GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fog lights with high beams.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19 | 04:25 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MarkVII
Not in my 35 years. PA inspection mechanics do noting more than follow a safety-mechanical check list that's PASS/FAIL; anything further is not in their perview. A prime example of that is window tint. The regs require 70% light transmission, since that requirement is not on an insepection mechanic's PASS/FAIL check-list any car with <70% walks right through. As far as LEOs, very, very, very few, including PSP know where to access the Vehicle Equipment and Inspection Regulations, let alone decipher them for enforcement becuase they are not part of the Vehicle Code (traffic enforcement.) Accident reconstructionists notwithstanding.

My understaning of FMVSS regs violations resulted in civil penalties. Would you please point me in the direction of the reg that allows registrations to be suspended?
In the PA regs, it states that the car will be rejected if the fog lights light up with the high beams (item (x) on page 53).

As far as the FMVSS is concerned, we all agree that a car (in the US) needs to meet all of the requirements of the FMVSS in order to be registered. Accordingly, if it doesn't meet the requirements then the registration is invalid. I didn't say suspended, I said "Any violation of the FMVSS is an offense that, technically, rescinds the registration of a vehicle in every state - but it is up to the state to enforce the FMVSS."

But again, y'all are focusing on the regulations rather than on the fact that using fogs and high beams is dangerous.
Old 12-08-19 | 07:21 PM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cb1111
IAccordingly, if it doesn't meet the requirements then the registration is invalid. I didn't say suspended, I said "Any violation of the FMVSS is an offense that, technically, rescinds the registration of a vehicle in every state - but it is up to the state to enforce the FMVSS."

But again, y'all are focusing on the regulations rather than on the fact that using fogs and high beams is dangerous.
I'm very much aware of the inspection regs regarding the high beams & fogs. In PA there's no such thing as: rescinds the registration of a vehicle, nowhere in the PA Vehicle Code does the word recind appear- suspened, revoke, cancel- yep those words are there. I'm focusing on the FMVSS regs because I'm curious and I also teach it, hence my interest in where I can find: "Any violation of the FMVSS is an offense that, technically, rescinds the registration of a vehicle."

The applicable statute, you'll note these specific words: adopted by regulation by the department (meaning the PA Dept of Trans.)

§ 4107. Unlawful activities.

(a) Violation of vehicle equipment standards.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, lease, install or replace, either separately or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, any item of vehicle equipment affecting the operation of the vehicle which does not comply with this title or regulations promulgated thereunder, or which does not comply with an applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standard adopted by regulation by the department.

(2) Operate, or cause or permit another person to operate, on any highway in this Commonwealth any vehicle or combination which is not equipped as required under this part or under department regulations or when the driver is in violation of department regulations or the vehicle or combination is otherwise in an unsafe condition or in violation of department regulations.
Old 12-08-19 | 07:53 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

I'm very much aware of the inspection regs regarding the high beams & fogs. In PA there's no such thing as: rescinds the registration of a vehicle, nowhere in the PA Vehicle Code does the word recind appear- suspened, revoke, cancel- yep those words are there. I'm focusing on the FMVSS regs because I'm curious and I also teach it, hence my interest in where I can find: "Any violation of the FMVSS is an offense that, technically, rescinds the registration of a vehicle."

The applicable statute, you'll note these specific words: adopted by regulation by the department (meaning the PA Dept of Trans.)

(a) Violation of vehicle equipment standards.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, lease, install or replace, either separately or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, any item of vehicle equipment affecting the operation of the vehicle which does not comply with this title or regulations promulgated thereunder, or which does not comply with an applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standard adopted by regulation by the department.

(2) Operate, or cause or permit another person to operate, on any highway in this Commonwealth any vehicle or combination which is not equipped as required under this part or under department regulations or when the driver is in violation of department regulations or the vehicle or combination is otherwise in an unsafe condition or in violation of department regulations.
I'm not familiar with the PA wording, but I'd say (semantics notwithstanding) that if a vehicle cannot be legally operated, then it cannot be properly registered. The DMV would be in violation if they allowed a non-conforming vehicle to be registered.

That aside, if you take the PA regulation literally, then I could drive a non-conforming vehicle on all sorts of roads - just not highways. The reg should correctly say "roadways"

I'll be happy to take this offline to keep from cluttering up this thread.
Old 12-08-19 | 08:32 PM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

That aside, if you take the PA regulation literally, then I could drive a non-conforming vehicle on all sorts of roads - just not highways. The reg should correctly say "roadways"

I'll be happy to take this offline to keep from cluttering up this thread.
That's where you'd need the definition, because, you know words have meanings:

“Highway.” — The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. The term includes a roadway open to the use of the public for vehicular travel on grounds of a college or university or public or private school or public or historical park..
Whereas
“Roadway.” — That portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk, berm or shoulder even though such sidewalk, berm or shoulder is used by pedalcycles. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term “roadway” refers to each roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively.

I'll hit you up with a PM about the rest.
Old 12-09-19 | 07:39 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

That's where you'd need the definition, because, you know words have meanings:
Quote:
“Highway.” — The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. The term includes a roadway open to the use of the public for vehicular travel on grounds of a college or university or public or private school or public or historical park..
Whereas
“Roadway.” — That portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk, berm or shoulder even though such sidewalk, berm or shoulder is used by pedalcycles. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term “roadway” refers to each roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively.

Gotta love PA ....

Pls check your PM tonight.
Old 12-09-19 | 10:02 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Gotta love PA .....
I would think the defs came from, gasp! NHTSA's model vehicle laws. I see the VA code reflects similar wording

"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth, including the streets and alleys, and, for law-enforcement purposes, (i) the entire width between the boundary lines of all private roads or private streets that have been specifically designated "highways" by an ordinance adopted by the governing body of the county, city, or town in which such private roads or streets are located and (ii) the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place used for purposes of vehicular travel on any property owned, leased, or controlled by the United States government and located in the Commonwealth.
Old 12-09-19 | 02:54 PM
John00
Racer

why does this forum turn into a legality discussion? I don't remember anyone asking about FMVSS. Such a waste of time. FMVSS by itself does not apply to us, read it.