GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 12:22 PM
bhuter27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s funny, I did the exact same thing.

Originally Posted by Coupland
thank you.

I purposely bought this suv now before the smaller engines come into effect.

We have been extremely pleased with Lexus.

traded in my Mercedes GL450.
Never again will I purchase another unreliable German vehicle.
Old 07-27-21, 08:22 PM
HunterCD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traded up to my first GX - some questions

I just traded in my 2015 4Runner Limited for a 2019 GX Premium and I love it!! While I loved my 4Runner, the GX is just a much "sturdier" vehicle. It was actually surprising how quiet and smooth it is compared to my 4runner. I got Enform Remote all set up - it is sooo convenient! I have some questions though, 1: How do I know if I have NuLuxe or leather? I did some research and have only been able to find that it depends on the color. I have Sepia colored seats, but I'm still not sure if I have leather or NuLuxe. Lexus Owners Spec/vin decode does not say one way or another. The dealer's website said it was Semi-aniline, but it wasn't a Lexus dealer so I am not convinced it was 100% accurate. Question 2: Do I need to use the 4WD on a regular basis to keep it lubed? With 4Runners, 4WD is supposed to be used at least once a month - wasn't sure if that applied here as well. Question 3: Does it have the 3G service that Lexus is phasing out next year? Question 4: Am I able to roll down all the windows from the fob? I feel like it could be programmed but I don't know. Question 5: Mine has Alexa enabled on it. Am I able to have it able to be asked at any time or just when I have it set to Alexa mode? Right now, I have only figured out to have Alexa enabled when radio is not on. Question 6: The radio starts up to navigation full screen every time, can I set it to go the Home Screen automatically? Question 7: Reverse tilting mirrors work but not regularly, are they broken? Is it a setting? Question 8: How necessary would you say that it is to go to a Lexus dealer for service? I won't say which dealer, but a dealer in North Texas really rubbed me the wrong way before I purchased my 4Runner so I would like to not give them a dime unless it is necessary. Question 9: It has 30k miles, what should I watch out for in terms of repairs? The fuel pump has already been replaced under recall. Thank you in advance!

Old 07-28-21, 11:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

If you pull on it lightly and it stretches like spandex, its nuluxe. If it has the usual cracks, creases and fraying, it is leather.
Old 07-28-21, 12:00 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

GX 460 is full-time 4WD. Not aware of any maintenance that requires periodic engagement of 4Lo, but why not, right? That's why we have these rigs! Side mirrors auto tilt in reverse when the mirror position selection switch is either in the left or right position, and auto tilt is disabled when that switch is in the middle. Seems counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is. Many settings can be accessed in the menu settings for things like door locks, windows. Can't remember specifically if the auto-down windows from the fob is in there. Try holding the unlock button down for a couple of seconds.
Old 07-28-21, 12:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Looking at '19 brochure I believe that color combo and wood trim makes it leather. On '14+ models semi-aniline is only on the '14+ Luxury models. It was possible to get on a base in 10-13 years.

- 4G starting in '19 so no 3G concerns

- IMO it doesn't hurt to find a gravel area and turn on the 4L as well as the CDL 3-4 times a year. I'm sure opinions will vary on interval.

You would need Techstream or Carista to program the remote roll down if it isn't already working

Are you setting your mirror selector control (left or right) in the middle position? That deactivates the tilt down feature

https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...on-Display.pdf

Old 07-28-21, 11:22 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It doesn't matter about the color. I had the sepia interior and mine was leather, although I have seen many nuluxe sepia in the showroom aswell. The way you can tell is the texture of the leather. very different. Leather looks textured and nuluxe looks like a vinyl smooth type of leather. The way you tilt the mirror is by switching the mirror left and right switch that will engage and stop tilting while in reverse. But based on your pic of your sepia it looks like nuluxe.

This is nuluxe sepia.

This is leather sepia

Last edited by Zayn; 07-28-21 at 11:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sinistar (08-04-21)
Old 07-29-21, 12:08 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

First off, congratulations!

I, too, recently purchased a 2018 premium and am in North Texas ( Grapevine ) as well. I’ve had great experience with Sewell, but I wouldn’t go to Park Place ever! That said, Davenport motors ( Plano ) specializes in Lexus, is much cheaper than the dealer, and has very positive reviews.

Typing on my phone, so will respond to your others questions later, unless folks here already get to it
Old 07-29-21, 06:26 AM
ppororo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Looking at '19 brochure I believe that color combo and wood trim makes it leather. On '14+ models semi-aniline is only on the '14+ Luxury models. It was possible to get on a base in 10-13 years.

- IMO it doesn't hurt to find a gravel area and turn on the 4L as well as the CDL 3-4 times a year. I'm sure opinions will vary on interval.

You would need Techstream or Carista to program the remote roll down if it isn't already working

Are you setting your mirror selector control (left or right) in the middle position? That deactivates the tilt down feature

Hey there. Where are you seeing that wood trim + sepia = leather? I have the same combo on a 2019. When I looked into this a few months ago, I found that 2019 premium is nuluxe. It was leather before a certain year (IIRC 2016?), but nuluxe by default in the model years thereafter.
Old 07-29-21, 06:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

I'm just going off info in '19 brochure which isn't always accurate. It does appear Sepia and Black could be Nuluxe or Leather and perhaps just a roll of the dice on Premium models. Let me know if there is a detail I've missed here.

https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...x-brochure.pdf

Old 07-29-21, 06:53 PM
HunterCD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by m5rahul
First off, congratulations!

I, too, recently purchased a 2018 premium and am in North Texas ( Grapevine ) as well. I’ve had great experience with Sewell, but I wouldn’t go to Park Place ever! That said, Davenport motors ( Plano ) specializes in Lexus, is much cheaper than the dealer, and has very positive reviews.

Typing on my phone, so will respond to your others questions later, unless folks here already get to it
It's funny that you say that! Sewell FW is actually the dealer that I had troubles with once before. Might have to give them another chance! Mine, when new, was sold at Sewell. But the dealer I bought my GX from took the Sewell letters off the back so I can't get the free car washes Its 5 minutes away from my work too. Maybe if I get it serviced there they will put the letters back on? Thank you so much for the tip on Park Place, I was considering them but I'll definitely steer clear.

Originally Posted by Zayn
It doesn't matter about the color. I had the sepia interior and mine was leather, although I have seen many nuluxe sepia in the showroom aswell. The way you can tell is the texture of the leather. very different. Leather looks textured and nuluxe looks like a vinyl smooth type of leather. The way you tilt the mirror is by switching the mirror left and right switch that will engage and stop tilting while in reverse. But based on your pic of your sepia it looks like nuluxe.

This is nuluxe sepia.

This is leather sepia
I have determined that I have definitely have NuLuxe. How does it wear? My mirror selector only goes right or middle, I can't go the left.

Originally Posted by Acrad

My mirror selector only goes right or middle, I can't go the left.
Old 07-30-21, 08:37 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterCD
Could you post a pic of your mirror switch? It's possible it's changed from earlier years, but seems unlikely.
Old 07-30-21, 10:12 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Could you post a pic of your mirror switch? It's possible it's changed from earlier years, but seems unlikely.
From my 2021:

Left

Right

Middle
Old 07-30-21, 06:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I had someone accidentally press the switch assembly in when installing window tint and it prevented the switch from working properly. It’s actually quite easy to pop the assembly back off and re-seat the switch to fix not being able to go left, middle, right. If this is your problem.
Old 07-30-21, 10:32 PM
HunterCD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Originally Posted by L3xusGX
From my 2021:

Left

Right

Middle
Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I had someone accidentally press the switch assembly in when installing window tint and it prevented the switch from working properly. It’s actually quite easy to pop the assembly back off and re-seat the switch to fix not being able to go left, middle, right. If this is your problem.
I figured it out! I had to leave to set to the left/right position when reversing - not just switch it on and off.
Old 07-31-21, 11:41 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny that you say that! Sewell FW is actually the dealer that I had troubles with once before. Might have to give them another chance! Mine, when new, was sold at Sewell. But the dealer I bought my GX from took the Sewell letters off the back so I can't get the free car washes Its 5 minutes away from my work too. Maybe if I get it serviced there they will put the letters back on? Thank you so much for the tip on Park Place, I was considering them but I'll definitely steer clear.

I have determined that I have definitely have NuLuxe. How does it wear? My mirror selector only goes right or middle, I can't go the left.

As far as my experience leather will wear way faster even when maintained well compared to nuluxe I think nuluxe feels more comfortable and most likely wears less when maintained. Leather is just for its name.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE