GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21 | 07:50 AM
wha262
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up New to Trailering in Oregon

Originally Posted by knittr
Hello from Oregon.
I just purchased a pre-owned Lexus certified 2020 GX460 Premium package. I plan to use it to tow a horse trailer and wonder if anyone else out there does this. Any tips I should know? I am a widow and brand new to towing (plan to practice a lot with the empty trailer). As a former Lexus owner (RX), I am very happy to be back in a Lexus.
Thank you for any advice and/or tips.
Hello from Boston. There are a few things to know but none of it is hard.

1. find a trustworthy Trailer shop that can help you with the set up. You need to know the vehicle can handle the weight, fully loaded - the total load must be within Gross Vehicle Weight Rating parameters. Also need to know the proper height of the ball as the vehicle, trailer tongue and trailer need to sit level when hooked up so you'll need to at least understand hitch rise or drop. Tongue weight needs to be proper too - the trailer essentially tilts on its axle and the amount of force pushing down on the hitch needs to be proper. Too much downward pressure or too much upward pull will affect vehicle performance and may be unsafe. Always make sure your lights are working properly.

2. on the road - drive more slowly than you otherwise would. be careful passing, your vehicle is now at least 2x as long. Look for big open parking lots everywhere.

3. backing up. - practice as you said. line up the rig as straight as you can. then SLOWLY back up, turning the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to move. You can go too fast but you can't go too slowly. If you are not sure where the trailer is get out and look. forget who may be watching or what they might think about your level of expertise.

4. Shifting - i find the manual gear shift feature to be quite helpful and fun. I often drop it into 3rd to tow up a steep hill as opposed to just flooring the gas pedal.

5. You Tube University is your best friend. there are a kazillion instruction videos out there. that's your first stop for all of this

go have fun learning a new skill!
Old 03-27-21 | 09:19 AM
knittr
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for replying! I have brought my vehicle to a great trailer place. They helped me with a hitch as well as getting a trailer brake controller installed (just have to read the instructions on how to use it).

Before buying the vehicle, I told the Sales staff at the Dealership the tow weight would be 2500 lbs of trailer + 1500 lbs of cargo = 4000 lbs of weight and they said no problem for the GX.

My biggest question really is when driving, do I need to change from 'D' at any time. I asked this question over and over to the Sales folks and they kept telling me no. "Just put her in drive and go" they said. My horse people are telling me that may not be true. Trying to get a clear understanding has been elusive.
Seeing your comment #4 makes me think I need to read my Owner's Manual and learn how to put it in 3rd. I'm a manual transmission driver usually so this auto everything is a bit uncomfortable for me.
Old 03-27-21 | 09:34 AM
wha262
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knittr
Thank you for replying! I have brought my vehicle to a great trailer place. They helped me with a hitch as well as getting a trailer brake controller installed (just have to read the instructions on how to use it).

Before buying the vehicle, I told the Sales staff at the Dealership the tow weight would be 2500 lbs of trailer + 1500 lbs of cargo = 4000 lbs of weight and they said no problem for the GX.

My biggest question really is when driving, do I need to change from 'D' at any time. I asked this question over and over to the Sales folks and they kept telling me no. "Just put her in drive and go" they said. My horse people are telling me that may not be true. Trying to get a clear understanding has been elusive.
Seeing your comment #4 makes me think I need to read my Owner's Manual and learn how to put it in 3rd. I'm a manual transmission driver usually so this auto everything is a bit uncomfortable for me.

Well it's pretty simple actually. once in drive you just slide the shifter toward you and you will see the dash indicator change from D to the gear it's in. Then push the shifter up or down to change a gear. no clutch. I suggest you leave it in D for normal conditions. I use it when going up steep hills pulling my boat which sometimes carries cargo too. if you feel the vehicle struggling, move it to manual and just pull it back. the engine will rev and move ahead and you'll feel power again. then drive normally and get comfortable with the power. after reaching the top of the hill just slide it back over into drive and let the electronics take over.

Don't worry about breaking anything. the electronics are smart enough to prevent you from downshifting too far or trying to start out in 4th gear or something like that. Just use it to take control of the power of the vehicle as you would a manual transmission.

That said, don't over use it either. anything that gets used alot will eventually wear.

hope that helps.
Old 03-27-21 | 10:25 AM
knittr
Driver School Candidate

Oh thank you so very much!! You are a godsend. I'm going to practice today and this is very helpful.
Old 04-01-21 | 04:41 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Finally got around to uploading a photo of a recently acquired '21 Premium (CAN spec). It was a demo unit with just around 3000km (1800mi). Got a great deal for both the GX and my '16 Subaru Forester XT that I traded-in (used car values seem to have gone up since my last appraisal - no complaints).

This is my 3rd Lexus (ISF, LS400) and I am loving it. There was very little sense of community over on the Subaru side, specific to the SJ Forester. While it was a great, fun car that got the job done, I didn't trust it to last long mechanically, and the small annoyances have gotten to me. With V8s succumbing to environmental regulations, I figured this was the time to get the truck I've wanted for a long time, and the stars aligned. Thank you ClubLexus for a great sense of community, all your enthusiasm and the wealth of information freely shared on here. I look forward to wrenching on the GX just as much as all my other vehicles and giving back.

The following 6 users liked this post by M4rk:
Acrad (04-02-21), FSportOnly (04-05-21), hzhao (04-01-21), JayPixelGX (04-01-21), mike995134 (04-02-21), nuclearn8 (04-09-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-21 | 09:10 AM
zzumarzz
Driver School Candidate

Sold my 2015 GX Premium in October with 155,000 miles. Tried to find a good replacement-didn't want to go over $60,000 USD. Got a 2021 GX Premium today.
Pretty much the identical truck, except we got the Lunar Gray exterior with dark wheels, instead of the black ext with silver wheels. And I'm paying $50 less per month.
GX, I can't quit you.
Old 04-03-21 | 10:58 AM
Ctg01ctg
Driver School Candidate

Default 1st Lexus

Bought my wife a 2021 GX460 last Friday. It’s black with beige interior and has the premium package. Started to go with the RX350 but coming from a BMW X5, the RX was just too small. My wife is loving her new ride
Old 04-04-21 | 08:16 PM
JRT3
Driver

Traded in a 2018 TRD 4-Runner Off Road Premium for a 21 GX Premium. Nebula Gray and Rioja, love the truck.

Had an FJ Cruiser Trail Teams before the 4-Runner, so I've circled through platforms as a loyal customer.

Miss the FJ and 4-Runner, both amazing trucks.
Old 04-09-21 | 09:03 AM
WRooster
Driver School Candidate

I always try to join a forum for the current vehicle I own. I personally drive a Toyota Tacoma, but we recently purchased a GX for my wife. Since the purchase, I installed a Dobinsons lift kit and some larger wheels and tires. Hopefully will have her UCA's installed by the first of the month. Just have to find the time to knock it out. Really like this ride. To be honest, I wish my Tacoma had the motor and transmission this GX has. Looking forward to learning some new things and hopefully contribute where I can on things I've picked up over the years. I don't have any glam shots, but here is her ride after the new wheels and tires were installed.

The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (04-13-21)
Old 04-09-21 | 11:22 AM
ps23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WRooster
I always try to join a forum for the current vehicle I own. I personally drive a Toyota Tacoma, but we recently purchased a GX for my wife. Since the purchase, I installed a Dobinsons lift kit and some larger wheels and tires. Hopefully will have her UCA's installed by the first of the month. Just have to find the time to knock it out. Really like this ride. To be honest, I wish my Tacoma had the motor and transmission this GX has. Looking forward to learning some new things and hopefully contribute where I can on things I've picked up over the years. I don't have any glam shots, but here is her ride after the new wheels and tires were installed.

Nice! Tires look meaty. What size are those? Any rubbing?
Old 04-09-21 | 11:36 AM
WRooster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ps23
Nice! Tires look meaty. What size are those? Any rubbing?
Thanks! They are 285/70r17's. You will definitely rub unless you are lifted or do some heavy trimming. They are on a -12 offset wheel. A positive offset might be better if you want to do less trimming.

Last edited by WRooster; 04-12-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-09-21 | 04:26 PM
kplatinum7
Driver School Candidate

I posted a few days ago, but I just became the proud owner of a 2021 GX 460 Premium with the Premium, Sport Design with Captain’s Chairs and Heated Steering Wheel options. I’m so thrilled.

The following 7 users liked this post by kplatinum7:
Acrad (04-10-21), FSportOnly (04-23-21), ltsr (04-09-21), M4rk (04-09-21), mike995134 (04-11-21), Piney1 (04-13-21), THOMASK33 (06-28-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-21 | 05:13 PM
back2grave
Driver School Candidate

Here's my 2020 GX premium.

The following 7 users liked this post by back2grave:
FSportOnly (04-23-21), JRT3 (04-14-21), M4rk (04-13-21), NaFooEsi (05-26-21), nuclearn8 (04-20-21), Piney1 (04-13-21), ps23 (04-12-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-21 | 05:21 PM
YnotAZ
Rookie

Haven't see that rack before, what brand is it?
Old 04-12-21 | 06:52 PM
back2grave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YnotAZ
Haven't see that rack before, what brand is it?
It's Prinsu Design Studio

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE