GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-22, 08:07 PM
Mark2015
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
The GX460 has probably the best true 4-Wheel Drive System on the planet. I'm now going to be really direct ... no matter the drive-train system ... no matter how sophisticated ... unless the tires can translate traction to the road surface, you are wasting your time. The OEM tires supplied on ANY and all Toyota or Lexus "body-on-frame" vehicles are absolute garbage ... Dunlop or Bridgestone .. both not worth driving further than to Discount Tire to purchase real tires for the trade-in offset for new tire purchase.

Your issue ... the tires. Period.
Thanks for the info.
It has Goodyear Endurance tires on it (not sure if there is a more specific model, they were covered in snow when I looked today) For what it's worth I assume they are All-Seasons but they really look more like a summer/dry kind of tire.
What is the go-to tire recommended here for cold-weather snowy areas of the country? Just to clarify, northern Colorado doesn't get lambasted with several blizzards a year, winters are relatively mild and bog snow storms are short lived and often melt off within a few days.
Thanks again for the insight.
Mark

Unrelated: Did my thread get merged with another post from 2017? Mods: Can that be...undone please?
Old 03-09-22, 08:09 PM
Mark2015
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by taybrynn
We have a 2019 here in Castle Rock, CO ... and traction hasn't been a problem at all. And we have the same crappy tires ... but they have not been horrible. But the review I read classified them as quite poor on snow and ice, so I have getting new tires on the list. But personally we have not slid around in them yet, which I am thankful for. What pressure are your tires at?
Thanks for the feedback.
I have no clue what pressure they are at but I will check tomorrow...I see where your going here.
Ironically my Mom just bought a '22 GX and hasn't mentioned any issues but now I'm going to peek at her tires.
Old 03-10-22, 06:46 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2015
.... my Mom just bought a '22 GX and hasn't mentioned any issues but now I'm going to peek at her tires.
New OEM tires will bite into slippery roads for a short time, maybe one season, but after a summer of driving they become poor for winter roads
Old 03-10-22, 07:14 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,072 Likes on 715 Posts

Thanks for the info.
It has Goodyear Endurance tires on it (not sure if there is a more specific model, they were covered in snow when I looked today) For what it's worth I assume they are All-Seasons but they really look more like a summer/dry kind of tire.
What is the go-to tire recommended here for cold-weather snowy areas of the country? Just to clarify, northern Colorado doesn't get lambasted with several blizzards a year, winters are relatively mild and bog snow storms are short lived and often melt off within a few days.
Thanks again for the insight.
Mark

Unrelated: Did my thread get merged with another post from 2017? Mods: Can that be...undone please?
"All-Season" tires ... yet another "marketing speak" term that misrepresents. "All-Season" is a 3-Season Tire ... so unless the tire is "Three-Peak" rated, it is not considered a winter use tire ... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=125

The best "All-Season" tire for light winter use is the Michelin Defender LTX ... given the tread has a significant amount of "siping" for improved traction on packed snow and ice. Beyond that, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta is probably the best winter tire available ... made in Finland where they live with snow for the majority of the year.

For me ... I run Michelin Defenders on the stock (pretty) wheels ... and have Nokian Studded tires mounted on steel wheels for the limited time we have snow here in the PNW. I lived in Fort Collins for many years ... so know the weather ... given the altitude, the roads dry out quickly after a snow event ... so unless you need to "plow your own path" ... the Michelin Defender LTX tires are probably the best for all-year use ... and they have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty ... and are quiet, and have top-rated dry and wet performance.

Last edited by ASE; 03-10-22 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mello03 (03-11-22)
Old 03-10-22, 08:41 AM
Mark2015
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
"All-Season" tires ... yet another "marketing speak" term that misrepresents. "All-Season" is a 3-Season Tire ... so unless the tire is "Three-Peak" rated, it is not considered a winter use tire ... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=125

The best "All-Season" tire for light winter use is the Michelin Defender LTX ... given the tread has a significant amount of "siping" for improved traction on packed snow and ice. Beyond that, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta is probably the best winter tire available ... made in Finland where they live with snow for the majority of the year.

For me ... I run Michelin Defenders on the stock (pretty) wheels ... and have Nokian Studded tires mounted on steel wheels for the limited time we have snow here in the PNW. I lived in Fort Collins for many years ... so know the weather ... given the altitude, the roads dry out quickly after a snow event ... so unless you need to "plow your own path" ... the Michelin Defender LTX tires are probably the best for all-year use ... and they have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty ... and are quiet, and have top-rated dry and wet performance.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback and info. I will look into the Defenders.
Mark
Old 03-10-22, 08:42 AM
Mark2015
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanG
New OEM tires will bite into slippery roads for a short time, maybe one season, but after a summer of driving they become poor for winter roads
Good to know.
If she experiences what I am next winter I'll have her get some new tires then.
Old 03-10-22, 09:26 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Good to know.
If she experiences what I am next winter I'll have her get some new tires then.
One accident is all it takes to where the vehicle will then never be the same ... and this assumes no one was injured or worse ... so considering the insurance deductible alone, purchasing quality tires is a no-brainer and well worth the forward investment.

Last edited by ASE; 03-10-22 at 09:36 AM.
IanB2 (03-12-22)
Old 03-11-22, 05:32 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed. Michelin Defender LTX M/S are hands down is the best AS tire made IMO. I have run everything, and the GX with these shoes will out perform almost anything on the road. They don’t look awesome….but they are damned good.
ballistice (03-11-22)
Old 03-11-22, 07:27 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mello03
Agreed. Michelin Defender LTX M/S are hands down is the best AS tire made IMO. I have run everything, and the GX with these shoes will out perform almost anything on the road. They don’t look awesome….but they are damned good.
Agree ... look like "Soccer Mom" tires but perform better than almost any knarley A/T tire off-road and are fantastic in light winter conditions.

Last edited by ASE; 03-11-22 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-17-22, 11:49 AM
Mark2015
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
Agree ... look like "Soccer Mom" tires but perform better than almost any knarley A/T tire off-road and are fantastic in light winter conditions.
Hey Fellas, question:

Does Goodyear happen to have an equivalent or very similar tire to the to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S? I'm not trying to cheap out but I have a 33.5% off coupon for Goodyears.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-22, 01:05 PM
fxrsjoe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blizzaks are awesome - real nice tire