GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 GX460: Grom VLine vs Beatsonic vs ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 03:54 PM
JoshFink
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2010 GX460: Grom VLine vs Beatsonic vs ??

I've been reading threads over and over the past couple of days since I bought a new (to me) 2010 with Navigation and a stock backup camera. I'm really excited about the vehicle, but I do miss my CarPlay that I have in other vehicles.

Everything I've read seems to point to Vline vs Beatsonic. Though, from reading it seems that they have had their issues in the past but have potentially received firmware updates.

With that in mind can I get an update review, correction, recommendation on what the preference is?

Really, my only goal is to make it as easy as possible to either plug my phone (iPhone) in via USB or Wireless and have it as seamless as possible with CarPlay. I mainly use Waze, stream Spotify, send out text messages via Siri, etc.

Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 04:24 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

I have a 2010 and a GROM Vline2. I can confirm wired carplay works perfectly and effortlessly. Don't bother with the wireless carplay, it's just not reliable.

If you need more specific info I'd be happy to help. I exclusively use Waze and it's great. Also Sirius XM's app is also decent.
gromaudio (05-01-24)
Old 04-15-24, 05:50 PM
JoshFink
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
I have a 2010 and a GROM Vline2. I can confirm wired carplay works perfectly and effortlessly. Don't bother with the wireless carplay, it's just not reliable.

If you need more specific info I'd be happy to help. I exclusively use Waze and it's great. Also Sirius XM's app is also decent.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did have a couple of questions:
  • When you plug your phone in does it flip to car play or do you still need to press a button to flip it over?
  • How is the sound quality? Pretty good?
  • Anything else you can think of that someone should know when getting this? Any issues at all?
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-24, 08:04 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshFink
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did have a couple of questions:
  • When you plug your phone in does it flip to car play or do you still need to press a button to flip it over?
  • How is the sound quality? Pretty good?
  • Anything else you can think of that someone should know when getting this? Any issues at all?
Thanks for the help!
1. It auto switches over to carplay once connection is complete.
2. Sound quality is down to the source of your audio. It'll sound good as long as the source is good.
3. The only issue other than wireless carplay is that the unit does get hot if you live in a hot area or the country. I put mine in the glovebox to give it the best ventilation as possible. Most people seem to put it behind the factory radio or in the console. Neither of which provides enough ventilation.

Mine is almost 3 years old and I give it a B+ in terms of worth the price. If I had to change anything I'd like to not have an android OS. Though it is cool watching YouTube on the factory screen while driving with it while connected to my phone's hotspot. LOL.
Old 05-01-24, 12:23 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Thank you for your interest! We are happy to answer any questions you may have about GROM VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system for the integration of wireless CarPlay and Android Auto into your factory car stereo. We have the installation video here:

The model that will fit to your car stereo is LEX6, you can check both systems here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-lex6_.html

We also have an upcoming group buy order, check for the details here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...l#post11716256
The order starts on May 8th.
Old 05-09-24, 02:28 PM
lonepine
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running beatsonic for the past 4 months- including a 3k roadtrip. Have used it every day and not a single problem with the wired or wireless connection.

Can't speak for Grom.
cljones (05-31-24)
Old 05-10-24, 06:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Beatsonic has worked flawlessly for me and the wife since I installed it in her GX460 just after Christmas, I've only used it wirelessly so far.

Grom Vline2 I installed and removed again inside of a week, it was obviously going to be a huge headache for me to have in my wife's primary vehicle, not worth the angry tech support calls that were in my future.
cljones (05-31-24)
Old 05-10-24, 06:45 AM
paxromano
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Beatsonic unit on a new to me 2020 GX460 two months ago. After researching options and readying a lot of forums I choose Beatsonic and am very happy. Install took about 3 hours. If you can follow lego directions you can install a Beatsonic. I use wireless only. I installed the USB connection in my center console. Very happy with this unit.
cljones (05-31-24)
Old 05-10-24, 08:24 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by IanB2

Grom Vline2 I installed and removed again inside of a week, it was obviously going to be a huge headache for me to have in my wife's primary vehicle, not worth the angry tech support calls that were in my future.
It's interesting to know what was not performing with our system in your vehicle. We have many customers with the Lexus GX, and the last time we installed the GROM VLine VL2 system in the customer's vehicle was yesterday. We are always happy to help, and our technical team is friendly.

Wireless Android Auto using GROM VLine VL2 System on Lexus GX 460 2017

Split screen view of wireless Android Auto using GROM VLine VL2 system on Lexus GX 460 2017

Old 06-04-24, 07:34 AM
oshkalabah
10th Gear

I think the VLite VT2 would accomplish what I want (wired CarPlay). Easy to install?
gromaudio (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 08:55 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by oshkalabah
I think the VLite VT2 would accomplish what I want (wired CarPlay). Easy to install?
The installation depends on your technical ability. You will need to disassemble the front panels of the dashboard to get to the back of the stereo and display. In general, many of our users install themselves as this way they can control the process of the installation.
What is the model and year of your Lexus? We can check if we have the install video for this specific vehicle, and you can watch and see what the installation involves.
Old 06-05-24, 08:56 AM
oshkalabah
10th Gear

Thanks! 2012 RX350 w/Navigation and Remote Touch. Edit: I've replaced head units in Toyotas and Hondas before as well, so I've got a few spudgers and pry tools.

Last edited by oshkalabah; 06-05-24 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-05-24, 10:20 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by oshkalabah
Thanks! 2012 RX350 w/Navigation and Remote Touch. Edit: I've replaced head units in Toyotas and Hondas before as well, so I've got a few spudgers and pry tools.
We have the install video for this vehicle here:
If you have the previous experience, you should be fine installing yourself.