GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fumoto Oil Valve, long or short?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 02:15 PM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fumoto Oil Valve, long or short?

Trying to decide between the short or long nipple Fumoto oil valve for my 2020 GX460. The short one is currently out of stock; I'm looking for comments from anyone with a long one installed (F-133N) with stock skit plate. Is it too long?

I have seen the debates for and against these, and I'm not really trying to continue that debate. I have used them in the past and like them, I'm just trying to decide if the long one is too long. I would appreciate any insight from those with direct experience.

Thanks

Lee
2020 GX460

The following users liked this post:
paxromano (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 02:08 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cljones
Trying to decide between the short or long nipple Fumoto oil valve for my 2020 GX460. The short one is currently out of stock; I'm looking for comments from anyone with a long one installed (F-133N) with stock skit plate. Is it too long?

I have seen the debates for and against these, and I'm not really trying to continue that debate. I have used them in the past and like them, I'm just trying to decide if the long one is too long. I would appreciate any insight from those with direct experience.

Thanks

Lee
2020 GX460
I had the same question and couldn't get a good answer so I bought the F133S and the adapter for the hose to attach. No Issues with fitting with the stock plate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bergy24:
cljones (05-07-24), SCOFF82 (05-14-24)
Old 05-07-24, 09:01 AM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

@Bergy24 Thanks for the reply! I understand you installed the short one, but do you think there would be enough room for the longer one (I think it is only about an .5 inch longer per the website)? The short one (F133S) is currently out of stock on the Fumoto website so I will likely have to go with the longer one (or wait to see if the short one comes back in stock). Thanks again!
Old 05-07-24, 09:34 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I honestly do not recall how much room was between the skid plate that the Short Nipple Valve.
Hopefully someone will chime in with verification.
Old 05-07-24, 10:09 AM
RJinVA
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the B103SX which works perfect. I have aftermarket skid plates on and I keep a short hose attached to it. When it's time to change oil I just pop the hose down and open the valve. I also like the lower profile in the event something does crush or breach the skid plate I don't have to worry as much about damaging the valve and pan
The following 2 users liked this post by RJinVA:
cljones (05-08-24), SCOFF82 (05-14-24)
Old 05-07-24, 02:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I went with the long Fumoto years ago and still a lot of clearance even after I put Budbuilt skids on. This was with stock skid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10464088

F103N: Long Nipple Valve with 12mm-1.25 Threads

https://www.fumotousa.com/f103n.html
cljones (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 02:08 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Neither ... why restrict full oil drain purge in favor of not getting one's hands messy ... there are latex gloves for that ...
mike202 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 05:36 PM
shawngt2
Driver

I went with the original Fumoto. Had no interest in attaching a hose because the plug points down. I think the opening is a little larger as well.
cljones (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 08:04 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I had one on a different vehicle, they always made me nervous sticking out, so I would say always get the shorter one. Psychologically, it bothered me that it wasn't as low profile as the stock drain bolt. I'm sure though actual incidents are incredibly rare.

My experience with them was it was sort of a rounding error in terms of making an oil change easier. I can see the merit in certain applications, but really changing the oil filter was always the challenge in cars, the drain bolt usually had easy access. Also a bit expensive for what it is.
Old 05-09-24, 08:18 AM
Pierregirard
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For your 2020 Lexus GX460, the Fumoto F-133N oil drain valve with a long nipple should work nicely with the stock skid plate. It makes oil changes easier, and you don't have to worry about it getting in the way or causing any safety issues.
cljones (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 09:46 AM
RJinVA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shawngt2
I went with the original Fumoto. Had no interest in attaching a hose because the plug points down. I think the opening is a little larger as well.
My experience with oil changes on the GX is that given the height and very low viscosity of the 0W-20 oil at operating temps, it makes a gigantic mess as it flows out at a very high rate. The hose allows me to direct the flow right into my oil container. I also like the super low profile of the SX unit. For the person asking about residual oil left over due to using the valve, I thought the same thing so out of curiosity I let the oil drain until it was just a drip with the valve in then I removed the valve and it was the same drip so in essence, no the fumoto does not inhibit draining all the oil.
The following 3 users liked this post by RJinVA:
cljones (05-09-24), Rambo58 (05-10-24), SCOFF82 (05-14-24)
Old 05-10-24, 07:17 AM
Rambo58
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJinVA
My experience with oil changes on the GX is that given the height and very low viscosity of the 0W-20 oil at operating temps, it makes a gigantic mess as it flows out at a very high rate. The hose allows me to direct the flow right into my oil container. I also like the super low profile of the SX unit. For the person asking about residual oil left over due to using the valve, I thought the same thing so out of curiosity I let the oil drain until it was just a drip with the valve in then I removed the valve and it was the same drip so in essence, no the fumoto does not inhibit draining all the oil.
I went to the ValvoMax years ago on all my vehicles for the hose. My shop is way too full to ever get a car into it so I change my oil under an open carport. There always seems to be a good breeze blowing that loves to blow draining oil all over the concrete, and the hose eliminates all that. Being able to put the hose straight into old 5 quart oil containers, cap them up and done is the ticket. Never tried the Fumoto, but what drew me to the ValvoMax was the secondary cap with seal that is a backup if the spring loaded valve ever starts leaking through, Either one though in my opinion makes changing oil much better. We have 4 cars and I seem to be changing oil ALL the time.
Old 05-10-24, 08:08 AM
BradTank
Racer

But what's the mess like when you replace the oil filter?

With perfectly clean oil, my guess is the smaller valve is not an issue, but as time goes on, I could see it getting gunked up and inhibiting outflow at some level. I did notice it takes longer to do a drain with the Fumoto, it's clearly a restriction. You just have to wait longer for a complete drain. Does some of the "gunkier" oil get held back?

Let's put it this way, it's never going to flush out as well as just opening a drain bolt.

Last edited by BradTank; 05-10-24 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-10-24, 08:12 AM
RJinVA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BradTank
But what's the mess like when you replace the oil filter?

With perfectly clean oil, my guess is the restricted valve is not an issue, but as time goes on, I could see it getting gunked up and inhibiting flow at some level.
I haven't had a mess at all with the oil filter. The first time I did the oil from the pan though it shot out with full force and got all over my garage floor. Now I just put the hose right into an empty jug, when it's full close the valve and open back up when I have another empty jug in place. If you change your oil at regular intervals there should never be any gunk in your pan to clog up the fumoto....if someone is getting gunk they've waited too long between oil changes probably because they didn't have a fumoto valve to make the job so much easier and cleaner 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by RJinVA:
cljones (05-10-24), Rambo58 (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 01:56 PM
BradTank
Racer

Thumbs up

I haven't had a mess at all with the oil filter. The first time I did the oil from the pan though it shot out with full force and got all over my garage floor. Now I just put the hose right into an empty jug, when it's full close the valve and open back up when I have another empty jug in place.
I guess I didn't have as much trouble opening the drain valve as you did. The filter location though for the GX is a pain imo without a lift.
I also tried a Fumoto alternative, it straight up wouldn't drain the oil as well and I ditched it. All of them simply take longer to drain.
I've heard if you do get your oil changed at a shop, some impatient techs wont wait for it to drain all the way.
To me, it saves a crush washer, that's all about all. But if people are happy with it, all the power to them.

Last edited by BradTank; 05-10-24 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Fumoto Oil Valve, long or short?