Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

MPG Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 05:37 PM
blazers420
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blazers420
That's strange..I get mid 15s-16 in the 2017 GX460. I'm lifted with 33" tires.

My 2016 Acura MDX gets about 23MPG. Bone stock.
Yup, SH-AWD.
Old 02-13-18, 06:42 AM
HRDave
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking 2017 Average Gas Mileage

I've had my GX since September 2017 and I'm averaging 17.9 highway with cruise set to 75 MPH.
In town I average 16 MPG.
I'm happy as I bought this vehicle to pull my Winnebago Micro Minnie (dry weight 3750lbs.) I average 11MPG pulling Minnie.
That's better than I thought it would be.
Old 02-14-18, 08:11 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I prefer a lift gate or tail gate. that said, it hasn't been an inconvienece worth talking about. Mercedes G-Wagon has the same, ( think it opens from the other side).
Wife's grocery getter, does a lot of very short trips, fairly light throttle, just over 15 mpg. 20 mpg in mountain highway driving. Previous car is a 1998 5.2 ltr Grand Cherokee. ~ 1000 lbs lighter, gets similar gas mileage.
Old 02-25-18, 07:18 AM
Quintin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPG---15-16 avg in City. MPG---18-22 avg Hwy. The stats are very understated. I love that a 1UR-FE V8 engine gets that mileage...not to mention, Toyota engineering perfection- which these engines are tested w/ over 800k miles for reliability at factory.
Old 02-26-18, 08:46 AM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quintin
MPG---15-16 avg in City. MPG---18-22 avg Hwy. The stats are very understated. I love that a 1UR-FE V8 engine gets that mileage...not to mention, Toyota engineering perfection- which these engines are tested w/ over 800k miles for reliability at factory.
800K miles testing sounds very promising on the reliability of the engine!
Old 02-26-18, 08:55 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Average about 15-16mpg for in town driving.

I REALLY hope Lexus doesn't put nonsense like a mandatory "start/stop" feature on their cars where the car stalls out at every light to save like 50 cents a month on gas. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Drove a Mercedes GL that had that feature, every time you started the car you had to turn that off. The option wouldn't "stay" off. It was an $80k luxury vehicle that felt like the transmission was about to go out at every stop light.
Old 02-26-18, 09:18 AM
cicio
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you guys get high MPG? I think I'm one of the most easygoing drivers on Long Island. I drive about 50% highway and got only 15mpg Avg (sometimes even lower).
I do get 20+ on the highway but combined, never got anything higher than 15.
By the way, when driving in the city, it's less than 10.
Old 02-26-18, 10:05 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Average about 15-16mpg for in town driving.

I REALLY hope Lexus doesn't put nonsense like a mandatory "start/stop" feature on their cars where the car stalls out at every light to save like 50 cents a month on gas. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Drove a Mercedes GL that had that feature, every time you started the car you had to turn that off. The option wouldn't "stay" off. It was an $80k luxury vehicle that felt like the transmission was about to go out at every stop light.
I don’t think there will be an option for long, although as much as I hate Trump he is the one person who may roll back regulations

Originally Posted by cicio
How do you guys get high MPG? I think I'm one of the most easygoing drivers on Long Island. I drive about 50% highway and got only 15mpg Avg (sometimes even lower).
I do get 20+ on the highway but combined, never got anything higher than 15.
By the way, when driving in the city, it's less than 10.
”City” driving is relative. My wife has zero highway driving to work, but she does have some fairly long stretches of surface streets between traffic lights, and seldom does she get caught in long lines of stopped traffic.

The other big difference is how well people look ahead and respond to what traffic is doing 1/4 mile ahead of them. Most people are reactive drivers. I’m very proactive based upon what I see ahead of me.

Old 02-26-18, 10:10 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Strictly city driving I get around 14-15mpg too. Mixed of highway and city with traffic around 16-17. All highway is around 20-22 depends on how flat the roads are and if I stay around 65mph.
There are some really long wait red lights around my area and hitting a few of those will definitely drop the average down.
On a full tank, I average around 300-330 miles.
Old 04-09-18, 11:52 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gas usage

Hey guys, new here, im currently on my 3rd Lexus, loving them, no issues what soever with any of them. I currently have an RX350, however ive been looking to upgrade to a GX for quite some time now, and i happened to stumble across a couple of good, L/C Pre-owned GXs. one is 2015 for 35k and another one is 2016 for 38k here at a dealer. I test drove both, they both seem great, 1 owner on both, no accidents, low miles. Now ive never dealt with GX before so i do not really know what to expect from it in terms of mechanical things, like are they also reliable, do they have any common issues ( for example RXs have rear shocks leakage around 50k miles, happened to both of my RXs, dealer said its factory fault and its common in this model), and also i know the engine is much bigger than the 3.5 in RX, how is the MPG for the GX model, what is on avg that it consumes if you're a normal driver, meaning id use it primarily as a daily car to get to work and home, a bit of pleasure driving over the weekend, for the most part it will be highway miles because i have to travel from Brooklyn to deep Queens, should i be expecting a big gas expenses?

TIA
Old 04-09-18, 12:26 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Compare to my folks' RX350, my GX loses about 2 mpg in real time driving
Old 04-09-18, 01:06 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

On stock tires and all freeway traveling around 60-70mph, I would get 20-21+ MPG.
Mixed driving around 16-18MPG and city only around 15MPG.
Old 04-09-18, 01:08 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
Hey guys, new here, im currently on my 3rd Lexus, loving them, no issues what soever with any of them. I currently have an RX350, however ive been looking to upgrade to a GX for quite some time now, and i happened to stumble across a couple of good, L/C Pre-owned GXs. one is 2015 for 35k and another one is 2016 for 38k here at a dealer. I test drove both, they both seem great, 1 owner on both, no accidents, low miles. Now ive never dealt with GX before so i do not really know what to expect from it in terms of mechanical things, like are they also reliable, do they have any common issues ( for example RXs have rear shocks leakage around 50k miles, happened to both of my RXs, dealer said its factory fault and its common in this model), and also i know the engine is much bigger than the 3.5 in RX, how is the MPG for the GX model, what is on avg that it consumes if you're a normal driver, meaning id use it primarily as a daily car to get to work and home, a bit of pleasure driving over the weekend, for the most part it will be highway miles because i have to travel from Brooklyn to deep Queens, should i be expecting a big gas expenses?

TIA
Few tings do keep in mind as you try to compare GX with RX. They are totally different kind of vehicles to begin with, in particular, GX is a body on frame, much heavy and more capable then RX. With that set, the right quality will be less car like as you may get with RX, since it is a cross-over vehicle based on Camery platform. On liability end, I do consider GX is far better than RX, GX is currently build in Japan, the quality control process is a bit better than other lexus factories around world (without doubt, their overall processes are still better than others regardless the production location). RX are made in either Canadian plants or Mexico plants. As a personal experiences, I had previous GX470 with trouble free for 12 years and 2014 GX with trouble free so far. I also had RX300 for 5 years with little problems here there, nothing major but still inconvenient. As far as mpg, you will be expecting the GX will be lesser than RX, its heavier and with a bigger engine. IT's all depends on your driving style and usage, anywhere 15 mpg to 20 mpg will be likely.
Old 04-09-18, 01:29 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

If you are particularly price sensitive to gas, I would not buy a GX460. I get mid-teens around town, maybe 18-20 on the highway.
Old 04-09-18, 02:04 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello Yurka,

From what I have already learned from my short time as a GX460 owner is that they are much more substantial and solid-feeling vehicles than even the great RX series cars/crossovers.

As for mileage, we are seeing what others are reporting. These are trucks with a full frame, and they weigh a lot, on the order of 5300lbs. They also have the capability of a real truck with a 6500lb towing capacity and they do carry the Land Cruiser Prado name (in almost all other countries except the USA). My Mother owned a nice RX330 and got very good service out of it, and sold it with 240,000 miles on it, but still in good shape with no problems. She said she wanted the biggest and best Lexus made, so I pointed her to the LX 570 of course.

Now, for more specific questions about GX460 reliability, the only possibly pitfalls with the GX460's come from three main areas:

1. Engine Timing cover weep/ leak possible - Will only be covered up to 72 months/ 70,000 miles
2. Chance of Air shock failure on luxury or premium models (the base model GX 460 doesn't have air suspension) at medium or higher mileages - You can replace air shocks with OEM, or you can convert to the base model GX 460 components or aftermarket shocks and springs to eliminate the air system components. You will no longer have automatic leveling capability after doing so.
3. Emission system failure - Secondary air injection system failures , which are now covered on all GX 460's by lexus with a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty that was just put into place by Lexus

As you head upwards into the premium and luxury models of all years, you get into more of the expensive and complicated systems such as headlights that turn with the steering wheel, camera's everywhere, driver safety/ assistance packages with radar, 3 zone climate control, etc.

We just bought a nice used 2012 base model and we are very happy with it overall, even coming from a little Subaru that got 22mpg around town, going down to 16mpg in town with the GX460, my wife and I both know how much better and more substantial this GX 460 is. There are no regrets. PERIOD!

Good luck with your search!

Quick Reply: MPG Discussion