GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 GX 460 voluntary recall (update to the ECU VSC coming out end of April)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 04:20 PM
deekdeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow nice vid. looks much better now....good job on Toyota's part for the quick fix. i wonder if CR will be retesting it.
Old 04-20-10, 04:36 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Approximately 34 Thousand Vehicles Involved in this 'Remedy'

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/10/04/0420.html

April 20, 2010
TMC Announces Remedy for Vehicle Stability Control
in Lexus GX 460 and Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
Toyota City, Japan—Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces its remedy for the problem concerning the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) program in its Lexus GX 460 and certain Land Cruiser Prado vehicles.

In circumstances in which advanced driving skills are required, such as when a driver of the involved vehicle sharply turns the steering wheel in high-speed conditions, or when the driver negotiates a curve at excessive speeds, the vehicle could slide sideways, due to the insufficient activation of the VSC.

The following conditions combine to cause the problem:
- In the GX 460 and Land Cruiser Prado, heavy components, such as the fuel tank, are located on the left side, and in left-hand drive versions, the left side is made even heavier because of the presence of the driver.
- For vehicles with certain tires (on 18-inch wheels) and equipped with the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS*) and VSC, the activation of the VSC may not be sufficient in certain circumstances due to the setting of the VSC program.
- Circumstances may require advanced driving skills, such as sharp turns of the steering wheel in high-speed conditions or negotiating a curve to the right at excessive speeds.

As a remedy, Toyota will update the VSC program to enhance the effectiveness of the VSC so that the risk of the vehicle sliding, even to the point that it is almost sideways, will be reduced.

Vehicles involved are as follows:
- GX 460: Approx. 13,000 units in total Approx. 9,400 units in the United States, approx. 1,000 units in Russia, approx 1,000 units in Oman
- Land Cruiser Prado: Approx. 21,000 units in total (only left-hand drive vehicles with KDSS and VSC)
Approx. 4,400 units in Oman, approx. 4,000 units in Russia, approx. 1,500 units in the United Arab Emirates. No right-hand drive units have this problem.

In total, approximately 34,000 units worldwide are involved. In North America, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) and Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) each announced a voluntary recall on April 19 (local time). As for other regions and countries involved, such as in Europe and the Middle East, TMC will work to implement similar measures as soon as possible.

*Optimally adjusts the front and rear stabilizers so that the stabilizers disengage in rough road conditions, thereby preventing the vehicle from pitching in curves.

Last edited by SaniDel; 04-20-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 05:38 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mark Templin Video Announcement of Voluntary Recall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1Pj0KCjAs

May I suggest to all 2010 GX 460 owners that they take Mark Templin at his word ... contact your dealer, take advantage of the support they offer ... and keep things in perspective? This issue will soon be resolved and the long-term effect on the resale value of your new vehicle will be negligible ... unless you choose to "make a mountain out of a molehill"!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-20-10, 05:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaniDel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1Pj0KCjAs

May I suggest to all 2010 GX 460 owners that they take Mark Templin at his word ... contact your dealer, take advantage of the support they offer ... and keep things in perspective?
Good idea, and thx for the link. They've offered loaner cars and now have a fix. The video demo is now also on YouTube as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDTeO...layer_embedded

Originally Posted by SaniDel
EYES ON THE ROAD
APRIL 21, 2010
Why Toyota Rolled Over for Its SUVs
By JOSEPH B. WHITE

Government agencies, automotive magazines and auto makers elsewhere in the world evaluate vehicle stability using tests designed to simulate the panicky steering that can get motorists into trouble. An automotive magazine in Sweden flipped over a Mercedes-Benz A-class in 1997 with a fast lane-change test dubbed the "moose test," so named because it simulated the maneuvers required to evade a moose (or elk) in the road. A chastened Mercedes redesigned the car and installed stability control, and the revamped A-Class passed. [...]

The problem with both the NHTSA and Consumer Reports tests is that about 95% of rollover accidents happen under circumstances that they don't cover. Such accidents occur when a vehicle hits a curb or ditch or some other obstacle and "trips" over the obstruction. Even vehicles with a low center of gravity can and do roll when tripped up. In 2008, 69% of all rollover accidents involved cars.
Ah yes, the 'moose test' which led to Mercedes-Benz redesigning the A-Class - it's kind of become 'stump the manufacturer' but I guess the more tests the more updated features. And it's worth noting about the stability control benefits, plus the need to be careful in general when driving.

This time, the response from Lexus and Toyota was very quick, just a week's time between the announcement and the software update. They also suspended sales the same day and are coordinating the VSC recall worldwide. This is definitely setting a rapid response precedent for the future.
Old 04-21-10, 04:08 PM
kelv2888
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the heritage that comes with our GX 460! Did not regret my purchase for one second.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56AWG75_gOc&NR=1
Old 04-21-10, 08:33 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelv2888
This is the heritage that comes with our GX 460! Did not regret my purchase for one second.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56AWG75_gOc&NR=1
I believe the Land Cruisers (Lexus LX/GX) are the toughest cars that Toyota makes; the trucks can survive virtually everything since they're based on military vehicles.
Old 04-23-10, 04:40 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akfd
I believe the Land Cruisers (Lexus LX/GX) are the toughest cars that Toyota makes; the trucks can survive virtually everything since they're based on military vehicles.
Hear, Hear, very glad to see Toyota/Lexus taking such an active role in getting the GX460 issue resolved so quickly! Wow, one week, really?!??!! Very impressive.

AKFD, I believe the latest model LX is no longer based on the Land Cruiser but is based on the Seqouia truck instead and IMHO, cheapens the LX model. Had Toyota/Lexus still kept the Land Cruiser as the basis of the the LX then it might be worth the extra $25K+ over the price of the GX...

Seqouia, really??!?? What were you thinking Toyota!
Old 04-23-10, 07:19 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
I believe the latest model LX is no longer based on the Land Cruiser but is based on the Seqouia truck instead
The LX is still (as always) based on the Land Cruiser.

It is not based on the Sequoia.
Old 04-23-10, 08:31 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
AKFD, I believe the latest model LX is no longer based on the Land Cruiser but is based on the Seqouia truck instead and IMHO, cheapens the LX model.
I think it's the other way around; the Sequoia is based on the Land Cruiser.
Old 04-23-10, 01:15 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's the other way around; the Sequoia is based on the Land Cruiser.
The Sequoia is not based on the Land Cruiser.

It's based on the Tundra.
Old 04-23-10, 01:27 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

You are correct

Originally Posted by antonio98

Old 04-23-10, 04:36 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by antonio98

The Tundra is related to the Tacoma, which is really a Hilux. The Hilux is related to the Hilux Surf (4Runner), therefore it's related to the Land Cruiser. So in order to make myself look smart, the Sequoia does have something to do with the Land Cruiser.

All joking aside, has anyone made an appointment to get the VSC program updated? Because there are so few of the GX's here (I've seen 2 others in town), there's not much information. I called my dealer and it seems he didn't know too much about the recall.
Old 04-23-10, 04:47 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Tundra is related to the Tacoma, which is really a Hilux. The Hilux is related to the Hilux Surf (4Runner), therefore it's related to the Land Cruiser. So in order to make myself look smart, the Sequoia does have something to do with the Land Cruiser.

All joking aside, has anyone made an appointment to get the VSC program updated? Because there are so few of the GX's here (I've seen 2 others in town), there's not much information. I called my dealer and it seems he didn't know too much about the recall.
I dont think that is correct. The Tundra is a much larger truck(different frame & etc). The tacoma and 4runner may be still related somewhat, therefore making them a cousin to the LC Prado sold overseas. To clarify, the Sequioa & Tundra share a chassis, the 4runner & GX460 share one, and the LX570 & Land Cruiser share one.

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
Old 04-23-10, 06:05 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I dont think that is correct. The Tundra is a much larger truck(different frame & etc). The tacoma and 4runner may be still related somewhat, therefore making them a cousin to the LC Prado sold overseas. To clarify, the Sequioa & Tundra share a chassis, the 4runner & GX460 share one, and the LX570 & Land Cruiser share one.

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
Thank you for clarifying.

By the way, I was just joking, trying to save face by sounding smart. Obviously to someone who knew the distinction, I looked awfully stupid.
Old 04-23-10, 07:04 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for clarifying.

By the way, I was just joking, trying to save face by sounding smart. Obviously to someone who knew the distinction, I looked awfully stupid.

No problem.

Quick Reply: 2010 GX 460 voluntary recall (update to the ECU VSC coming out end of April)