GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Recommended Oil for 2019 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 09:02 AM
summerst
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recommended Oil for 2019 GX460

Which Mobil one oil is best for this model?
Advanced fuel economy version or high mileage?

Last edited by summerst; 04-20-24 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-20-24, 11:57 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by summerst
Mobil-1 5w-30 Extended Performance ...
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (04-20-24)
Old 04-20-24, 11:58 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Many oil threads on this forum ...
Johnny Rad (04-20-24)
Old 04-22-24, 05:13 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Just a note that the suggested oil is 0W-20. I haven't seen oil analysis that compares the benefits of various weights in the GX.
Old 04-22-24, 06:21 AM
ASE
Pole Position

^^ Rest-of-World owners manual(s) do not recommend 0W-20 in all ambient operating temperatures ... only in the US is 0w-20 recommended ... CAFE standards ... so for me, I trust Toyota Engineering over Government Regulation.
Old 04-22-24, 07:44 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

i use 0w20. mfgs spec this in large part to get better mpg numbers. epa has fleet metrics that need to be met.
also take a loot at the temps where you live. 0 vs 5 and 20 vs 30 might not be a big deal. alaska vs arizona might be a larger delta
if 0 20 can work you save some mpg. hotter area might get a theoretical increase in start wear.

ive used all the mobil1 and even tech whatever the walmart brand 0w20 20k. realize that walmart doesnt make oil, they bulk buy and put into different containers, own the logistics, etc.
the slight bit of additives to tailor for high miles, burns oil, etc can help in some cases.
project farmer i think thats his name did a test on these.
plus theyre all same certified for certs that matter

Old 04-22-24, 04:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

^^ Huh ... What ?? ... Word Salad ...
Old 04-23-24, 04:40 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
^^ Rest-of-World owners manual(s) do not recommend 0W-20 in all ambient operating temperatures ... only in the US is 0w-20 recommended ... CAFE standards ... so for me, I trust Toyota Engineering over Government Regulation.
I understand that thinner oils might yield better MPG, but they will also perform better on cold starts and from what I understand cold starts are a large source of wear on the engine. I live in Wisconsin so I do need cold weather starting performance, and do tow so maybe a 0w-30 would be the most ideal combination, but that seems to be non-existent so?
Old 04-23-24, 05:56 AM
ColdIron
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

CAFE is responsible for the move to 0W20 and it has been for more than a dozen years now by Toyota. Supposedly they have been working on the engines to handle it especially small parts for at least 20 years. That makes sense to me. Most all Pacific Rim and European auto makers have moved to 0W20 because of it. While CAFE has been in place for 50 years CAFE expectations don't make sense to me. Especially the new standards coming up and the fines associated with them. The Alliance for Automotive Innovation which includes Toyota says they "exceed maximum feasibility" and that is about the only thing about CAFE that makes sense.

It is true that Exxon Mobil makes the OEM oil for Toyota. But they make it to Toyota Specs which are totally different than Mobil 1. The Toyota oil contains almost 800 ppm molybdenum and Mobil 1 variants contain only 120 ppm like most oils. 800 ppm moly is one of the factors among others as to why 0W20isn't really a factor in the Toyota engines. I will pay for the Toyota Oil personally. With that said a random UOA report from BITOG from a GX460 with M1 shows no ill effects at 6781 miles

No idea of use case or environmental factors for that sample. Changing your oil frequently is more important than all the other factors including using oil with unicorn farts IME. I catch flak often for 5K changes because Lexus says 10K is acceptable. What many fail to realize is that Lexus specifies 5K or 6 months under the support FAQ section for "Special Operating Conditions" and I tick every single one of those conditions in any 6 month period:

Lexus vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed.

Engines that recommend 5w-20 conventional oil, but allow the optional use of 0w-20 synthetic oil, as per the Owner's Manual, will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month (whichever comes first) oil change intervals if the 0w-20 is used.

If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
Old 04-23-24, 07:09 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonshonda
I understand that thinner oils might yield better MPG, but they will also perform better on cold starts and from what I understand cold starts are a large source of wear on the engine. I live in Wisconsin so I do need cold weather starting performance, and do tow so maybe a 0w-30 would be the most ideal combination, but that seems to be non-existent so?
^^ 5w versus 0w is a rounding error ... unless one is in sub-zero temperatures.

Wear as to cold starts is specific to cylinder wear ... given if a daily driver ... there is enough oil film to deal with a cold start relative to the bearings and the valvetrain before full oil pressure is available.

The real cold-start issue is the fact that the fuel charge ... fuel in suspension ... condenses on the cylinder walls given the cylinder walls are cold ... so compromises (dilutes) the protective oil film ... cylinder wear / rings and pistons is the real conversation here ... not 0w or 5w oil flow ... with both being close to the same in the majority of ambient temperatures.

For me ... the 30w is more important ... as others have posted ... use "Special Operating" recommendations by Toyota if one is a long-term / reliability / run forever owner. Lease owners need not pay attention ...

Last edited by ASE; 04-23-24 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 09:26 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Not another F'n oil thread...LOL These always are opinionated and supported by sample sizes of 1 (That oil works for me...and swear by it). The only long term oil comparisons I've seen that were accompanied by data, were on Porches and the study suggested oil changes are way too frequent (synthetics can last >20K). The main reason for oil changes was contaminants (e.g., dust and water) or to assess potential engine wear by inspecting the oil for metallic particles. As ASE suggests, the differences between some of these weights is negligible. There are some additives that you may want to pay attention to, but will you ever realize the impact...I doubt it.
Old 04-24-24, 03:43 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Statman
Not another F'n oil thread...LOL These always are opinionated and supported by sample sizes of 1 (That oil works for me...and swear by it). The only long term oil comparisons I've seen that were accompanied by data, were on Porches and the study suggested oil changes are way too frequent (synthetics can last >20K). The main reason for oil changes was contaminants (e.g., dust and water) or to assess potential engine wear by inspecting the oil for metallic particles. As ASE suggests, the differences between some of these weights is negligible. There are some additives that you may want to pay attention to, but will you ever realize the impact...I doubt it.
Are you implying the world doesn't revolve around opinions? As you mention, almost every single discussion involving oil is 100% based on opinion, and I have yet to see much in the way of facts. Until you send YOUR used motor oil in for testing, you have ZERO proof of when it should be changed.
Old 04-25-24, 07:28 AM
ASE
Pole Position

This is not opinion ... it's unfiltered (free of regulatory override) directly from Toyota Engineering ... the experts ... with change frequency based on use conditions ...

Last edited by ASE; 04-25-24 at 12:33 PM.
tntcandy (04-25-24)
Old 04-26-24, 06:15 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

there are plenty of studies available with n>1 out there if you look for them. each use case is different but there is a common range that applies 5/95% user. for both oil weight results and maintenance interval results.
I change my oil once a year, about 17k miles. have been doing that way for about 175k miles. havent seen any issues. havent sent in any oil for testing, no need. doesnt burn any, oil always looks the same coming out.
wear comparison tests 0 vs 5 are available as well.
Old 04-26-24, 07:21 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by John00
there are plenty of studies available with n>1 out there if you look for them. each use case is different but there is a common range that applies 5/95% user. for both oil weight results and maintenance interval results.
I change my oil once a year, about 17k miles. have been doing that way for about 175k miles. havent seen any issues. havent sent in any oil for testing, no need. doesnt burn any, oil always looks the same coming out.
wear comparison tests 0 vs 5 are available as well.
Maybe you should consult with Toyota engineering ... so they can integrate your wisdom into their ROW recommended owners manual maintenance procedures.