GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Crossbars

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-23, 02:21 PM
virtualpj
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Very old post... but was thankful the search tool found it. Taking the wife's new GX for a trip next week and I have the factory crossbars installed thinking I'm good to go with the cargo box. Tonight after reading this I got my son to help me put the Thule XT XL up on top. With the claws around the cross bars there is maybe 1/8" clearance. Pushing down inside the box w/o much force was causing the claws to tap on the roof. Etrailer... delivering the Inno system in 2 days. Not sure why I thought I'd search to see if any hits came up with "gx460 Thule XT XL factory bars". This was a big hit! Would have irritated the hell out of me hearing the box hit the roof on our trip.
For what it's worth, if you spread the crossbars out far enough and load the Thule evenly and you won't have any contact problems. I ran it that way a number of times before moving to a full roof rack.
Old 11-13-23, 02:24 PM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Very old post... but was thankful the search tool found it. Taking the wife's new GX for a trip next week and I have the factory crossbars installed thinking I'm good to go with the cargo box. Tonight after reading this I got my son to help me put the Thule XT XL up on top. With the claws around the cross bars there is maybe 1/8" clearance. Pushing down inside the box w/o much force was causing the claws to tap on the roof. Etrailer... delivering the Inno system in 2 days. Not sure why I thought I'd search to see if any hits came up with "gx460 Thule XT XL factory bars". This was a big hit! Would have irritated the hell out of me hearing the box hit the roof on our trip.
I went in the INNO cross bars to replace the factory ones. A good bit higher off the roof than the factory ones, and that is OK for me. Mounted the thule roof box no problem. Very good solution.
The following users liked this post:
bowhun2r (11-13-23)
Old 11-20-23, 02:50 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts

Wanted to post some pics for anyone searching for "Thule XT XL INNO GX460".

Took a bit longer for assembly (maybe 1.5-2 hours) to get the feet, posts and bars situated. Put the Thule up on top in preparation for an upcoming trip. Compared to the OEM bars that I had on... there is much more clearance beneath the Thule claws and the roof. As I mentioned in my earlier post I had maybe 1/8" - 3/16" clearance from bottom of claws to roof and when I put a little weight inside the Thule above the bars I could tap the roof with the claws. Also, shark fin does not come into play with the INNO bars.

Plenty of room from bottom of bars to roof.

Saw a similar pic on eTrailer where I purchased the rack that helped me orient myself on assembly. Yes... some small scratches but they are on the inside of the rails and are not visible (at least not easily!).

Nice built in storage for the Allen key to tighten down the posts. There is a cover with a lock for all four posts that is not shown here.

If you don't want to take the feet off they give you these caps to cover them. I plan on taking the feet off after the trip, but it's nice if you plan to keep them on. These are the more time consuming pieces to re-attach so it's nice to just cover them up w/o having them exposed.

You can see the locking caps covering the outside of the posts in this pic. Comes out very clean looking (and functional).

The following users liked this post:
tntcandy (11-20-23)