GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Hood flexing up and down at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 01:53 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Hood flexing up and down at highway speeds

I know most are concerned about drifting GX which personally is not a big issues and I am sure the issue will be fixed soon by quick software update.

I have noticed something in my GX which is more annoying for me as I have to look at it while driving. At highway speeds the hood in the middle from windshield side is flexing up and down (60+ miles/hr).

Did anyone noticed that as well. Wondering if I have an issue with my hood or Lexus uses thin metal for the hood and everyone has the same issue.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-15-10, 02:03 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try opening and closing your hood again; when I was picking up my car at the dealer, I opened the hood and closed it, but the sales rep walked over and said it's not closed tight yet. I asked how can you tell and he showed me that the middle will flex if you push down on it; if the hood is shut tight the flexing won't happen. He admitted that the metal for the hood seems to be thinner and softer - probably to save weight - but the flexing shouldn't be a problem if it's shut tight. If you still experience flexing after opening/closing the hood a few times bring it to the dealer, they might have to adjust the mechanism a little. Hope this helps!!
Old 04-15-10, 02:08 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by akfd
Try opening and closing your hood again; when I was picking up my car at the dealer, I opened the hood and closed it, but the sales rep walked over and said it's not closed tight yet. I asked how can you tell and he showed me that the middle will flex if you push down on it; if the hood is shut tight the flexing won't happen. He admitted that the metal for the hood seems to be thinner and softer - probably to save weight - but the flexing shouldn't be a problem if it's shut tight. If you still experience flexing after opening/closing the hood a few times bring it to the dealer, they might have to adjust the mechanism a little. Hope this helps!!
How do you close tight? When you slam the hood down and the front mechanism locks in I assume it is tight and closed. Do you have to push down on it again?
Old 04-15-10, 02:32 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luke27617
How do you close tight? When you slam the hood down and the front mechanism locks in I assume it is tight and closed. Do you have to push down on it again?
It's really tricky; I thought a traditional "slam it down hard baby " type of hood closing would do the trick, but no. I've only opened and closed the hood once, so I can't really tell you how it's done, but try not to slam it hard, and make sure the hood is aligned properly by looking at the left and right gaps to make certain that they're somewhat equal.
Old 04-15-10, 02:35 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

It's really tricky; I thought a traditional "slam it down hard baby " type of hood closing would do the trick, but no. I've only opened and closed the hood once, so I can't really tell you how it's done, but try not to slam it hard, and make sure the hood is aligned properly by looking at the left and right gaps to make certain that they're somewhat equal.
Thanks for the tip! Will try it when I pick up the car from the dealer. Amazing that you have to take hood closing educational class
Old 04-15-10, 02:47 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Thanks for the tip! Will try it when I pick up the car from the dealer. Amazing that you have to take hood closing educational class
Yeah, I felt like an idiot when the sales rep had to instruct me on how to close a hood at the dealership with other reps/customers looking at me!
Old 04-15-10, 04:43 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree that there is no reason to slam the hood, but what appears critical is that the weatherstripping gaskets along all four sides are sealing properly. I was wiping down the gasket along the rear of the hood (in front of the wiper blades) and dislodged it! It took a bit of fiddling to determine how the gasket is held in place, but once it was all is well.

You will know if your hood is closed correctly and the gaskets are sealing correctly if there is a uniform 'reveal' of black rubber along the front and side seams. Run your finger along the seams ... if you feel or see a bulge or a gap, open the hood, find and fix the problem and you will be fine.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. It wasn't all that long ago that hoods were not only 'ungasketed' but also that they relied on just two rubber bumpers to set their clearance. The GX 460 has more weatherstripping for the hood than some cars have for their doors! ;-)
Old 04-15-10, 05:47 PM
akfd
Pole Position

^ Very good tip SaniDel, thank you for sharing!
Old 04-15-10, 09:59 PM
Alaska
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A flexing hood is not good for the paint. If the flexing occurs over and over for years, the paint will begin to chip.
Old 04-16-10, 05:34 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Very good tip SaniDel, thank you for sharing!
You are welcome.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-18-10, 10:09 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

I think all GX460 have the hood issue. I have just went to a dealership and every GX's hood flexes easily. Using my scientific method just slap your hood in the middle with your hand. The whole thing flexes (vibrates). I bet if you drive any of them at 80 miles an hour the hood would be flexing or vibrating from middle section toward windshield.

Let me know if you see this in yours when you take it on the highway next time.
Old 04-20-10, 07:34 AM
DallasGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luke27617
i think all gx460 have the hood issue. I have just went to a dealership and every gx's hood flexes easily. Using my scientific method just slap your hood in the middle with your hand. The whole thing flexes (vibrates). I bet if you drive any of them at 80 miles an hour the hood would be flexing or vibrating from middle section toward windshield.

Let me know if you see this in yours when you take it on the highway next time.
call cr. Lol
Old 04-20-10, 08:39 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by DallasGX
call cr. Lol
Maybe the hood is causing drifting abilities of GX460 by not having consistent down force at front.
Old 04-20-10, 10:05 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't notice that... is it very obvious? May be I just didn't pay attention
Old 04-20-10, 10:25 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by ybing
I didn't notice that... is it very obvious? May be I just didn't pay attention
Look at middle section from windshield side. At 65mph I see light vibrations in the hood. At 75mph it is very noticable.

Quick Reply: Hood flexing up and down at highway speeds