45k miles service at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-24, 08:16 PM
anqc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45k miles service at dealer

Hey folks,
Is 35k, 45k , 55k maintenance necessary ? my 2021 GX is coming close to 45k. major thing they gonna do is rotating tires and quote me $220.
need your opinion.
thanks all.
Old 07-27-24, 07:01 AM
mketz747
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The 45k service, along with the tire rotation, includes lubrication of the u-joints and slide yokes. This is an important maintainance item that is often overlooked. Additionally , if you use your GX to tow then Lexus recommends you change the front and rear differential fluid. Personally I take my GX to the dealer for all services but I always check the maintenance schedule to make sure they do everything that is recommended. I know these services are pricey but I don’t DIY anymore.

Last edited by mketz747; 07-27-24 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rallenc (07-28-24)
Old 07-27-24, 07:16 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,072 Likes on 715 Posts

... an aside ... never understood going to a Lexus dealership for "tire anything" ... go to Discount Tire and purchase real (non-OEM) tires with their free tire balance and rotation plan. They have the most extensive nationwide network ... so if traveling, it is easy to find a Discount Tire within distance for tire repair. They only do tires ... versus a Lexus dealership where the "Tire Technician" was just fired from McDonald's the previous week ... with 15-minutes of training.
Johnny Rad (07-27-24)
Old 07-27-24, 10:32 AM
anqc
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ASE
... an aside ... never understood going to a Lexus dealership for "tire anything" ... go to Discount Tire and purchase real (non-OEM) tires with their free tire balance and rotation plan. They have the most extensive nationwide network ... so if traveling, it is easy to find a Discount Tire within distance for tire repair. They only do tires ... versus a Lexus dealership where the "Tire Technician" was just fired from McDonald's the previous week ... with 15-minutes of training.
yeah i called them free tires rotate and $50 for balancing which pretty good deal. Thinking take my GX there instead of dealer. And saving for big 50k coming
Old 07-27-24, 10:35 AM
anqc
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mketz747
The 45k service, along with the tire rotation, includes lubrication of the u-joints and slide yokes. This is an important maintainance item that is often overlooked. Additionally , if you use your GX to tow then Lexus recommends you change the front and rear differential fluid. Personally I take my GX to the dealer for all services but I always check the maintenance schedule to make sure they do everything that is recommended. I know these services are pricey but I don’t DIY anymore.
i look at their service for 45k miles, pretty much rotate tires and all other rest is just “inspect”

Reset maintenance reminder light
Check installation of driver's floor
mat

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs

Inspect differential oil
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect front differential oil
Inspect rack and pinion steering
assembly

Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect wiper blades
Lubricate front drive shaft bushings
Road test vehicle

Old 07-27-24, 12:35 PM
Misteracng
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by anqc
i look at their service for 45k miles, pretty much rotate tires and all other rest is just “inspect”

Reset maintenance reminder light
Check installation of driver's floor
mat

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs

Inspect differential oil
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect front differential oil
Inspect rack and pinion steering
assembly

Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect wiper blades
Lubricate front drive shaft bushings
Road test vehicle
This why I follow the severe service maintenance schedule. IF you just follow the regular one, basically nothing is really done except an oil change every 10k. Everything else is inspection which is kinda pointless. Like inspect differential fluid. They dont do but you pay. I doubt they crack open the fill plug and look at it and replace the plug with a new washer. Even if they did what would you inspect to know it needs replacement? Fluids should just be replaced on some kind of schedule. If you are trying to keep the vehicle long term, then change it more often. Oil and filter every 5k, all Diffs, tranny drain and fill maybe 30k or at least 50k. Maybe coolant 50k and brake fluid. The driveshaft lubing is suppose to be like every 10-15k. If you use the dealer and are willing to pay its not a problem, but you will specifically have to tell them to do these things and pay for it. They will undoubtly tell you its not necessary, so its your choice. i just have this feeling particularly about the driveshaft lubing that they never actually do it or maybe not hit all the zerks unless you are really on them about it and pay. Inspecting the driveshaft might tell you if there is damage to it, but you can't tell if its lubed or not.
JeffS520 (07-28-24)