GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Door Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 01:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Thanks! Yeah.. gaps are slight.... gonna take your advice and just keep an eye on it. If it looks like it is going to deteriorate further will pursue action to fix.
Old 05-08-17, 02:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Actually found on some of the gap it was caused by a loose clip. I could feel it pop when I pressed in and then hold the panel. Of course it could pop out again at some point but progress for now.
Old 05-10-17, 07:20 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Body side moldings- non OEM

Trying to find a parking space these days without being surrounded by careless owners that just swing open their doors and leave dings and scratches is becoming a losing battle. I am now considering adding body side moldings to my 2011 base. I have researched the OEM route and it just seems too expensive, which brings me to non OEM options. There are a few companies and websites offering very nice alternatives for appx. $150 delivered and painted to match your truck. Is there anyone that have tried them or have any opinions either way? I have my eye on one particular set that resembles the OEM the best in that it paints it to match and has a small chrome insert. Any ideas, opinions or recommendations are appreciated.
Old 05-10-17, 11:39 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 870 Likes on 603 Posts

I tried the Dawn lower chrome strip and thought the door looked too naked so I bought the Dawn painted molding to compare. I finally broke down and bought OEM. I think the OEM are too low to actually protect from door dings.

No I don't run around with OEM and the after market on Stuck the after market on to show the difference.

Comparison to OEM
Comparison to OEM
Comparison To OEM
Old 05-10-17, 06:22 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I actually like the aftermarket ones I showed in the first post but maybe installed higher near midway up to actually protect from dings.
Old 05-10-17, 06:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I recommend that you partially install it first. Cut a few pieces of the tape backing to temporarily install it. See if you like the position before you permanently install it. Do this and drive for a few days to determine where you want to permanently install it.
Please post some pics of the final outcome.
Old 05-11-17, 10:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm big on body side moldings, I would prefer if the manufacturers incorporated it into all of their vehicles. I understand it looks a little sleeker without, but it just doesn't work in the real world (and I'm **** about where I park)

The last car I had without a moulding was covered in door dings in only a few days.

Nothing makes a car look neglected and "cheap" than when it's covered in door dings.
Old 05-11-17, 04:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Ironically.. I notice someone left me a small gift on my running board the other day. It wasn't there when I bought it so it happened between washings. Not a big deal as off-road would probably create the same small divot but some people are really inconsiderate. I'm even careful parked around the biggest POS's. I do try to look for large parking spaces with only one exposure side though and have a special spot at work that any damage would be outright deliberate. This latter spot used to have a motorcycle spot but line long since disappeared so it is basically a 1.6 vehicle spot.
Old 05-11-17, 08:54 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Not sure if those from Prada 150 are exact fit. You can get some shipped from china for some good price from eBay.
Old 05-13-17, 07:02 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Not sure if those from Prada 150 are exact fit. You can get some shipped from china for some good price from eBay.
It's not Prada, it's Prado. Prada is a fashion company.
Old 05-13-17, 09:20 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
It's not Prada, it's Prado. Prada is a fashion company.
LOL...but I wouldn't mind having a Prada moulding though....truely bling it out.
Old 05-15-17, 05:16 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
LOL...but I wouldn't mind having a Prada moulding though....truely bling it out.
i actually found a company that was eliminating its painted to match moldings intended for the Lexus HS. It matches my tungsten pearl and is only 1.25" wide. They normally go for $140 but I got them delivered for $35. I have not received them yet and don't even have the dimensions but as long as it's basically centered on the door it will serve its purpose and because it's only 1.25" it should blend better. Thoughts?
Old 06-10-17, 05:21 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
i actually found a company that was eliminating its painted to match moldings intended for the Lexus HS. It matches my tungsten pearl and is only 1.25" wide. They normally go for $140 but I got them delivered for $35. I have not received them yet and don't even have the dimensions but as long as it's basically centered on the door it will serve its purpose and because it's only 1.25" it should blend better. Thoughts?
Installed with pics?
Old 07-06-18, 06:24 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by tecman
Installed with pics?
they are still sitting in my basement, I don’t seem to have the guts to stick them on. They are actually really nice and the tungsten pearl matches perfectly. My issue I think is that if I place them in the location the OEM sit than I’m not protecting from dings anyway. If I move them up toward the middle of the door I feel like the sculptured lines of the door and flares get compromised. If I install I promise to post pics.
Old 07-06-18, 03:21 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470

they are still sitting in my basement, I don’t seem to have the guts to stick them on. They are actually really nice and the tungsten pearl matches perfectly. My issue I think is that if I place them in the location the OEM sit than I’m not protecting from dings anyway. If I move them up toward the middle of the door I feel like the sculptured lines of the door and flares get compromised. If I install I promise to post pics.
As I suggested earlier here, do a temporary install. See if you like the look and position. Post some pics and we can give a or for what it is worth .

Quick Reply: Door Moldings