GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LED Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18 | 04:18 PM
EasonC
Driver School Candidate

Default Replace blinker relay for led turn signal bulbs

Good afternoon guys,
I'm Eason and new here. I just got my gx460 and dong led conversions. I have no problems changing the bulbs but don't known how to reach the blinker relay. I know I would have to remove the lower dash panel (the piece below steering wheel) but I am inexperienced and don't want to mess up the plastic trims. Could someone provide me a pictured or video guide for this panel removal? Thanks in advance and have a good day.
Old 07-26-18 | 05:39 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by EasonC
Good afternoon guys,
I'm Eason and new here. I just got my gx460 and dong led conversions. I have no problems changing the bulbs but don't known how to reach the blinker relay. I know I would have to remove the lower dash panel (the piece below steering wheel) but I am inexperienced and don't want to mess up the plastic trims. Could someone provide me a pictured or video guide for this panel removal? Thanks in advance and have a good day.
Few of us here has done Auto Lane Changing Flashing mod, where involved flashing relay replacement. Following thread provide you some information on how to access the flashing relay:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...completed.html

Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-18 | 06:37 PM
EasonC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Nice work you've than. 多谢🙏
Old 07-26-18 | 07:04 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by EasonC
Thanks! Nice work you've than. 多谢🙏
Thx and you're welcome! Are you Chinese (or with Chinese language skills)?
Old 07-26-18 | 08:05 PM
EasonC
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually Chinese I saw you posted a link from taobao and your last name is pretty obvious
Old 02-27-19 | 11:30 PM
Funk101
Driver

Default Installing LED Turn Signal Resistors

Hey everyone,

I installed four Phillips Ultinon 7443 turn signal bulbs and decided to use the Phillips 21W Vision LED resistors (which require one for each bulb). I know there are 50W resistors available (which would require only two, one per side) but I thought it would be better to spread the heat among four resistors.

Originally I figured I would install one resistor at each corner, but is it possible to install two at each front turn signal? There’s so much more space to work there.

If so, would I have to wire them in series or parallel?

Thanks

Last edited by Funk101; 02-27-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-28-19 | 04:53 AM
John00
Racer

maybe that will help. looks like the front and rears are paralleled. as long as the front signal wiring can handle double the current (since simulating 2 bulbs) it looks like that could work.

a higher wattage by itself wont exactly work, it also needs to drop the resistance in order to double the current. you would wire in the resistors in parallel, to double the current. getting a single resistor with 1/2 the resistance and 2x the wattage would be the same.

another option is skip the resistors and change the relay to one with a set time regardless of load. they make these and are simple to install. this is my recommendation since you already have the bulbs. its as easy as swapping out a relay.
something like
Amazon Amazon
you can also get these relays with adjustable timing, and even timing that changes as you are sitting at the corner.

another option is use these extensions with resistors. just plug in and thats it. should be long enough to go wherever
Amazon Amazon

​​​​​​​theres even led turn signals with built in resistors. then you dont do anything besides change the bulb.

there is room to add resistors in the back, here are ideal locations.

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-28-19)
Old 02-28-19 | 05:41 AM
Funk101
Driver

Thanks for compiling all this info. I think I’m going to test wiring both resistors. I’ll monitor the heat at the wiring to see what happens. If it’s too hot I’ll install one at each bulb.

I saw the harness setup on amazon but those get mixed reviews. I also researched the flasher relay option at https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-fl...xus-gx460.html but the guy said it wouldn’t work for 2017+. That was actually my first choice.
Old 02-28-19 | 06:44 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by Funk101
Thanks for compiling all this info. I think I’m going to test wiring both resistors. I’ll monitor the heat at the wiring to see what happens. If it’s too hot I’ll install one at each bulb.

I saw the harness setup on amazon but those get mixed reviews. I also researched the flasher relay option at https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-fl...xus-gx460.html but the guy said it wouldn’t work for 2017+. That was actually my first choice.

most folks dont know which version of adapter to buy. theres so many, they get them and wonder why it dont fit, or it burns out the fuse.

beware theres some that look the same. people have burnt fuses, melted sockets, etc.

as for the flasher relay, if i was doing this again i would make my own relay if none were available. i bet diodedynamics wouldnt want to refer you to vleds, theres other ways to mod the relays also.
https://v-ledsblog.com/2010/12/02/ho...k-with-v-leds/ this is because i already had the bulbs
now, some vehicles wont even have the flasher relay anymore, much easier and cheaper to integrate the flash circuit into another component.

or maybe id get a turn signal with the resistor built in if i didnt have the bulbs. well, i recommend this approach for the easiest and quickest. i dont know about the actual bulb in this link, this is for the idea.
Amazon Amazon

in actuality i have some of the most complicated turn signals ever. not sequential or auto flashing though.

Old 03-05-19 | 08:00 AM
Funk101
Driver

Wow I never knew about the second type of 7443 wiring configuration.

I tried to wire the resistors in parallel but it still hyperflashed.

Im going to hold off with this install for now but when I have time I’ll wire them at all four corners or I’ll try ordering the vleds resistors.

Thanks for your help. I’ll post an update when I have new info.
Old 03-27-19 | 07:23 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by Funk101
Wow I never knew about the second type of 7443 wiring configuration.

I tried to wire the resistors in parallel but it still hyperflashed.

Im going to hold off with this install for now but when I have time I’ll wire them at all four corners or I’ll try ordering the vleds resistors.

Thanks for your help. I’ll post an update when I have new info.
if all you did was to parallel the resistors in one spot, that cuts the resistance in half while doubling the wattage capacity. if the lines are actually separate, then you need them on each one.
Old 11-13-19 | 11:59 AM
MatB
Rookie

Has anyone had success installing both front and rear LED turn signals without a load resistor and not experience hyper flashing? If so, what bulbs did you use?
Old 11-13-19 | 03:03 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by MatB
Has anyone had success installing both front and rear LED turn signals without a load resistor and not experience hyper flashing? If so, what bulbs did you use?
yes
used may bulbs
you can use bulbs with built in resistors
you can use a different relay that doesnt use current to time flashing - this is the recommended method
Old 11-13-19 | 03:25 PM
MatB
Rookie

Thanks. Do you have a part number for the bulbs you used?
Old 11-13-19 | 05:40 PM
John00
Racer

the last ones i used were this
Amazon Amazon

I used them because they were switchbacks. they did have the resistor.

any 7440 should work with the relays, but do check if its wired CK or not

Quick Reply: LED Turn Signals