3.83%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

MPG Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 06:57 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank You, I got a call from a friend at a dealership today that they had another great 2015 GX and i went to check it out and got it.The car seems great, black on black, low miles, fully loaded however It feels much bigger than an RX. Like from the outside the size doesn't seem that much different but from the inside it completely different feeling. I drove it in the city and on the highway and then in the city again to mix it up a little and mpg came down to 18.1 which seems great, i honestly expected it to be much lower. So far happy with the purchase, with negotiations and all that- it came down to be 27k final price. Will post pictures later when its day time so i get a change to take a few good ones.

I want to install a cross bars any suggestions on a good product? Before i had OEM cross bars on the RX, i need that for my snowboarding roof rack, i go to the mountain often in the winter times and i feel bad about carrying wet boards in the trunk with bent seats, not so great for the leather
Old 04-09-18, 07:15 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That is an awesome price on a 2015!

Congrats and welcome to the madness!

I have read that the Lexus factory roof cross bars are the best.

Old 04-09-18, 07:22 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Is it a Base 2015? Still a great price, congrats!

If you just want to carry snowboards and skis, then factory crossbars will be fine. That’s what I have with a Yakima Ski Rack.
Old 04-09-18, 07:47 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Thank you, not its a premium package, parking sensors, blindspot, heated wheel/seats,remote starter and lots of things i have no idea how to operate since i didnt have them on the RX, will have to go over the manual tomorrow.
Old 04-09-18, 08:18 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

A 2015 premium GX for 27k? Wow! I hate to see the trade in for mine now...

Regardless, enjoy it!

OEM cross bars can be purchased online. There is a aftermarket one on ebay at a fraction of the cost. I have not tried either one but figure it might help.

By the way, how are all of you getting 20+ on the highway? I'm lucky to get 18ish

My total average to date is at 15.5 MPG. NYC driving should get you close to 15-16 mpg especially with that stop and go. You also see as low as 12-13 MPG depending on how heavy your foot is.

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 04-09-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 08:38 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

well the original price was much higher, but since ive been with the same people for a while now - they were willing to negotiate so after everything it came down to that amount. As for MPG my combined overall was 18.1 mostly because i drove like an old lady since the car felt so much different from the RX, but im sure once i get comfortable the mpg will get lower
Also since we on gas topic, what gas would you recommend for the GX. With RX the book said to put regular, 87, but i put higher, with the GX i assume you'd have to go 91 and up or no?

Last edited by Yurka; 04-10-18 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-09-18, 10:23 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Non-ethanol premium

This weekend I was driving down the Oregon coast and I ran across a gas station offering non-ethanol premium. On my way back to Seattle I decided to fill up and see what if any changes I would notice.

At at first glance, performance was about the same... I could argue for some faster acceleration but it could be the “performance air filter” sensation - marginal at best and probably not measurable.

On on the other hand, I did average about 19.5mpg which is better than I ever have had on this trip (once or twice x month down to cannon beach). Historically I try to get anything above 18 and call it a good day.

When my wife drives the GX in the city we get about 14-15mpg on her best week (Seattle is hilly and she drives no highway in her commute).

Im looking to see if there are long term gains or success stories out there. If I notice any engine cleaning or marginal gains after this fill up I may do it more often. It’s hard to find this gas here in Seattle unless you are going to a Marina but if I find that it cleans up the engine I think it might be worth the once per month fill when I go down to the coast. It was $3.99/gal vs $3.30 so it is a significant cost difference.

anybody else trying this and what have you seen (gains/losses/neutral)?
Old 04-10-18, 12:25 AM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Here in Lakewood, CO, near Bandimere dragstrip, there are two stations with non ethanol and lower ethanol gas. One Conoco station has 87 octane (considered mid-grade here because of elevation) that has only 6% ethanol in it, and their premium 91 has no ethanol.

Yes, there is definitely a power difference as well as better mileage difference with these improved fuels testing them in my 06 Land Cruiser. I know they will make a difference in the 2012 GX460 once I get to fill it up also(just acquired used one). You would have to clear out your computer to have the engine tune itself best for non-ethanol and you would see a power increase immediately because if the higher timing advance in the map and more energy in the fuel.

One thing I can say for certain is that I have never had a vapor lock issue or vapor release smell when running the non-ethanol fuels, whereas, regular 10% ethanol vapor locked several times (5 times) on hot days and wouldn’t restart until it cooled off an hour later. This happened twice at 9,000 ft+ elevations on very mild weather days(75 degrees ambient). I have parked my cruiser after a long highway trip up and down elevations with regular gas, and the amount of vapor being released was crazy( I had to push it out if the garage it was so strong smelling). Needless to say, I always run at least the 87 octane with less ethanol in it when I can fill up close to home. I tend to get 17.5-18mpg with 33 inch tires on my cruiser with the 87, versus 15.5mpg with regular 10% ethanol 87. I can get 19mpg when I run 91 non-ethanol!

also, run the Non ethanol fuel in my lawn equipment and chainsaws and the fuel never goes stale or bad in over a year
Old 04-10-18, 02:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I try to run this fuel in my snowmobiles when I can.

Here is a website that shows local stations that carry it.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Old 04-10-18, 02:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
On stock tires and all freeway traveling around 60-70mph, I would get 20-21+ MPG.
Mixed driving around 16-18MPG and city only around 15MPG.
That similar to what I get.
Old 04-10-18, 06:08 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If gas mileage is an issue, I'd avoid the GX. It's a pig. I average in that 16mpg range.
Old 04-10-18, 07:59 PM
doclexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ethanol containing gasoline has less energy per gallon and attracts water. Boat mechanics love it.
Old 04-12-18, 03:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I had forgotten a couple winters back to drain gas out of my snowblower at my cabin. Ethanol gas looked like turpentine when I emptied out and inside the carb bowl it was caramel everywhere. Fortunately I drained and cleaned everything out really well and gave a good carb cleaner wash and fortunately ran fine without further work.
Old 04-12-18, 05:13 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I usually run a bottle of fuel treatment in the tank once or twice a year on most of my cars just in case there's any water. Winter gas is pretty bad in California.

I wish there's a pure station around me to try though.
Old 04-12-18, 06:32 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I always drive a car calling for high Octane gas. Pretty well I only fill up with Shell Premium. If you switch fuel back and forth with different Octane value or different brand ECU has to adjust to it. Main thing is preventing knock and build ups inside engine(specially with DI type engines, most engines today is DI type). And once a year I empty a bottle of Techrol when tank is almost empty. Engine always Purrs! Also I fill only premium fuel when I sue power equipment such as chain saw, lawn mower, snow blower, etc. When storing for next season I use stabilizer always . At the beginning of season they always start with one or two pulls.(no need for electric starter)

Last edited by Htony; 04-12-18 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: MPG Discussion