GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New Potential GX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 03:05 PM
Iggy913
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Potential GX Owner

Greetings all from Northeast North Carolina. I'm looking to purchase a GX in the coming months, not new, most likely something in the late 2018-2020 timeframe. I have some basic questions and I apologize is they are found in one of the stickies above. I am a competent mechanic so I'm not too worried about what exactly to look for in a pre-purchase inspection, however I have some wants and I'm curious what I might be looking for in terms of an exact model.

I really enjoy a quality sound system, I don't need license plate rattling bass, but I do like quality speakers. With that in mind I'd like to find a GX with the upgraded Mark Levinson system, does this limit me to the Luxury models only?

I also like the capability offered by the MTS and CC systems, but it looks like they can be added after the fact for not a lot of money, so I don't need to find something with it from the factory, I believe most of the Luxury models have these options as well?

Lastly I would like to lift it, ever so slightly to clear a 32" tire, with that in mind is it worth looking for something with the air/adjustable suspension if I'm just going to replace it for a nice set of aftermarket shocks and springs.

It would seem like to get the upgraded sound system and CC and MTS I would need a Luxury model, with the Offroad Package. However the Luxury model also comes with the adjustable air suspension that I would be replacing when I go at the suspension system to fit larger tires, so I'd be paying for an option that I'm just going to remove. Does that sound about correct?

Last edited by Iggy913; 02-20-24 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 02-20-24, 06:25 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

MTS/CC can be added, see here: https://lexusgxor.com/mods:body

Look like the ML audio was optional on any trim in 2018, see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-changes.html
Old 02-20-24, 07:56 PM
RJinVA
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I will say that the stock audio system in my 2019 GX was pretty underwhelming. It still kind of is but somehow audio is a little better after adding the Beatsonic carplay adapter. In comparison, I got rid of a Ford Maverick base XL model and the stock sound system in that which had 6 speakers was lightyears better than the stock sound system in my 2019 GX.
Old 02-21-24, 03:58 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

That appears to be an error in the brochure on the '18

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...x-brochure.pdf

I've never seen an ML outside these in US Market

10-13 Premium

14-23 Luxury

21-23 Premium Plus
Old 02-21-24, 05:37 AM
ColdIron
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

As to your last question:
However the Luxury model also comes with the adjustable air suspension that I would be replacing when I go at the suspension system to fit larger tires, so I'd be paying for an option that I'm just going to remove. Does that sound about correct?

I have a 19 Luxury with factory hitch and the largest tire you can fit in the spare location is 31.7" which most consider 32". If you go any larger then you are going to have to look at an alternative way to carry your spare, or remove the hitch. I tow and need the hitch and personally like the factory suspension. No lift.

Had rubbing on the wheel well inner bolt head and until installed sliders did the zip tie bolt mod. A flatter bolt head works as well for a long term solution. Or better yet cut the low hanging sidesteps (and front bumper) and take care of it for good.

Mine came with CC but not MTS and added it soon after I bought it. For whatever reason a lot of the Lux in that timeframe came with CC but not MTS. it is not spendy to add it.

The Mark Levinson system needs input with enough information in it to bring it to life. Hadn't had Sirius since it was just that and XM was a competitor. GX came with a free 3 month trial of SiriusXM and as soon as I switched from FM to it they got me and signed up for a year. Even without my hearing aids in night and day difference On my home stereo system I have the sub crossovers and low range set to more musical than LFE, much like the ML has from the factory.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColdIron:
buckbrown (02-22-24), BullionGX (02-22-24)
Old 02-21-24, 06:30 AM
NSpooner
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You would not need to remove the airbag system to do a lift. You can 'trick' it to have the neutral height in a higher position. You can also get extended bags from airbagman to go up to 3" taller.

As far as I've seen you can only get ML on the luxury. Its pretty good but doesn't blow me away with sound quality. It does get pretty dang loud without distortion though.
Old 02-22-24, 04:36 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by NSpooner
You would not need to remove the airbag system to do a lift. You can 'trick' it to have the neutral height in a higher position. You can also get extended bags from airbagman to go up to 3" taller.
Cornfed suspension has a lift for the new Tundra which has rear air springs. They thought it should work for the GX platform as well.

https://www.cornfedsuspension.com/
The following users liked this post:
ASE (02-22-24)