GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 08:30 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't yet. I haven't been anywhere that chains were required on 4X4s. in Washington, 'Chains Required' on mountain passes exempt 4wd vehicles.

If you are going to chain up - go with cable chains and make sure you install them correctly. I would also chain none, or all 4.
Old 01-31-11, 08:59 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JsGX460
This sounds like someone is reading too many magazines.

1) Narrower is better? Not always.
2) A M&S is better than an A/T in snow? That's just plain wrong in many cases. There's tons of crappy M&S snow tires that won't hold against a 'decent' M&S tire. You must drive in cold/dry climate snow. Wet snow/slush - an A/T is actually a benefit.
3) winter tires like a Blizzak... as many people rave about them, there's plenty of folks who feel they are lackluster.

You haven't mentioned a snow tire with studs? that's a real deal setup over any of these options. But,they are noisy and cause more harm than good if you are pounding pavement with them.

I'm just balancing out some opinions. And of course, I speak for Pacific Northwest climates. Heck, let's just call it climates west of the Mississippi.
I can assure you I speak from experience and NEVER rely on RAG MAGS. In general A/T tires suck in bad weather (even rain), on pavement. There are only a couple decent A/T tires for pavement bad weather (they work better for off-roading in the snow). The only two that are half way decent are the Revo2 and Silent Armors. If you want an excellent off-road tire for the snow get the DuraTrac!

Yes there are some crappy M&S tires but there are several that are much better then ANY A/T tire, in the snow, on pavement.

There are two methods in getting through snow; on top with a low inflated wide tire (more for off-roading) and through the snow with a narrow/tall tire (on pavement). This is FACT, not opinion.

NOTHING compares to a dedicated snow and ice tire (except studs/chains/cables), on pavement in the snow. Folks feel lackluster about them probably because the suck on dry pavement (soft rubber compounds) and will wear out pretty quick on pavement.

Koz
Old 01-31-11, 01:15 PM
luvlexus16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I special ordered it without ever seeing one in person. I'm totally happy with the color. It has an amazing color difference depending on how the light hits it. I've had several friends tell me it is the nicest color Lexus makes (I'm not sure about that). It is unique for Lexus and I think it is the nicest color offered for the GX.
Koz
OK great i will take that into consideration! Thanks!
Old 01-31-11, 03:40 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Your vehicle is always in 4 wheel drive! You can lock the differential with the button that shows an X in the middle of four wheels. Don't SPIN your wheels as doing so literally destroys what little traction you have. If your wheels do spin, let up on the throttle.
Old 01-31-11, 04:46 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to see some pictures of the GX in snow. I live in Miami and will never see snow.
Old 02-01-11, 08:04 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by jaleels
I would love to see some pictures of the GX in snow. I live in Miami and will never see snow.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6020199-post5.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6098288-post1.html

Koz
Old 02-02-11, 07:53 AM
Koz

Today was the REAL test for my GX. I woke up to an ICE storm. We were supposed to get a couple feet of snow but turned out to be an inch or two frozen rain then it rained and everything was covered in a sheet of ice. I didn’t have time to take pics (and it’s still dark when I leave) but I haven’t seen this kind of ice in about 10+ years.

Anyway, the roads were also a sheet of ice and the cars that were on the road were all over the place. Some had pulled over and were just sitting there. Needless to say the only thing they could do was just crawl around at an idle (barely). The GX felt like it had some kind of special tires on it because the nannies only stepped in a couple times, mostly when stopping. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven in EXTREAM weather.

Koz
Old 02-02-11, 12:43 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

We didn't have much ice, we got ice first, then 20" of snow. No problem getting around. It wasn't much fun running my snow blower this morning...

We had some large drifts as well. Lots of blowing snow yesterday and last night.

It's going down to -10 tonight...
Old 11-23-11, 07:24 PM
fuenfer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snow Performance

How is the performance of the Michelins in snow? I'm debating whether to get a dedicated set of snows or just use the all-seasons. I'm near NYC, so we have (at least lately) been getting a decent amount of snow. Anyway, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the competence of these tires in the snow.
Old 11-24-11, 07:35 AM
Koz

Exceptional!

I pulled out of this spot without shoveling at all. The GX with Michelin's is like tank with tracks. I actually tried to get it stuck and it was VERY difficult. The vehicle would actually plow the snow. The GX is the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow and I actually love to go out in snow storms and push my vehicles to their limits. I think the weight (5300 lbs), drive train and electronic nannies all compliment each other perfectly.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-spot-exit.jpg   Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-img_5632a.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 11-24-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 07:45 AM
fuenfer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Exceptional!

I pulled out of this spot without shoveling at all. The GX with Michelin's is like tank with tracks. I actually tried to get it stuck and it was VERY difficult. The vehicle would actually plow the snow. The GX is the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow and I actually love to go out in snow storms and push my vehicles to their limits. I think the weight (5300 lbs), drive train and electronic nannies all compliment each other perfectly.

Koz
Thanks - I'm very happy to hear that. I'll pass on snow tires for now!
Old 11-24-11, 08:25 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there are several different michelins..

the stock michelins are rated poorly for snow/ice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=

i have these latitude tours on my gx and they WILL get stuck on ice as i found out (as will any tire) but are rated better than stock

these are rated the best but cost is more.

Old 11-25-11, 09:35 AM
Koz

Ice is hard for any tire. If you experience ice often you would need dedicated winter tires (and maybe studs,cables or chains. My next tire will be the LTX M/S 2. One of the best rated all season.

Koz
Old 11-25-11, 05:14 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Ice is hard for any tire. If you experience ice often you would need dedicated winter tires (and maybe studs,cables or chains. My next tire will be the LTX M/S 2. One of the best rated all season.

Koz
We had some bad snow storms here last winter. I never had a problem with the stock Michelin tires. I will also replace my Michelin's when they're worn out for the Michelin LTX M/S 2.
Old 11-25-11, 08:42 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a related subject, do you guys need to warm up the GX when you first start it on a winter morning? My garage is usually around 50F while the outside temperature can be very low. With my old RX I usually let it idle 2-3 minutes before driving off.

Quick Reply: Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires