GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 01:41 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah.. having a dedicated winter set is a game changer for me. When I got my GX, I instantly look for an old 18" GX wheels and ended up buying a set of wheels for about $400. Then slapped on the Michelin Ice on it. One week later, I drove to whistler and man, I'm glad to have it.

Will be probably installing the winter set around mid-october.

Plus side of the 2020. I can reprogram the car to recognize new set of TPS, natively.
Old 09-17-20, 07:58 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,074 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by eNx
Yeah.. having a dedicated winter set is a game changer for me. When I got my GX, I instantly look for an old 18" GX wheels and ended up buying a set of wheels for about $400. Then slapped on the Michelin Ice on it. One week later, I drove to whistler and man, I'm glad to have it.

Will be probably installing the winter set around mid-october.

Plus side of the 2020. I can reprogram the car to recognize new set of TPS, natively.
Could not agree more. I don't worry about TPMS on my winter wheels ... no sensors installed. We as a society drove for a century before the DOT imposed TPMS in 2007 and people survived by actually paying attention to their tire pressures. Then thanks to the Ford Exploder debacle, TPMS was imposed as a result of criminal incompetence ... Firestome / Bridgestone specifically, so now we all live with the added complexity and cost of TPMS.

If Toyota / Lexus were smart like the Germans, they would realize that the ABS system can be used to monitor tire pressures ... doing away with the need for a secondary system and supporting hardware.

Old 09-18-20, 10:44 AM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Totally agree. When I use to have rice rockets, TPMS was the least in my mind. It's all about the blow off valve. haha.
Old 12-02-20, 07:11 PM
vizsla
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking to get rims and tires. I have a few questions. Prefer getting a new set of wheels for the winter tires. Will be getting a 2021 with the 19 inch wheels, not my first choice. Would have preferred the 18's.

Been looking at getting 4runner wheels to use for the winter tires. 265/17 R17. The auto yard has a decent selection of 4runner wheels at a decent price. They only have one set of GX's wheels for double the price. I don't really care too much if they don't look the greatest. Doing some research it does look like this combination will ok on a GX460. Please let me know if I am wrong?

Have people gone without TPMS sensors in their winter tires without issue?

Is there a new TPMS sensor part number for the 2020-21? The FAQ has the part number listed as 42607-33022. Lexuspartsnow gives 42607-48010 as the part number for the 2020.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-20, 05:20 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,407 Posts

'20+ has a different TPMS system than 10-19 so not sure what errors you will see with only the spare sensor transmitting.

One advantage of a '20+ is you can self program TPMS sensors. Techstream or other 3rd party devices are no longer needed for programming TPMS w/tire swaps.
Old 12-20-21, 07:11 AM
sjz
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Snow Driving

Hello,

I'm looking for advice from my northernly friends. I've got a 2018 with Michelin defenders, and we're heading to Durango for the new year. I was just wondering if I will be ok with just the tires or if picking up a set of chains would be smart. I've been to CO before but not Durango so I don't know what the protocol is. I was under the impression M. defenders are NOT m+s but google seems to suggest its possible.
Old 12-20-21, 09:25 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

It really depends on the winter and snow conditions in the area. The Defender "may" provide adequate traction in lighter snow conditions but I would be concerned if the area gets deep snow, hard packed snow or ice conditions, it would be doubtful this tire would work well in those conditions. Some will say having a 4 wheel drive is the answer (which you have with your GX), but 4 wheel drive will only be an advantage when accelerating, much less when cornering and have zero effect when braking. I love not getting stuck but I buy my winter tires based on maximum control when cornering and braking.
The following users liked this post:
2chains (12-24-21)
Old 12-20-21, 10:59 AM
sjz
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ian,

Thanks for the quick response. I should have specified I'm just visiting Durango for a week. They're obviously not the best tires for long term snow living. But will they be sufficient for a week in snow conditions.
Old 12-20-21, 11:21 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sjz
Ian,

Thanks for the quick response. I should have specified I'm just visiting Durango for a week. They're obviously not the best tires for long term snow living. But will they be sufficient for a week in snow conditions.
A short term visit does make a difference, Yes I am sure for the limited driving your current tires will get you through. I would definitely hesitate buying winter tires for a short trip, the key becomes driving to the conditions,
Old 12-20-21, 12:13 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

You will be fine unless you plan on going overlanding in some deep heavy snow and ice off the beaten path places. Chances are, where you are going, the roads are plowed.
DrRock (02-07-22)
Old 12-20-21, 12:36 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by sjz
Ian,

Given that it sounds like you aren't used to winter driving conditions, the best advice I can give is to slow down and leave yourself lots of extra room to stop/turn/etc, and provide drivers around you the same luxury where possible.

I also like to lower my cold tire pressure a couple of pounds for a bit of extra bite (if you normally run 36psi, try 34 instead, a bit more tread in contact with the road isn't a bad thing when it's slippery out.

I can't say if there are passes on your route that would have snow chain requirements or severe winter rated tires, but that's worth determining ahead of time.
Acrad (12-20-21)
Old 12-22-21, 09:22 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,074 Likes on 717 Posts

Michelin Defender's perform very well in light snow and slippery conditions ... but are not a replacement for a full-on winter tire. My take ... tires are THE most important component on a vehicle ... handling, braking distance, emergency maneuver response (etc) ... so I tend to spend the money to avoid the cost of an accident ... insurance deductible and then living with the repair consequence of a vehicle that has been compromised ... and this all assumes that no one was injured (or worse) in the accident. So my point is that tires are cheap insurance in the scheme of consideration. Heavy snow ... chains should always be onboard for safe low speed traction for the limited mileage they are necessary. For anything else, investing in tires ... or even studded tires mounted on steel wheels for limited winter use. Nokian Hakkapeliitta are a fantastic winter tire that comes in both studded and non-studded versions ... made in Finland where they live with snow for close to all-year around.

If buying chains ... do a fitment test in your driveway, and check for clearance ... specifically the fronts for full left and full right steering lock. Nothing worse than being on the road and fitting chains for the first time when it is freezing outside, only to find out that they do not fit, or have rubbing issues to where they are unusable. Also beware of the slick plastic low profile "chains" ... durability is questionable, and if they break apart at speed, you will not be happy with the resulting body damage. If buying chains ... buy real chains.

Last edited by ASE; 12-22-21 at 09:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ASE:
hzhao (12-22-21), IanB2 (12-22-21), IanG (12-22-21)
Old 12-23-21, 04:55 AM
dozlert
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We plan on making multiple Colorado trips and have installed Toyo Open Country AT3 tires. They are 3 peak snow rated and comfort/quietness/ride similar to stock tires.
VentoGT (02-23-22)
Old 12-23-21, 05:11 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with all prev said, but I will add tire pressure. I here a lot of people running way too high of pressure especially for winter driving. If you are doing 70 on a dry freeway then higher pressure is ok but if its snowy and you are doing 50 max speed. 32psi. If its snowing hard and driving is limited to 35ish drop your pressure to 28psi. Maybe carry a small air compressor to air up for the trip home. Air pressure is everything when it comes to traction. If you are not framiliar with chains and how to install them, look into Socks. I have a set for a work rig and they work well and are very easy to install. Any traction aid limits you to 35mph max. Please dont put them on and try to go 60, you are going to do damage to your rig.
Old 12-24-21, 10:53 PM
TwoSpeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

The roads around Durango can be handled with all season tires without much issue if you have tread on them. The GX romps in the snow if you put correct tires on. Chains are cheap if you want peace of mind.

currently setup for ski duty

The following 6 users liked this post by TwoSpeed:
2chains (01-08-22), brutus27 (12-27-21), Hehena (12-25-21), kamikazi (01-04-22), Piney1 (02-25-22), VentoGT (02-23-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires