GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking at a 2011 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 12:39 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Couldn't be happier with the black interior!

Koz
Old 07-07-11, 06:55 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
You premium guys are killing me. Now I need the premium just because of the difference in looks. I thought it was the side moldings that made the difference to me but maybe it was the moldings and the fact that the back didn't looked "jacked up" that made the difference.

T4, the color combo you have is the exact one I am looking for but with rear entertainment. Hopefully in the next few months I'll have one too.

starfire pearl premium with sepia interior was very difficult to find and our dealer pulled strings to get it for me. at that time there were only 2-3 on the east coast with that combo. i imagine it may be more difficult now. sepia is the happy medium between ecru and black

imho, i wouldnt opt for the rear entertainment, not worth the 3K+. just get a portable blu-ray player or u could install yourself. these rear seat entertainment systems are quickly made obselete, as you can see with the current gx not being blu ray compatible
Old 07-08-11, 05:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

Right now there is only one on the east coast with exactly what I want (color combo and options) with the exception of the premium package since they are tough to come by right now. It seems easier to get a starfire pearl with ecru interior. Adding an aftermarket entertainment system is what the dealers have recommended but I'm not sure if I trust their work. I may have to consider a stereo shop that specializes in installing these and see how much it costs.
Old 07-08-11, 11:52 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Our GX 460 is our tenth Lexus and the first nine were "white/light" i.e., various versions of white exterior with their lightest interior, recently called ecru. When we decided to buy the GX 460 in January 2010 all our dealer had available was starfire pearl with sepia.

My wife heard 'sepia' but thought 'brown' and was concerned, but now that we have owned it for a year and a half we both love sepia. There's no concern about dye transfer from jeans, the color has remained a rich milk chocolate/mocha, dirt on the leather is not a problem and the the only issue was a slight color mismatch of the carpets, panels and mats. Presumably, after a year and a half of production Lexus has got the colors right and even that small problem will be solved.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-09-11, 12:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

I didn't even know about the sepia interior until I happened to see it on the Lexus website and my wife was instantly sold when I told her about it since she loved it on an Infiniti M37 I considered buying six months ago. I took my GX470 to the dealer today to get it appraised and it came in at what I was guessing it would and what I wanted, $35k. They are getting the 2011 Starfire/Sepia GX460 in a couple of weeks for me to look at even though I said I wanted to wait until the new 2012's come out so I could get a premium model. However, if he gives me a good deal I may take it since the only thing it doesn't have over the premium is the suspension and I will make them throw in the side moldings if they want me to buy it.
Old 07-09-11, 06:59 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think also the premium has the heated steering wheel and you can't get that on the base. Do not get ecru. My seats are blue. I think also the premium has some lighting on the floor boards that the base does not have and yes, the chrome on the window of the premium goes up farther than on the base. The headlights are different but I don't think you can actually see the difference from the outside. You can always tell a base with the paneling vs. a premium by looking at the chrome on the windows. I'm told I'm the first in Dallas that added the paneling to the base. Now you see them everywhere.
Old 07-09-11, 08:12 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have any pics of the Sepia with the starfire pearl? I was looking at getting an ecru, but it sounds like its thumbs down from everyone.

Last edited by frank69m; 07-09-11 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 07:05 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

The eBrochure for the 2010 GX460 has pictures of the sepia interior on pages 9, 15 and 41.

http://ebrochures.lexus.com/publicat...9#/1e148029/58

In early 2010 we had a discussion about the sepia interior and several of us took pictures, which should be available at this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post5399417

You will notice the slight mismatch of color between the rear cargo mat and the interior panels, which is accentuated in my photographs.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-11-11, 06:22 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Does anyone have any pics of the Sepia with the starfire pearl? I was looking at getting an ecru, but it sounds like its thumbs down from everyone.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-call-12.html
Old 07-11-11, 07:56 AM
Koz

The Premium also has rear AC!

Koz
Old 07-11-11, 08:30 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
The Premium also has rear AC!

Koz
... as does our base version 2010 GX 460. You can see the air intake in the right rear corner here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5403802-post12.html

Note that there are two versions of the rear cargo area mat for models with or without rear A/C. Our base unit with rear A/C was delivered with the mat for a unit without rear A/C. The mat was several inches wider to fill the rear corner where the rear A/C would be, but on our vehicle with rear A/C that extra material blocked the air intake. Our dealer traded mats at no cost.

There are absolute differences between the base and the premium, notably the rear air suspension and shocks ... there may be more. It seems that those absolute differences have to do with what got installed on the frame early in the production process, i.e., suspension components. However, the body, which is assembled on a different production line and then 'married' to the frame late in the process can be configured to include whatever is on the option check list ... other than those few absolute differences between base and premium.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-11-11, 11:59 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by SaniDel
... as does our base version 2010 GX 460. You can see the air intake in the right rear corner here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5403802-post12.html

Note that there are two versions of the rear cargo area mat for models with or without rear A/C. Our base unit with rear A/C was delivered with the mat for a unit without rear A/C. The mat was several inches wider to fill the rear corner where the rear A/C would be, but on our vehicle with rear A/C that extra material blocked the air intake. Our dealer traded mats at no cost.

Regards,

SaniDel
If I'm not mistaken the Premium has an independent AC system where the vents are located in the headliner for second and third row seats.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-11-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 12:41 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
If I'm not mistaken the Premium has an independent AC system where the vents are located in the headliner for second and third row seats.

Koz
... as does our base 2010 GX460 ... see the appended photograph taken through the rear pop-up window.

I can also provide pictures of the Rear A/C controls on the navigation screen and the Rear A/C controls on the back of the center console for the convenience of the rear seat passengers. The Rear A/C system is independent of the front system, it can be turned off and on separately and the temperature set point can be changed from either the climate screen or by the rear seat passengers. About all that is lacking are separate left and right temperature zones for rear seat passengers, but does any manufacturer offer that?
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 2011 GX460-rear-a-c-vents.jpg  

Last edited by SaniDel; 07-11-11 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Grammar Counts ... as does Spelling!