GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone go from a pre-2022 to a post-2022 model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 07:07 AM
Kallus
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone go from a pre-2022 to a post-2022 model?

Hi everyone!

I've done a few searches on this, but haven't really found the answer I was looking for.

Has anyone gone from a MY 2010-2021 to a 2022 or 2023 model? If so, are you glad you did?

I see the 2022+ gets Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I'm not clear about whether the 2022 also gets Acoustic window upgrades (I think rear are added on the 2022+, as the 2021 has it on the windshield and front windows, but can't tell for sure). I'm looking for a GX460 and am not sure if it's worth spending a few more bucks on the 2022+ model. Looking at Consumer Reports, the 2021 model has like a 99 rating for reliability, whereas the 2022 is like an 86 (due to issues with brakes? and the new infotainment system; which is still amazing). Frankly, I really don't like the look of the 2022+ infotainment system. Seems confusing and disjointed. BUT, I'm finding prices aren't significantly cheaper on the 2021 model. I am somewhat familiar with the 2022 infotainment system, as it looks similar to what's in my wife's 2022 Highlander.

I intend to keep the car for the next 15+ years (I recently sold my 2007 Highlander because the tranny went up on it). I'm not in a hurry to buy. My daughter is taking over my Camry, and won't be driving until next May. But I would purchase now if the right deal came along.

Thank you!
Ken
Old 05-27-24, 07:33 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

I went from a 2021 to a 2023 and considered similar things as what you outlined above.

I liked the center console design of the 2021 with the switches for height control, DAC, and sport/comfort much more than the dials and buttons on the 2022+. The older design felt a bit more sophisticated to me.

My 2021 had some infotainment bugs where it would restart randomly, wouldn't connect to my phone, or I had to restart the car and the phone to get them to sync and work together. I also live in a hands free state and trying to use Waze meant I had to hold my phone in my hand and was more distracted.

Like you, knowing that I wanted to keep this GX for a long time to come, having CarPlay felt more future proof with infotainment and technology. Having my 2023 for almost a year now, I can confirm it certainly is and I’m much happier having the integration.

I also feel like the 2023 is somehow a bit quieter and smoother than my 2021, and my 2021 only had ~15k miles when I traded it in, so it’s not like I traded in some 100k mile beater for a brand new GX and am shocked that it’s not as worn out.

I would highly recommend a 2022+ and think it’s worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Kallus (05-28-24)
Old 05-27-24, 08:52 AM
Kallus
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by geckornr
I went from a 2021 to a 2023 and considered similar things as what you outlined above.

I liked the center console design of the 2021 with the switches for height control, DAC, and sport/comfort much more than the dials and buttons on the 2022+. The older design felt a bit more sophisticated to me.

My 2021 had some infotainment bugs where it would restart randomly, wouldn't connect to my phone, or I had to restart the car and the phone to get them to sync and work together. I also live in a hands free state and trying to use Waze meant I had to hold my phone in my hand and was more distracted.

Like you, knowing that I wanted to keep this GX for a long time to come, having CarPlay felt more future proof with infotainment and technology. Having my 2023 for almost a year now, I can confirm it certainly is and I’m much happier having the integration.

I also feel like the 2023 is somehow a bit quieter and smoother than my 2021, and my 2021 only had ~15k miles when I traded it in, so it’s not like I traded in some 100k mile beater for a brand new GX and am shocked that it’s not as worn out.

I would highly recommend a 2022+ and think it’s worth it.
Thanks for that! This is really helpful, since I'm also in a hands free state. Your logic about future proofing the vehicle is sound. I hadn't thought about it that way.

If there was a significant price difference I'd be more inclined to go with the 2021, but it looks like there's only a few thousand dollar difference between the 2021 and 2022. I'd prefer a 2023 (with the extra year of the new infotainment system in use), but they're a bit out of my price range. Fortunately I have time to wait until 2025 before I have to buy something.

Old 05-27-24, 09:25 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ve owned 5 GX’s. 2010,14,18,20 and now a 23. 23 is my favorite. The interior is so much quieter in the 23, but can’t comment on a 22 if it has the newer glass like the 23. My 2010, 14 and 20 had the KDSS lean, 2018 & 23 does/did not. I bought the 23 due to wanting the CarPlay along with the large screen. I have doubts about the new 550, especially a new model year so I really wanted to get a new 23. I’m so glad I did. I test drove an Overtrail last week and it’ should be badges a Toyota and not a Lexus. The interior is sooo cheap…like really cheap. I would say it’s more like a luxury 4Runner…kinda. Regardless, my opinion is the 23 is a bit nicer than the previous years, not by much…kinda like a nice wine that’s matured over the years.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carnevino:
geckornr (05-27-24), Kallus (05-28-24), tiadesiree (05-28-24)
Old 05-27-24, 09:51 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kallus
Hi everyone!

I've done a few searches on this, but haven't really found the answer I was looking for.

Has anyone gone from a MY 2010-2021 to a 2022 or 2023 model? If so, are you glad you did?

I see the 2022+ gets Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I'm not clear about whether the 2022 also gets Acoustic window upgrades (I think rear are added on the 2022+, as the 2021 has it on the windshield and front windows, but can't tell for sure). I'm looking for a GX460 and am not sure if it's worth spending a few more bucks on the 2022+ model. Looking at Consumer Reports, the 2021 model has like a 99 rating for reliability, whereas the 2022 is like an 86 (due to issues with brakes? and the new infotainment system; which is still amazing). Frankly, I really don't like the look of the 2022+ infotainment system. Seems confusing and disjointed. BUT, I'm finding prices aren't significantly cheaper on the 2021 model. I am somewhat familiar with the 2022 infotainment system, as it looks similar to what's in my wife's 2022 Highlander.

I intend to keep the car for the next 15+ years (I recently sold my 2007 Highlander because the tranny went up on it). I'm not in a hurry to buy. My daughter is taking over my Camry, and won't be driving until next May. But I would purchase now if the right deal came along.

Thank you!
Ken
Ken,

I currently own three 460's ('16, '21, '23) They are 99.5% the same in performance, ride, sound dampening etc. There are however some differences between all three, none of which would be in any way a turn off. Frankly, the best interior is in the '16. (Premium) The seat bolsters are leather (still smells great) and the wood is mahogany, and by far the richest looking, the steering wheel and shift lever are also unique and richer looking.

Both of the newer GX's are Prem+ with Sport Design packages. The main differences are that the steering wheels are right out of the RX, and the upholstery is Nulux, as they only used leather in the Lux models. Not at all a concern or comfort issue. These two also have captain's chairs and power third row seating, 19" wheels, front/rear "lip spoilers". Along with the fact that the '23 has Apple Car Play, there is a discernible difference in the ride and brake booster compared to my older models. I mentioned this in a previous post some time ago stating that while my perceptions were anecdotal, one of the esteemed forum members, Acrad, confirmed that there were indeed some changes made that would confirm my "butt 'o meter".

The infotainment system and controls for fan speed, AC and other functions were a constant point of criticism prior to '22. The touch screen was not at all intuitive, nor did it have CarPlay. Once you get used to it, you get used to it! The best part of the new system is that there are physical fan speed and A/C buttons that you can control without going through 3-4 touches. (BTW, if you think the Lexus system is "confusing and disjointed" check out the Genesis GV 80 menagerie. A couple of years ago I fell prey to all of the hype and test drove one. Didn't come close to the solid tightness of the GX. As I recall, the screen on this mess extended beyond halfway across the dash...even the salesman couldn't figure it all out.)

Both the '21 and '23 have "acoustic glass" in the front doors. It is simply and thankfully, laminated glass. I say thankfully, because I was driving on I-75 to the Ft. Myers airport in February of 2022 when I heard a very light ping. Turns out that of all windows, my driver's side window somehow got hit by a tiny stone and had three vertical cracks. Thankfully, Lexus had gone to "acoustic glass" in I believe, 2021. Had it been tempered glass at 80 MPH, I likely would have had major eye damage, and all three of us likely would have had facial and upper torso cuts, or worse. By the way, I just went into the garage and checked my '23, and the rears are still tempered glass.

Bottom line, I think you will be quite comfortable in whichever your choose. Let us know.
Kallus (05-28-24)
Old 05-27-24, 10:22 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Carnevino
I’ve owned 5 GX’s. 2010,14,18,20 and now a 23. 23 is my favorite. The interior is so much quieter in the 23, but can’t comment on a 22 if it has the newer glass like the 23. My 2010, 14 and 20 had the KDSS lean, 2018 & 23 does/did not. I bought the 23 due to wanting the CarPlay along with the large screen. I have doubts about the new 550, especially a new model year so I really wanted to get a new 23. I’m so glad I did. I test drove an Overtrail last week and it’ should be badges a Toyota and not a Lexus. The interior is sooo cheap…like really cheap. I would say it’s more like a luxury 4Runner…kinda. Regardless, my opinion is the 23 is a bit nicer than the previous years, not by much…kinda like a nice wine that’s matured over the years.
I share many of your impressions. My '21 and '23 are marginally quieter than the older models, but I only noticed that after replacing the OE model Bridgestones with the latest BS SUV tire. I fortunately never had the KDSS lean on any of my four. As previously mentioned, there is definitely a positive difference in ride quality and braking compared to any of my earlier GX's. The engine in the '23 was definitely quicker out of the box than the '21, but it really woke up after around 20,000 miles and is now on par with the '16 and '23.

What really intrigued me were your comments about the 550. After a couple of years of hype, I was jonesing for a 550. However, the more I read about them, and from the online pictures, I'm not so sure. From what I could see on internet videos, the interiors looked very underwhelming and plain jane. I previously commented that the flat, square dashboard reminded me of an 1984 Corvette dash. The "influencers" all cite the factory line that it's so when off roading, you can better tell the angle of the vehicle. How severe of a trail would one have to traverse to use that as a go, no-go decision point? Really Lexus? My gut tells me that the only element that would woo me, would be the serious low end torque and HP. All the 550's that my dealer shows in their inventory, are pre sold. Gotta find one to test drive.

Lexus has clearly abandoned the near luxury demographic, for the off road look, Defender wannabees. I would bet my house that less than 2% of the GX550 sales will be used for any serious off roading activities. (At least until they become used vehicles and are butchered.) Who knows, maybe a few well to do Overtrail buyers may.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hrocks:
Carnevino (05-28-24), Kallus (05-28-24)
Old 05-27-24, 11:23 AM
Kallus
3rd Gear

Thank you so much for the information!

Carnevino, I saw your post in another thread ('Any reason not to buy a '22 GX over a '21') about how much nicer you think the '23 is over a '20 and found it helpful. Specifically the CarPlay interface and the added quietness.

Hrocks, I feel a little better knowing I won't be missing anything if I do go with a '21. But it does sound like there were improvements on the '22 model that I hadn't realized. The better ride and brakes sound worth it! Since I'm not in a hurry, I would expect '22's may be coming off lease this fall and winter that hopefully will push the pricing down and give me a greater selection to choose from!

I really do appreciate you both and geckornr responding to my post. The thought of spending this much money and later regretting it keeps me awake at night!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kallus:
Carnevino (05-28-24), Hrocks (05-30-24)
Old 05-28-24, 11:37 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm just chiming in on a few small details that I noticed.

I used to own '21 Luxury trim GX460 and I also seriously considered changing it for '22 model year, specifically for the new infotainment:

1. Starting from MY 21 only driver side mirror is auto-dimming. Prior to 21 if the mirrors were power folding, both driver and passenger side were auto-dimming. Unfortunately Lexus continued this lunacy on MY 22 and 23.
2. Starting with MY 22 the trim around windows switches became black plastic for all trims. On my 21 luxury it was beautiful gray Sapele wood trim, same as on the center console and doors.
3. We also happened to own a 2021 NX300h at the same time and it had the same 10.3" infotainment system that was slated to be installed into 2022 GX and we had major issues with its phone function. Occasionally, the call would come through, the phone would ring through the system, but we could not answer it, because both: the steering wheel button and the trackpad function to pick up the phone would freeze and not respond. The phone itself would stop ringing eventually, but not the car speaker... It would just keep on ringing until we had to pull over and shut the whole damn car down and restart it. This would happen around 20-30% of the time and it became super annoying. This was the main reason why we got rid of the NX and why I decided not to upgrade our GX to MY 22, because I feared that it would be that same buggy system as in the NX...
Kallus (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24, 11:54 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Vlad, I have not experienced any Car Play or any other phone issues on my '23.

On the subject of Car Play, another member recommended Carlinkit, which is a wireless bluetooth gizmo that allows your phone to connect to Car Play wirelessly. (Will also connect android) Got it for a few months ago direct from the company for $58. It's very small, and fits in the slider cubby next to the USB ports. Works great. No brainer.
Old 05-28-24, 01:08 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

I can not answer for the 2022 --> models, but we picked a 21 in sep '21
Main reason were
* Almost 10% off msrp compared to similar '22 model
* installed BeatSonic wireless CarPlay unit (no need to worry about head unit navi)
* Will keep for long term, so resale value in 10-15 years does not matter if 21 or 22/23

Very happy so far, have not had any issues, only normal maintenance items, oil, tires and driveline lubrication
Kallus (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24, 02:02 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Vlad, I have not experienced any Car Play or any other phone issues on my '23.

On the subject of Car Play, another member recommended Carlinkit, which is a wireless bluetooth gizmo that allows your phone to connect to Car Play wirelessly. (Will also connect android) Got it for a few months ago direct from the company for $58. It's very small, and fits in the slider cubby next to the USB ports. Works great. No brainer.
This wasn't through car play, but rather straight bluetooth phone connection. The screen would get stuck on that phone call and nothing except shutting the car off would get rid of it. I brought it to Lexus twice and both times they weren't able to replicate the situation. It might have been just an NX gremiln, but I was worried that it might be the same with the 22 GX, so I decided to get a CPO LX570 instead of brand new 22 GX.
Hrocks (05-30-24)
Old 05-28-24, 07:30 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I went from a 2011 base (bought used, CPO) with a lot of options to a new 2022 Premium (sold the 2011 nearly 5 years prior to buying the 2022).

What I like better about the 2011:
Styling, looks more like a 4x4 SUV than with the later mega grill (though 2014+ has the same grill style).
Nicer interior, with nicer looking wood, switches and the steering wheel style (later one looks like the Lexus cars, generic).
Headlamps were HID, I'd prefer halogen but both are better than the standard LEDs on the 2022. Reason, I have old eyes, everything is color washed in winter which is when the only time I really drive in the dark. Perhaps I'll try yellow tint over the fog lamps to give the snow/ice/salt winter roads some color.
The door protector strip, it's missing on the 2022.
No built in wifi, no satellite nor cellular tracking or driving monitoring.
Better positioned front indicators. The lower positioned ones on the 2022 (and from 2014) are prone to cracking from stones (I drive on unpaved roads).
Brown carpet and door panels with the tan interior. 2022 has black with the tan/brown seating, Lexus seemed to have cheaped out (or could be the new style).
Better brake feel. The 2022 has a brake assist where if you quickly apply the brakes, the computer applies a higher brake force than what your foot does. I want a predictable and linear braking force that matches the force I press the brake pedal with regardless of how quickly I tap the pedal. To compensate, I use less force when braking quickly than when braking slowly to match the braking force I want.

What I like better about the 2022
Vinyl seats, the leather wore prematurely on the driver's seat sides on the 2011. They foam also seem firmer at the wing areas which was a complaint about the earlier ones having creased and worn leather.
Good value at under $60K MSRP (Premium with heated steering wheel and headlamp washers), the 2011 Base had a higher MSRP, though with a lot of options.
Quieter, has better glass for noise reduction (from memory).
Smother, at least at first it seemed,
Back up camera with cross traffic warning and the cruise with adjustable distance control. I don't care about the lane keep warning,
TPS shows numbers at all five tires.
No comment about carplay/google as I haven't used them.