GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What temp engine coolant thermostat does the GX have?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
thatwasbrilliant
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdIron
Thanks for that Acrad. Looking at the reviews for it running a cooler thermostat will cause the check engine light to come on which was my concern so guess we are locked into factory temp range. So might as well go OEM when the need to replace it comes up.
Where did you see a lower temp thermostat does indeed trigger the CEL? I did not read anyone saying this in the reviews.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
ColdIron
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thatwasbrilliant
Where did you see a lower temp thermostat does indeed trigger the CEL? I did not read anyone saying this in the reviews.
First review that showed up at the top and there is another one down the list. Not caused with the OEM one but with previous or aftermarket ones. The reviews are for the OEM one Acrad listed which made the CEL go away
The following users liked this post:
thatwasbrilliant (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I wonder if 80°C (176°F) and above is considered normal operating temp?

ColdIron (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
thatwasbrilliant
Rookie

I bought the CSF radiator to try to get the temps down but if the OEM thermostat is full open at 203F, according to Acrad's attachment, then it won't really matter. I don't know enough to know. I am still going to put the CSF in because it is better quality (no plastic).

Where is the OEM trans cooler located if one has one?
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Internal cooler is on driver side of radiator on that end. The external AT cooler will look like this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html

thatwasbrilliant (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
ColdIron
Rookie

Originally Posted by thatwasbrilliant
I bought the CSF radiator to try to get the temps down but if the OEM thermostat is full open at 203F, according to Acrad's attachment, then it won't really matter. I don't know enough to know. I am still going to put the CSF in because it is better quality (no plastic).

Where is the OEM trans cooler located if one has one?
Pretty sure we both were thinking the same thing with the thermostat and radiator, which is why I replied to your post, I was hoping we both were anyhow

Yeah I think we are stuck with OEM settings on the thermostat. I contacted Cruiser Brothers about the CSF radiator back in March but never did pull the trigger, came close
SubTotal: $425.00
Discount (10%): $ -42.50
Shipping: $95.00
--------------------------------------
Total: $477.50

My next plan was to install a transmission cooler and I have a Hayden 698 sitting in the garage along with a mounting bracket for it. Thinking and reading more about it after I purchased it with the engine coolant so warm not sure it will be much of a cooling gain. Last weekend towed 300 miles including up the Mississippi River bluffs but only tow ~2,500 pounds

ATF Temperatures never got any warmer then without towing holding ~205-208° most of the time. Short spikes on TC temps above that but always came back down. With engine coolant running so hot I am starting to believe we are locked in to these warm temps. At this point I'm going with doing ATF drain and fills more often to keep the ATF relatively clean.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You could bypass the AT fluid loop that goes into the radiator before going on to the external cooler if you want even more cooling with the transmission.

ColdIron (Today)
Old Today, 04:22 AM
ColdIron
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad
You could bypass the AT fluid loop that goes into the radiator before going on to the external cooler if you want even more cooling with the transmission.
Back when I had my Xterra a number of people did the radiator ATF cooler bypass with an external cooler. I did not and when I got the Strawberry Milkshake of Death (SMOD) immediately traded it in for a Taco. At least the radiator leaks on the GX are external and not internal between different fluids. I'm still cautious about changing the original design too much on the GX but as the engineers do what they can to try and meet CAFE standards and requirements it is a bit of a conundrum. Any change from factory does have an effect sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes unforeseen. But I am pretty sure you already are aware of that
Old Today, 07:09 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I have come across a couple reports of the failure of the AT cooler loop inside radiator on the 460 but that is very rare and uncommon.
ColdIron (Today)
Old Today, 07:19 AM
thatwasbrilliant
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad
I have come across a couple reports of the failure of the AT cooler loop inside radiator on the 460 but that is very rare and uncommon.
Is that the only point of potential mixing of coolant and ATF?
Old Today, 08:19 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I suppose it is possible with the ATF warmer but have never heard of that being an entry point

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10526824