GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 07:32 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Another new GX460 owner

First off, thanks to JDMuscle (I think ) for nudging me towards checking out what kind of a deal I could do on a new 2018 GX460.

I had a 2007 GS350 with only 72k miles which was still running like the day I bought it, but after 11 years, I felt like it was time for something different. I had bought my wife a new 2016 RX350 and did not really have a need for another SUV in the family. But if I'm being honest, living in Houston, most of the people are driving around in big trucks and SUVs and will never see a day off the pavement unless they are backing out crooked off the driveway. I at least won't hesitate to go off road when/if the opportunity presents itself

This afternoon I pulled the trigger and bought a new Lexus GX460 with the following options
  • ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS W/CARGO MAT
  • BLIND SPOT MONITOR W/REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT
  • CARGO-AREA TONNEAU COVER
  • EXHAUST TIP
  • HEADLAMP WASHERS
  • MAHOGANY WOOD & LEATHER TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL
  • PREFERRED ACCESSORY PACKAGE
  • PREMIUM PACKAGE W/CAPTAINS CHAIRS
I also negotiated an additional dealer installed tow package because, well, it's a truck and it can haul stuff. I have nothing to haul other than some bikes, but now I have a reason to get something to haul. My RX350 hauls groceries like a champ... but anything over 3000+ lbs would be a problem. At least my new GX wont sweat it.

The dealer's MSRP was $57,763 before the tow package. They wanted something like another $1400 or so for the tow package which I quickly laughed at. I told them MSRP on that was $654 and I was not planning to even pay that much. I'm sure after market plus install labor adds up.. but no way I was paying that much. They added it in at $654 which brought MSRP to $58,417. I paid $47654 with the $4000 Lexus cash factored in. See below for a fairly close approximation of invoice price.

Last but not least, the pictures:

I'm planning on having clearbra and ceramic coating done next week, and will post pics afterwards. It should be looking insanely glossy by then.
The following users liked this post:
JDMUSCLE (08-29-18)
Old 08-29-18, 07:41 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Ceramic coating is a rip off. Don't waste your money.
Old 08-29-18, 08:10 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sweet.. glad to have helped you in looking into this truck. They are great and congrats on the new truck and use it in good health.
EXP_Cougar (08-30-18)
Old 08-29-18, 08:12 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Can you explain your reasoning for this? I’ve had my Supra coated four years ago and it still works like a charm in keeping the car looking pristine and washing it is s breeze.
Old 08-29-18, 08:20 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Likewise, would like to understand your experience. I've only heard good things. I did hear about a guy who did not have it applied correctly and after 6 months lost a lot of its effect, but his detailer fixed it for free.
Old 08-29-18, 09:08 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Likewise, would like to understand your experience. I've only heard good things. I did hear about a guy who did not have it applied correctly and after 6 months lost a lot of its effect, but his detailer fixed it for free.
Proper application is after a good paint correction session. Can’t apply it without and expect it work well.
Old 08-30-18, 08:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Its paper thin and they charge like $1000 or more for it. It wont protect your paint from chips and cracks.
Old 08-31-18, 09:19 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Its paper thin and they charge like $1000 or more for it. It wont protect your paint from chips and cracks.
Not sure anything will protect your cars paint if the rock / item is big enough and coming at the car fast enough.

Having said that, the ceramic coat will provide better protection than anything else out there, short of perhaps wrapping the whole vehicle which I'm not inclined to do. Also, my cars are garage kept so I would not be surprised if this application can last me 2-3 years easily. Cleaning/washing should get a lot easier and quicker and since I'm getting a dark color, I'm also looking to minimize swirls over time. For me, ceramic coating will provide all these benefits.
Old 08-31-18, 11:26 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Not to sound rude, but maybe you don’t fully understand what ceramic coating is actually designed to do. I’ve had it applied to my RCF and Volks just for cleanup alone. Brake dust? Non existent....seriously, 100% gone. All you need is a hose to wash your car for ~ 2 years or a little less. Some Lexus’s (like my RCF) come with a self correction paint that will slowly repair “small” scratches and swirl marks. That lasted about a year lol. As with anything else, it’s lastly rests in the hands and skill of the person applying the ceramic coating. Most in my area insist on correcting any issues on the vehicles paint before applying it. If done correctly, it works.
JDMUSCLE (08-31-18)
Old 08-31-18, 09:30 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carnevino

Not to sound rude, but maybe you don’t fully understand what ceramic coating is actually designed to do. I’ve had it applied to my RCF and Volks just for cleanup alone. Brake dust? Non existent....seriously, 100% gone. All you need is a hose to wash your car for ~ 2 years or a little less. Some Lexus’s (like my RCF) come with a self correction paint that will slowly repair “small” scratches and swirl marks. That lasted about a year lol. As with anything else, it’s lastly rests in the hands and skill of the person applying the ceramic coating. Most in my area insist on correcting any issues on the vehicles paint before applying it. If done correctly, it works.
Thank you.. I was going to type up a long response to him but you only end up educating a person that doesn’t want to understand the purpose of the coating. All of my cars except the GX are coated and washing them is a breeze. Worth every damn penny.
Carnevino (09-01-18)
Old 09-03-18, 01:30 AM
213NSX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New project coming soon!

I bought it and now it is just sitting waiting to get fully friggin' built. Looking to build something like this ? Something to take across the Western US on adventures, tow my Honda's (fully built race cars), and do some events, shows, and just learn with.

Got a decent deal on it, but the thing is, I have always wanted a Fully Built Off Road Only Land Cruiser, my whole life, and I finally got one. And I got a pretty decent parts budget too! Now, I just need to get my shop, tools, dyno squared away and I can start ripping parts off, and getting new stuff, fabbing up a bunch of bumpers, and other stuff, and getting the CVT Roof Tents, Wheels/Tires, Suspension, and all that awesome stuff.

Sadly, not many people buy $40K-$60K 2014+ GX's and decide to go full ratard and do a big off road build but hey someone has to do it! And I do see a few of you badasses on here that have, and boy are you great motivation, and inspiration.

Okay I will probably get around to making a build guide and such here, but honestly GXOR is where it is at, and if you have not checked it out and use facebook (I don't really, but will try to for this build): https://www.facebook.com/groups/LexusGXOR/

Good Night and Thank You All For the Awesome Posts!

POSSIBLE / FOR SURE PARTS/MODS:
  • WIDE *** WHEELS (TE37's are my fave) and Tires
  • BADASS TOUGH AS NAILS SUSPENSION/COILS
  • BEST/MOST EXPENSIVE CVT ROOF TENT
  • FAB UP SOME STUFF LIKE SOME GNARLY BUMPERS
  • RACE CAR TOWING STUFF
  • EMS, I/H/E, Eventually it will probably get S/C, or built
  • RHINOLINER/METAL INTERIOR
  • BODY STUFF (BAJA? OVERLANDER? WIDEBODY LOL?)
  • CAMPING KITCHEN STUFF
  • What else would you guys do if you didn't have to worry about all the silly city slicker stuff, or your wifey giving you **** about having a really expensive, new AF LEXUS that you start cutting up and making into a real overlander offroader?

Last edited by 213NSX; 09-03-18 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 02:09 AM
goflyers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Welcome to CL
Members,

When you get your GX, please introduce yourself and your vehicle here!

Tell us some details about your new Lexus including;

1. Year and package
3. Color or the exterior and interior
2. Navigation or no navigation / Mark Levinson
4. Option Packages or options (RSES, park assist, etc)

and other details such as pictures you might have of your GX or tell us what you drove previously

and congratulations from Club Lexus!
2004 Lexus ES330
I purchased my ES330 on 12/27/16,had 134,000 on it,it was well maintained,the check engine light was on,took it to inspection,failed of course,then got the work done to it to pass it through my dealer.I haven't had too many problems with it until recently.The check engine light went back on,got a scan on it,it was a knock sensor,got a quote of $500+ to get it replaced.A friend told me to buy CRC engine treatment for it,bought it,put it in,light went off for a little bit,then went back on.What could it be,replace a fuel filter?it's located inside the gas tank!,replace to plugs?,they're good for 100,000 miles,then I was told that I have an exhaust leak,I could hear it,so took it to Penn Muffler,they told me it's a flex pipe,they are known to go in lexus's,before I got it replaced,it was really bogging,had no power when trying to excelorate,so had it replaced this weekend.paid $134,I have the power back now,runs better then it did,engine was still on,then it went off,then on again,now it's off again.I do take care of it as much as I can,always do the oil change every 3000 miles.I looked up flex pipe as far as it that would make my engine light go on,it said yes,some people said no,any thoughts?,this car will be paid off in less then a year,I'd love to keep it,I heard that these cars can last up to 300,000 miles.I'd love to trade it in one day for a newer model,but probably couldn't afford the payments.Keeping my fingers crossed that this replacement of the flex pipe worked
Old 09-08-18, 03:28 PM
CruiserTRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to Club Lexus

Hi my name is Parker, new to Club Lexus, previously on T4R.ORG
Proud new owner of 2013 GX460 in silver w/ premium upgrade, standard audio, rear coil susp.

My old rig

Last edited by CruiserTRD; 09-08-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 12:02 PM
xunxun0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hi Everyone, I am Sean. Got my 2018 GX460 2 weeks ago. Already put 1300 miles on it. Read a lot of useful information from the Forum, thanks to everyone.
Wondering if is that possible to add a jump seat between the 2nd-row captain seats, Grandpa and my sister are coming next month, we have 7 people and want to be in one car. LOL

1. 2018 GX460 premium
3. White exterior and Black interior
2. Navigation, tow hitch package
4. Sport design with captain seat

lexusimon (06-23-20)
Old 10-14-18, 06:20 PM
tbrasuell
6th Gear

Default 2015 GX460 Lyxury Nav, ML, Driver Support Package

Hello,

New here.
Just purchased a CPO 2015 GX460 Luxury with Nav, ML audio and driver support package.
I live and travel in the snow belt so I am looking forward to winter.
Currently 30K miles on it.
Very frustrated that the power folding mirrors are not automatic, but I see there are ways around that.
Hope to figure that out soon.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE