GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Towing: Luxury Air Suspension & WDH Combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 06:36 AM
ste285
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing: Luxury Air Suspension & WDH Combo

TOWING: Luxury Air Suspension & Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). How do you use this combination as Air Suspension has determined heights?

(1) Set suspension at Normal and turn OFF, install WDH, and tow with Air Suspension OFF?
(2) Set suspension to Normal, turn it off, install WDH, and turn air suspension back on?

The issue with (2) that comes to mind is that the WDH measurements/set-up will be changed once the Air Suspension chooses to level back up.
Old 03-17-24, 07:34 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

When setting up your hitch, with trailer disconnected, measure distance from ground to top of each front & rear wheel arch.
Connect trailer and let air suspension level GX, then adjust torsion bars on the WDH so measurements you recorder earlier are as close as you can reasonably get.
The air will self level the rear but the front will be higher, transfering load through the WDH will increase load to front.
Old 03-17-24, 07:46 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 70 Posts

What @IanG said. Your goal it to get the front to carry the same weight when towing as it does when you aren't, or as close as you can reasonably get to that. I do the same thing with my tow rig (an Excursion with manual air bags in the rear).

Mark
The following users liked this post:
ste285 (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24, 10:04 AM
ste285
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by IanG
When setting up your hitch, with trailer disconnected, measure distance from ground to top of each front & rear wheel arch.
Connect trailer and let air suspension level GX, then adjust torsion bars on the WDH so measurements you recorder earlier are as close as you can reasonably get.
The air will self level the rear but the front will be higher, transfering load through the WDH will increase load to front.
Awesome. Makes sense.
Keep the car running and allow the air suspension to adjust "continuously" (1) when the trailer tongue is set on the hitch and (2) when adjusting the bars of WDH.
Set up WDH as any other car/trailer using measurements.
Old 03-19-24, 04:27 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

After I've got my WDH already dialed in what I usually do when loading up is to hitch the trailer, then raise AHC to High, connect and tension the WDH, then set it back to N and drive. When we offload I set to High, release the tension on the WDH, release the hitch lock, then set the AHC to Low and release the trailer. AHC is a night and day difference when towing heavier loads, and you will be happy you have it. It really does transform the GX into a different vehicle when towing.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 04:44 AM
ste285
3rd Gear

Great to hear. I made sure to get the Luxury trim because of this but wasn't thinking about how WDHs play into the equation. Thanks for the additional feedback.
Old 03-21-24, 05:14 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ste285
Great to hear. I made sure to get the Luxury trim because of this but wasn't thinking about how WDHs play into the equation. Thanks for the additional feedback.
Yeah like others have said the main purpose of a WDH is to put weight back onto the front axle, as it's kinda the most important axle! haha

I've towed heavier loads w/ and w/o the factory air springs, and like I said the factory air springs are far superior to factory springs even with the helper airbags from firestone.