GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

How to Smoothly Launch the GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 08:25 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to Smoothly Launch the GX460?

We love our GX460, but it is a handful! That may be because we have been driving an RX400h hybrid since they were introduced and hybrids have the smoothest powertrains we have encountered ... continuous variable transmission, maximum torque at zero RPM and most launches are electric-only. So, our question is ... what is the best technique to launch the GX460 from a stop without having it lurch or jerk?

I prefer to "stir the shifter" and use the sport mode, but my wife prefers to leave it in drive and expects the transmission to figure out what is best. We are sure that we do NOT have the 2nd gear start engaged as that would make it worse ... we think. We are both having problems stepping on the gas smoothly enough so the vehicle starts to accelerate from a stop without hesitating, but also without causing a noticeable jerk when it starts to move.

We also notice that we must keep sustained pressure on the brake pedal to keep the GX460 from creeping while stopped in traffic, such as at a red light. That also may be a holdover from driving a hybrid, but it seems the GX460 is "hard to tame"!
Old 03-13-10, 10:28 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
We love our GX460, but it is a handful! That may be because we have been driving an RX400h hybrid since they were introduced and hybrids have the smoothest powertrains we have encountered ... continuous variable transmission, maximum torque at zero RPM and most launches are electric-only. So, our question is ... what is the best technique to launch the GX460 from a stop without having it lurch or jerk?

I prefer to "stir the shifter" and use the sport mode, but my wife prefers to leave it in drive and expects the transmission to figure out what is best. We are sure that we do NOT have the 2nd gear start engaged as that would make it worse ... we think. We are both having problems stepping on the gas smoothly enough so the vehicle starts to accelerate from a stop without hesitating, but also without causing a noticeable jerk when it starts to move.

We also notice that we must keep sustained pressure on the brake pedal to keep the GX460 from creeping while stopped in traffic, such as at a red light. That also may be a holdover from driving a hybrid, but it seems the GX460 is "hard to tame"!
I don't have problem to start the car from stop, maybe it still need so I was gentle on the gas, its hard to describe the way. And honestly I don't feel much different from the sport, normal, and comfort mode, I seems all the same to me, so I leave that on comfort.

The 2nd start mode is for you to use on snow, the GX don't have a switch to choose from power or snow mode like on the sedan, that is the selection when you encounter heavy snow preventing wheel spin.

For the brake, yes you will need to press little harder to stop in traffic or red light, the brake is design for off road according to edmunds test, check this link: http://video-player.edmunds.com/serv...id=71023504001
Just need to get use to it since RX is a completely different car, RX is a crossover that drive like a sedan, but the GX is kind of a truck SUV, I am also try to fit in after driving 4 years on my IS, completely different driving style.
Old 03-17-10, 04:05 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, ybing ... we are getting the hang of it. The problem is us, not the truck ... as you said, going from an RX crossover and especially one with a hybrid drive train to a body-on-frame truck with a V8 is a huge change. In addition, as we only own one vehicle, the last time we drove a truck was in 2006 when we traded an LX470 for the hybrid RX. It seems that also required an adjustment, but in the opposite direction.

Being "gentle on the gas" is as good a description as any of how to smoothly launch the GX460, regardless of how you use the transmission. Push too hard and it jumps, which is good when you need it, but annoying when you don't. Ditto for the brakes ... they require more pressure than we are used to keep the truck from creeping. So, we are both re-learning how to drive! ;-)
Old 03-17-10, 05:16 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing

For the brake, yes you will need to press little harder to stop in traffic or red light, the brake is design for off road according to edmunds test, check this link: http://video-player.edmunds.com/serv...id=71023504001
Just need to get use to it since RX is a completely different car, RX is a crossover that drive like a sedan, but the GX is kind of a truck SUV, I am also try to fit in after driving 4 years on my IS, completely different driving style.
I noticed this brake issue as well. I feel like it's an effort to prevent it from rolling forward at a red light. I have to use force to press on the brake - it's something I have to be actively thinking about. I've caught myself slipping my foot off and rolling forward. I'm not lazy but it's almost tiring.

The thing is, I've had 2 4runners before this GX and they were never like that. Seems like you could actually take your foot off the brake and it wouldn't roll forward. Shouldn't they be similar?

I've told people I love my new car but I actually think I like driving my old 4runner better. The brake thing and the steering seems almost too tight. I used to be able to steer with one finger (even my knee at times), very relaxed. Now I have to have 2 hands to turn. It just takes more effort to drive. Someone described it I think as hard to control. It's smooth, but yes, harder to control. Glad I kept my baby too.
Old 03-17-10, 09:36 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannaGX
I noticed this brake issue as well. I feel like it's an effort to prevent it from rolling forward at a red light. I have to use force to press on the brake - it's something I have to be actively thinking about. I've caught myself slipping my foot off and rolling forward. I'm not lazy but it's almost tiring.

The thing is, I've had 2 4runners before this GX and they were never like that. Seems like you could actually take your foot off the brake and it wouldn't roll forward. Shouldn't they be similar?

I've told people I love my new car but I actually think I like driving my old 4runner better. The brake thing and the steering seems almost too tight. I used to be able to steer with one finger (even my knee at times), very relaxed. Now I have to have 2 hands to turn. It just takes more effort to drive. Someone described it I think as hard to control. It's smooth, but yes, harder to control. Glad I kept my baby too.
When I was test-driving the GX the steering felt very loose to me, at least looser than my ES300. The brakes seemed to be OK too; perhaps the present problem is a software issue? If there are enough people telling their dealers about the problem, Lexus might come up with a software fix.
Old 03-17-10, 10:44 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
When I was test-driving the GX the steering felt very loose to me, at least looser than my ES300. The brakes seemed to be OK too; perhaps the present problem is a software issue? If there are enough people telling their dealers about the problem, Lexus might come up with a software fix.
I also think the steering feels loose compared to my 2009 BMW X5 I traded in.
The brakes don't feel like they are strong enough for this size vehicle. I don't feel the brakes slipping at stop lights, I just keep my foot on the brake pedal.
Old 03-17-10, 01:50 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Just need to get use to the car,
On the steering part, never compare Lexus to BMW, BMW is famous for handling and heavy steering, but I prefer Lexus lighter one on everyday use, honestly how often will you go to the race track need that much direct steering, but I do respect BMW handling, they are the best for sure, but just not what I want.
And GX's handling I just tested yesterday when I almost got hit by my stupid communicate gate, I turn my steering and it respond instantly, is just that less than one inch move me away from the gate, I'm actually impress on a SUV this size.

The brake issue is sometimes annoying, I will be happy if the brake is more power, but right now is acceptable, the rolling forward part seems don't bother me that much since I had a habit to keep rolling forward while waiting at light. But like today I'm really tired with only 2 hours sleep, I step on my parking brake while waiting at the light that eliminated the problem
Old 03-17-10, 01:56 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wannaGX

I use one finger to control it without a problem, it is kind of loose already, maybe because I drove an IS before so this is not a problem for me.
If you r on a hill, then the car will stay, but so far I don't know there is a car in the line that will not roll forward after you take off the brake, except LS's HOLD mode. Any car will roll forward in Drive if no brakes applied on flat surface.
But ya, the brake rolling forward issue will be annoying for some people that don't get use to it. Maybe this is what Lexus want people to keep some distance from the car in front of you? LOL