with spacers?
Old 02-15-24, 10:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonshonda
What's wrong with spacers?
Quality Spacer ... all good if installed properly ... but then at a later date, the brake rotors need to be replaced ... so does the "mechanic" understand or follow the proper procedure for re-installation ? ... a potential for catastrophic failure no matter the quality of the spacer. So for me ... unless I am doing my own maintenance ... this is a variable that represents an unnecessary risk for many owners. A wheel coming off at speed is not a good thing. Wheels with the preferred offset (backspace) completely averts the above.

Last edited by ASE; 02-15-24 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-16-24, 04:42 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

^If a "mechanic" can't be bothered to torque lug nuts they shouldn't be a mechanic. Not sure how a wheel would fly off if the lug nuts on the spacers aren't able to fall off as they are sandwiched in place. They could come loose, but they can't ever completely unthread themselves.
Old 02-16-24, 04:54 AM
ASE
Pole Position

^ there is a past post on this forum with a picture where that is exactly what happened ... "mechanic" did not properly torque the spacer after replacing the rotor ... amazing someone did not get injured or worse.

Loose = Wobble = Catastrophic Failure. We're not talking about the wheel falling off in the driveway ... at-speed forces break things ...

If one is competent and properly installs quality wheel spacers ... all good ... but for me, I would not recommend to anyone relying on those that claim to be "mechanics" these days.

Last edited by ASE; 02-16-24 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-16-24, 09:13 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I've commented on this forum several times about my experience with spacers. I was severely burnt on my lower half after a wheel spacer failed and came up through the firewall of a Subaru STI and basically landed in my lap. The issue (one of many) is keeping perfect torque or lack thereof. If you go to get your wheels rotated, brake work or anything else that might require you to remove the wheel then they must be retorqued properly. They can cause a lot of damage and injury. You own a Lexus...why go the cheap route? These aren't Honda Civics you're trying to slam or get wheel poke or "stance" as how they use to call it. Upgrade your wheels and do it the right way...pay once/cry once is my advice. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnevino:
ASE (02-16-24), Hrocks (02-18-24)
Old 02-16-24, 09:52 AM
skeener
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Won't spacers (or an offset via another source), which increases the distance between the tire contact patch and bearing, increase the moment arm, and resultant bending moment on the bearing? That plus lug tensile load? Or is the offset effect reacted solely by the control arms?
Old 02-16-24, 11:12 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Yes ... in theory, increased outboard offset does increase the load on the wheel bearings ... but I have not found that to be a consideration ... given Toyota over-designs everything ... so have not experienced any wheel bearing difference on more than multiple 4-Runners ... Sequoia ... FJ Cruiser ... and multiple GX's ...

Bumping the edge of the tire tread vertical to the edge of the fender is what I have always done ... looks planted and commanding without being too aggressive. Cannot stand the OEM Toyota "Soccer Mom Stance" ... so have always purchased new wheels ... 8" to 8.5" wide with an additional 18-25mm of outboard offset depending on the wheel width.

Last edited by ASE; 02-16-24 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-17-24, 06:28 AM
skeener
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Yes ... in theory, increased outboard offset does increase the load on the wheel bearings ... but I have not found that to be a consideration ... given Toyota over-designs everything ... so have not experienced any wheel bearing difference on more than multiple 4-Runners ... Sequoia ... FJ Cruiser ... and multiple GX's ...

Bumping the edge of the tire tread vertical to the edge of the fender is what I have always done ... looks planted and commanding without being too aggressive. Cannot stand the OEM Toyota "Soccer Mom Stance" ... so have always purchased new wheels ... 8" to 8.5" wide with an additional 18-25mm of outboard offset depending on the wheel width.
That is good to know. It is interesting to me how much this additional offset topic is debated. Granted, the load path may not be the easiest to visualize.
Old 02-18-24, 06:18 PM
Supersizeal
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Always run H&R spacers and never had any issues with any of my cars.

maybe I’m just lucky. 🤷‍♂️
Old 02-18-24, 06:33 PM
ASE
Pole Position

^ two different discussions happening on this post ... quality of the spacer ... yes, Spidertrax and H&R are both quality products. But for me, the bigger consideration is the additional risk these spacers potentially represent when one relies on a "mechanic" as discussed in earlier posts ... IMHO ... unless one is competent and does their own maintenance ... I would never recommend spacers.