GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 GX 460 Gotchas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24 | 01:50 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus

P.S. Those GM products have woefully low quality interior pieces and transmission issues. The blend door actuators for the HVAC on those are a dash out job and could occur with as little as 35k miles. Great engine and comfy seats they have, build quality they do not. Also check out either the Toyota Grand Highlander or it's Lexus equivalent TX (if they're out yet). They are very roomy and have the Toyota build quality to stand behind.[/QUOTE]

Agree with everything Mr. Torgue mentioned about the GX and GM vehicles except the comment, "Great engine". (Take a look on the Tahoe/Yukon forums and search valve lifters. You will find nightmarish problems.) I had many full size GM SUV's including Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade. My favorite was my 2010 Tahoe LTZ. I wanted to replace it in 2014...no way. They all went downhill when GM redesigned them in '14. That's when I became a GX cult follower. As some have mentioned, there are some quirky features, notably the barn door. (BTW, Rover and Ford are making them all the rage in their most popular vehicles, the Defender and Bronco!) I bought my first GX in '16, actually two of them, another in '21 and '23. I still own three of them. The '16 has a little over 100k on the clock, but if you drove it, you wouldn't know it from new. Change the oil, rotate tires and follow the maintenece schedule and you will have a solid and trouble free ride. They should show a picture of the GX in the dictionary next to the word "bulletproof".
Old 03-09-24 | 10:39 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hrocks
https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus

P.S. Those GM products have woefully low quality interior pieces and transmission issues. The blend door actuators for the HVAC on those are a dash out job and could occur with as little as 35k miles. Great engine and comfy seats they have, build quality they do not. Also check out either the Toyota Grand Highlander or it's Lexus equivalent TX (if they're out yet). They are very roomy and have the Toyota build quality to stand behind.
Agree with everything Mr. Torgue mentioned about the GX and GM vehicles except the comment, "Great engine". (Take a look on the Tahoe/Yukon forums and search valve lifters. You will find nightmarish problems.) I had many full size GM SUV's including Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade. My favorite was my 2010 Tahoe LTZ. I wanted to replace it in 2014...no way. They all went downhill when GM redesigned them in '14. That's when I became a GX cult follower. As some have mentioned, there are some quirky features, notably the barn door. (BTW, Rover and Ford are making them all the rage in their most popular vehicles, the Defender and Bronco!) I bought my first GX in '16, actually two of them, another in '21 and '23. I still own three of them. The '16 has a little over 100k on the clock, but if you drove it, you wouldn't know it from new. Change the oil, rotate tires and follow the maintenece schedule and you will have a solid and trouble free ride. They should show a picture of the GX in the dictionary next to the word "bulletproof".[/QUOTE]

I meant great as on powerful. Sorry poor choice of words.
Old 08-27-24 | 02:09 PM
LexusCotanak
4th Gear

Default Did New Tundra engine recalled on you?

Originally Posted by Climber1
I just recently traded my 2023 in and replaced with a Tundra. I'm a die-hard Toyota fan and the GX was awesome and fun to drive. The V8 purrs and the ride on the highway was great and the size was about perfect in my opinion. My only gripe with it was the premium fuel requirement and terrible MPG. I drove it for a year and the premium fuel issue just kept bothering me and I could never get over it. In my area, we do not have 91 octane and 93 is the only premium available and it is pricey. I drive a lot of miles and having a gas guzzler that required premium started to wear me out. If that is not important to you, I would absolutely recommend the 460. Super reliable, smooth and you get a really nice vehicle for a decent price.

My '23 Tundra is nice too and I'm averaging 19.5mpg with 87 octane so its not too bad and it is crazy powerful. Although, this thing is a beast and not so easy to maneuver in town.

how is tundra engine nowadays?
Old 08-27-24 | 02:30 PM
peteym80
Rookie

Originally Posted by ejbeaty
Hi guys,

New to the Lexus brand (and Toyota) but currently looking for a quiet, comfortable, cross country road tripping vehicle that can fit our three large dogs and cargo. I think if fold down the 2nd row seats, a gx460 of this generation will fit the bill. There's a nice 2021 here locally. I'm also considering Escalades/Navigators/Yukon Denalis and am open to other suggestions. Price range is under $40k.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with this year/model? Common expensive failures? Must-have options? Etc? I'm obviously drawn to Lexus for the reliability but don't actually know anything about this specific model.

Thanks!
P.S - I have zero interest in the off roading/overlanding capabilities of these. I have a Rubicon I already like to beat the **** out of, so this is strictly for highway cruising.

My family and I have been Lexus/Toyota buyers for over 30 years (4 Runners, Tacomas, GS, GXs). We've never owned a car that did not make it at least 14 years before trading it in.

When looking for a GX, you may want to consider a '22 since they have updated the infotainment system with a new screen and Apple Carplay. If you are going to keep it a long time, maybe I would wait till the '22s get closer to your price range and buy one with the updated electronics or pay a little more for a '22.
Old 08-27-24 | 05:59 PM
TN57
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Alternative opinion: I think the GX is an absolutely outstanding in-town rig, but a sub-optimal high speed highway cruiser. We’ve got plenty of highway miles out here in the west that are posted at 80-85mph. When the highway points upward at those speeds (which happens a lot), I find that our GX’s struggle to keep pace without manually downshifting to keep the power up. It’s enough of a chore that I’ve never liked taking them out of town.
Traded a trouble-free 2016 for a new 2023 recently. One thing I noticed is the new one accelerates perceptibly better. Supposedly the engine specs are the same but who knows?