GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 05:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Congrats and you have some nice pics there.. I had to play with this one

Old 02-28-19, 05:29 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Congrats and you have some nice pics there.. I had to play with this one

Yeah, that’s about right... but only when driving the truck. Definitely gives that big-dog confidence haha
Old 02-28-19, 04:49 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I picked up this one owner ‘13 Starfire/Ecru with 52k miles two weeks ago. Absolutely love the color combo. This rig is so much smoother and quieter than my previous 470. So far I’ve added WeatherTech Floorliners and had full front PPF done. Some tint for the front windows this weekend. Haha! Hopefully that’s all for now

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-28-19)
Old 03-09-19, 05:06 AM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Picked her up 3/1 , joined the forums and took her out yesterday to the beach to test the 4wd capabilities compared to my Jeep. I was very impressed as it handled deep sand with no problems at all.

2017 Premium in Nightfall Mica with Ecru/Mahognany. 30,750 on the clock currently.

I'm already thinking about lifting options as it did bump the sand on the skid plates with the wire grate fairly often. I don't have access to mountains and rocks nearby so beach trips will be the extent of my off-roading.

Future Mods:
2-3 inch lift with closest to stock ride hopefully
aftermarket wheels with 275/65/18 or 285/70/17
onboard air
CC switch
bbqsoup (03-09-19)
Old 03-10-19, 10:13 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I just picked up this 2019 w/ Sepia interior and drove it home 800 miles from the dealer. I owned a pre-owned 2013 for 2 days from Carmax before returning it and going new. Also, I sold a 2015 Jeep SRT to move into this. Other than being slower, everything else on the GX seems to be of better quality and I have no regrets with selling the Jeep.

The first thing I had done the day after purchase was add the OEM Sepia All-weather liners at the seats and cargo area and get the windows tinted 18% on the front 2 windows and 55% on the windshield. Will probably add some 80% on the rear windows to just get some added UV protection without adding darkness. As far as other mods go, I have a Prinsu rack in the garage waiting to be installed this week and am currently debating what wheels to go with. I will be putting on a 2.5" lift and plan to go with a tire in the 32.5" range. MTS module is also on order...

Old 03-10-19, 10:17 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
I just picked up this 2019 w/ Sepia interior and drove it home 800 miles from the dealer. I owned a pre-owned 2013 for 2 days from Carmax before returning it and going new. Also, I sold a 2015 Jeep SRT to move into this. Other than being slower, everything else on the GX seems to be of better quality and I have no regrets with selling the Jeep.

The first thing I had done the day after purchase was add the OEM Sepia All-weather liners at the seats and cargo area and get the windows tinted 18% on the front 2 windows and 55% on the windshield. Will probably add some 80% on the rear windows to just get some added UV protection without adding darkness. As far as other mods go, I have a Prinsu rack in the garage waiting to be installed this week and am currently debating what wheels to go with. I will be putting on a 2.5" lift and plan to go with a tire in the 32.5" range. MTS module is also on order...

Looks great - the 18% tint up front looks like it matches perfectly with the rear windows
oksir83 (03-10-19)
Old 03-10-19, 04:15 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachy
Picked her up 3/1 , joined the forums and took her out yesterday to the beach to test the 4wd capabilities compared to my Jeep. I was very impressed as it handled deep sand with no problems at all.

2017 Premium in Nightfall Mica with Ecru/Mahognany. 30,750 on the clock currently.

I'm already thinking about lifting options as it did bump the sand on the skid plates with the wire grate fairly often. I don't have access to mountains and rocks nearby so beach trips will be the extent of my off-roading.

Future Mods:
2-3 inch lift with closest to stock ride hopefully
aftermarket wheels with 275/65/18 or 285/70/17
onboard air
CC switch
Looks great. Did you air down at all, or just charge out there?
Old 03-10-19, 05:41 PM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCDavis

Looks great. Did you air down at all, or just charge out there?
I aired down to 18-20... I usually don’t air down on vehicles in the 4-4500lb range but was a little nervous with the heft of the GX being the heaviest vehicle I’ve beach buggied. I have owned a 5th gen 4Runner as well and tbh the GX was better in stock form on the beach even with the extra weight. The 4Runner had me hitting the bump stops often and made much more racket altogether.

I heard (but don’t know if it’s true) that airing down helps keep the suspension from creating/worsening washboard as well so figured it’s worth the effort.

Aired down she never cracked 1200 RPMs in 4 HI with no CDL or Low range used . Never even came close to getting stuck or having traction issues. Gonna pull the trigger this week on the Dobinsons setup so should gain me the little extra clearance I need for my softroading needs (clearing sand ruts and occasion hurricane floods).
Old 03-10-19, 05:56 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachy

I aired down to 18-20... I usually don’t air down on vehicles in the 4-4500lb range but was a little nervous with the heft of the GX being the heaviest vehicle I’ve beach buggied. I have owned a 5th gen 4Runner as well and tbh the GX was better in stock form on the beach even with the extra weight. The 4Runner had me hitting the bump stops often and made much more racket altogether.

I heard (but don’t know if it’s true) that airing down helps keep the suspension from creating/worsening washboard as well so figured it’s worth the effort.

Aired down she never cracked 1200 RPMs in 4 HI with no CDL or Low range used . Never even came close to getting stuck or having traction issues. Gonna pull the trigger this week on the Dobinsons setup so should gain me the little extra clearance I need for my softroading needs (clearing sand ruts and occasion hurricane floods).
I see you're in NC...what beach is that? My parents live in Wilmington, so I'm sure my GX will see some time down at Fort Fisher. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Dobinson's 2.5" nitro kit. I don't plan on too aggressive of a tire, probably something like the Cooper AT3 4S. I have the AT3 XLTs on another truck and they have been fantastic. The 4S is a bit milder though...perfect for the 95% of the time my GX will be on-road.
Old 03-10-19, 06:27 PM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oksir83
I see you're in NC...what beach is that? My parents live in Wilmington, so I'm sure my GX will see some time down at Fort Fisher. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Dobinson's 2.5" nitro kit. I don't plan on too aggressive of a tire, probably something like the Cooper AT3 4S. I have the AT3 XLTs on another truck and they have been fantastic. The 4S is a bit milder though...perfect for the 95% of the time my GX will be on-road.
That’s where I am in that picture .
Old 03-11-19, 11:23 AM
NotEnough
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all. After much debate I decided the GX460 was the best option for the family vehicle. I really wanted a 4Runner but the value comparison and the fact that my wife would be the primary driver the GX was a no brainer. I traded in my CrewMax Tundra for a 2012 460 Premium. Right at 100k miles and flawless. I’ve only owned Black, White and mostly Silver vehicles but the Fire Agate Pearl is amazing. I did not think I would like it (and didn’t care much in the photos) but in person I was convinced. Add to the fact I got a smoking deal on my trade and the purchase price I’m a happy camper.
Acrad (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 01:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Congrats. A brother to mine . :-) What color interior did you get? Mine is black.

Originally Posted by NotEnough

Hello all. After much debate I decided the GX460 was the best option for the family vehicle. I really wanted a 4Runner but the value comparison and the fact that my wife would be the primary driver the GX was a no brainer. I traded in my CrewMax Tundra for a 2012 460 Premium. Right at 100k miles and flawless. I’ve only owned Black, White and mostly Silver vehicles but the Fire Agate Pearl is amazing. I did not think I would like it (and didn’t care much in the photos) but in person I was convinced. Add to the fact I got a smoking deal on my trade and the purchase price I’m a happy camper.
Old 03-11-19, 02:05 PM
NotEnough
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Congrats. A brother to mine . :-) What color interior did you get? Mine is black.
It has the Tan interior. I would have been happy with any color choice inside but being in the south, the lighter the better.

Im already dreaming of the years to pass so I can start building it up. I’ve very limited at the moment for what I can add due to wife restrictions.
Old 03-15-19, 02:50 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

New to the group but not Toyota, Picked up this 19 Premium last Sunday, traded a 17 4Runner

Old 03-15-19, 02:58 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Other Toyota's I've owned

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE