GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 12:08 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion - it's ONE of the reasons that the tire has such great traction.

You can have your normal tires siped... they last longer, give you more traction, and handle better in just about all inclimate weather - rain, snow, etc.
Old 01-11-11, 05:29 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have replaced Michelin HP Tour the track came with Micheling LTX MS2. Today we had an ice storm and track on those tires handled very well. Great tire for bad weather and it is all season
Old 01-11-11, 06:35 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

So far the HPs have been working very well. I'm looking at a little storm tonight (12+ inches). I'll get some more time to put them through a combination of ice and leftover hardened and fresh snow. I'm looking for a reason to get the LTXMS2s but the HPs are pretty good tires and I think I can get two years out of them.

Koz
Old 01-12-11, 05:36 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
So far the HPs have been working very well. I'm looking at a little storm tonight (12+ inches). I'll get some more time to put them through a combination of ice and leftover hardened and fresh snow. I'm looking for a reason to get the LTXMS2s but the HPs are pretty good tires and I think I can get two years out of them.

Koz
HP were pretty good. The only reason I have replaced HP for LTX MS2 right away when I got my 2011 is that on my 2010 GX after 5000 miles the thread was down to 6/32. I doubt they would last more than 20k miles total. Replacing to LTX MS2 under Michelin warranty costed me only mounting cost. Tire rides a little harder, grip seems better, but it has 70k miles warranty so don't have to worry about premature wear issues.
Old 01-12-11, 12:16 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by Luke27617
HP were pretty good. The only reason I have replaced HP for LTX MS2 right away when I got my 2011 is that on my 2010 GX after 5000 miles the thread was down to 6/32. I doubt they would last more than 20k miles total. Replacing to LTX MS2 under Michelin warranty costed me only mounting cost. Tire rides a little harder, grip seems better, but it has 70k miles warranty so don't have to worry about premature wear issues.
That makes sense, but I've been spending a lot of money on the new truck and I'm going to take a little break, for now. The next tire will be the LTXMS2 for sure.

Koz
Old 01-12-11, 01:29 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
That makes sense, but I've been spending a lot of money on the new truck and I'm going to take a little break, for now. The next tire will be the LTXMS2 for sure.

Koz
Same here, I'm going to wear out my stock Michelin's and when they're worn, I will switch to the LTX MS2's...

I haven't had any problems in the snow and ice with the stock Michelin's.
Old 01-13-11, 08:08 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i was out playing in untouched parking lot snow today, about 6-8 inches deep.
Ya know what, doesnt matter if you have VSC, Traction control, anti lock brakes, whatever, i was able to make this thing spin very easily outta control driving like i was going thru cones. If you have zero traction, very little these systems can do. Of course, i would never drive like that in the street, but i would encourage people to test out their gx for themselves on ice and snow in an empty parking lot to get a feel for this. Id bet if the gx had none of these features though, it would of did a lot worse. I will put our infiniti g35x thru same scenario and see how it does. I was able to make the back end of that also spin out with snow mode few years back
Old 01-14-11, 06:39 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i was out playing in untouched parking lot snow today, about 6-8 inches deep.
Ya know what, doesnt matter if you have VSC, Traction control, anti lock brakes, whatever, i was able to make this thing spin very easily outta control driving like i was going thru cones. If you have zero traction, very little these systems can do. Of course, i would never drive like that in the street, but i would encourage people to test out their gx for themselves on ice and snow in an empty parking lot to get a feel for this. Id bet if the gx had none of these features though, it would of did a lot worse. I will put our infiniti g35x thru same scenario and see how it does. I was able to make the back end of that also spin out with snow mode few years back
These systems are designed to work under normal driving. If get the vehicle up to speed and then make a radical move, you're right, they will not help much. I have always taken the time to experiment with a new vehicle and make sure I now the limits of these systems and when these system engage. The most important test I did with this vehicle is when you are on a wet surface (not snow) and going into a curve/turn at normal speeds. Very similar to the CR test, but with a wet surface (of course in an empty parking lot). The point/speed at which the nannies will save you is VERY important to know (wet and dry)! When you can slide (drift) the vehicle in these scenarios, you will be ready when your in bad situation. Not to mention how much fun it is. Some kids never grow up!

Koz
Old 01-25-11, 07:08 PM
luvlexus16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
Could not wait till all the snow is down, gotta go to work in the morning. Anyway, the GX is amazing in the snow, it just bites in and is very smooth. I didn't slip anywhere and didn't have to lock the diff at all. I'd love to get it in some deep snow.
Koz, what do you think of the Claret Mica color? I like the look of the color but, I have only been able to see the color online. Do you have any other pictures of your GX! Thanks!
Old 01-26-11, 04:50 AM
Koz

I special ordered it without ever seeing one in person. I'm totally happy with the color. It has an amazing color difference depending on how the light hits it. I've had several friends tell me it is the nicest color Lexus makes (I'm not sure about that). It is unique for Lexus and I think it is the nicest color offered for the GX.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-gx460.jpg  
Old 01-26-11, 07:46 PM
T4Fun
Racer

drove the gx in 3 feet pile of snow today. my corolla got stuck, so i backed up, put it in L4, gently nudged bumpers, and barely pressed the accelerator. corolla got out no issue. love this suv
Old 01-27-11, 06:30 AM
Koz

Default GX in the Snow!

My last vehicle was a 4th gen V8 Limited 4Runner (with Silent Armor tires) and it was great in the snow. I didn’t think there could be a better vehicle in the snow until the GX460. Yesterday we got about three inches and nothing was done because of the small amount but the roads were the worst because it packed down and was extremely slippery. Everyone was sliding on any kind of incline. I mean, even 4WDs. I purposely used the steepest roads I know on the way to work and all I can say is the 460 is absolutely “AMAZING”. I watched vehicles sliding sideways/backwards and the GX just went up without even triggering the traction control. We just got another 19” of snow last night and I had to carve out the snow to open the door. For the hell of it, I didn’t shovel anything and just rolled right out of the spot. The 460 is the best snow vehicle I have ever driven and I’ve driven many 4WD vehicles.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-0127110632-00.jpg  
Old 01-27-11, 12:38 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Cool! Thanks for sharing. I drove mine in 12" of snow here last Thursday without any problems...
Old 01-27-11, 03:36 PM
T4Fun
Racer

on the flip side, my gx got stuck today in about 1 foot of snow. very strange. i didnt feel so bad when I saw the County Plow truck also got stuck a few times. Yesterday i drove it over a 3 foot pile of snow without issues. Go figure

I put it in 4LO and it still had problems. I finally got out.

My wifes 4wd infiniti g35x also got stuck. Several cars on the street with FWD too. Next year its wrangler duratracs on the gx.

Last edited by T4Fun; 01-27-11 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 06:12 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Default Stuck in the snow, please help!

This morning in the parking lot where I work I go in and didn't have a problem going in a foot of snow but when I tried to back up that's when the wheels started spinning. How do I set up the differential and the 4wd mechanism so I can get out after work today? I tried to lock the differential and put the GX in low 4, with no luck.

Quick Reply: Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires