GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 04:51 PM
NJSTSX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions

I have two leased cars that the leases are about to expire in about a month. Our 2010 RX350 and 2009 VW CC will both expire and I am thinking about just getting one car to replace both. I have narrowed it down to 3 options. The GX460, LR4, and Yukon. I live in Key West and dont need an off road type suv here but often travel to a family hunting camp up north and go off road there which is why Im considering the GX rather than another RX.

Lexus GX460
Pros: Lexus reliabiltiy, off road prowess, better mpg than other options.
Cons: Lower hp than others, not loving the front end styling or rear cargo door.

Land Rover LR4
Pros: Styling, fold flat cargo area with low load floor, off road prowess.
Cons: Horrible mpg, reliabilty issues.

GMC Yukon
Pros: There is a dealership where I live (no Lexus or LR dealership for 150 miles), more space inside.
Cons: Doesnt have the same "status" as others, cheap interior quality.

Has anyone had experiences with these 3 vehicles and if so what are your opinions? I know that most will say the GX but I am interested in your opinions on the others.

Thanks
Old 12-18-11, 05:07 AM
mrpitbull
Rookie

I've owned a 07 Ranger Rover supercharged which was awesome and fun to drive but a nightmare with reliability issues and Land Rover dealerships are so small that when I had an issue, it was never an in and out thing. My RR was in the shop for on average 2 weeks at a time. Unless it was just an oil change and that's $140 a pop at least at the LR dealership in Shreveport, LA. So got rid of the RR and got a 2010 GX460 right before I deployed. I've owned almost every model of Lexus and I'm very pleased with them. My teenage son is driving our first an ES300 with 180k miles and still going strong. No issues at all.

Now for the GX 460, it is very nice clean and updated interior. However it's not a RR meaning it's not a head turner like the RR is. I would get all kind of compliments when driving it and I would say only if you knew. So if you want prestige or star power, the GX isn't it. but it's nice make no mistake. Gas mileage isn't bad at all. But it really doesn't have good pickup and not all that fun to drive. But you will hear people say that you don't buy an SUV for that. I would disagree you buy a vehicle for whatever you want. You just have to find the right one.
I really can't tell you much about the Yukon because I've never owned one. I can tell you that you'll never ever get the service at a GMC Dealer like you would at a Lexus Dealership.

To be honest I'm considering a BMW X5 50i. From what I've been reading it's the best of both worlds. Fun to drive and does have some practicality. But no where near the off road capabilities of the GX.
I know I mostly rambled on but I hope it helped a little. I know how it can be when your faced with tough decisions. I hoping to get some good suggestions myself from the board.
Old 12-18-11, 07:08 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The GX 460 will never win a beauty contest, but so far, mine has been reliable. I had previously owned an X5, and enjoyed the looks and handling, but it was in the shop for some mechanical/electrical failure at least once every six months. Since I used the X5, and now GX, as a daily driver the decision was easy.
Old 12-18-11, 08:44 AM
mrpitbull
Rookie

so how would you compare the 2012 Lexus GX460 vs 2012 BMW X5 50i. I agree with on reliability of the GX hands down. having owned 5 Lexus and 2 currently these cars are rock solid.
Old 12-18-11, 11:53 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpitbull
I've owned a 07 Ranger Rover supercharged which was awesome and fun to drive but a nightmare with reliability issues and Land Rover dealerships are so small that when I had an issue, it was never an in and out thing. My RR was in the shop for on average 2 weeks at a time. Unless it was just an oil change and that's $140 a pop at least at the LR dealership in Shreveport, LA. So got rid of the RR and got a 2010 GX460 right before I deployed. I've owned almost every model of Lexus and I'm very pleased with them. My teenage son is driving our first an ES300 with 180k miles and still going strong. No issues at all.

Now for the GX 460, it is very nice clean and updated interior. However it's not a RR meaning it's not a head turner like the RR is. I would get all kind of compliments when driving it and I would say only if you knew. So if you want prestige or star power, the GX isn't it. but it's nice make no mistake. Gas mileage isn't bad at all. But it really doesn't have good pickup and not all that fun to drive. But you will hear people say that you don't buy an SUV for that. I would disagree you buy a vehicle for whatever you want. You just have to find the right one.
I really can't tell you much about the Yukon because I've never owned one. I can tell you that you'll never ever get the service at a GMC Dealer like you would at a Lexus Dealership.

To be honest I'm considering a BMW X5 50i. From what I've been reading it's the best of both worlds. Fun to drive and does have some practicality. But no where near the off road capabilities of the GX.
I know I mostly rambled on but I hope it helped a little. I know how it can be when your faced with tough decisions. I hoping to get some good suggestions myself from the board.

I traded my BMW X5 twin turbo diesel in for the GX 460. My X5 had reliability and durability issues. It was in the shop over ten times in one year and I was over at the dealer with problems 30-40 times in one year. The battery wouldn't stay charged, electrical problems, check engine lights. Not a reliable option in my opinion. It was also terrible in the snow and ice.
Old 12-18-11, 11:07 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My neighbor had a X5 4.6 numerous years ago, and her car wouldn't start, after getting it brand-new from the dealer, after one week!
Old 12-19-11, 03:32 AM
mrpitbull
Rookie

I know this is a Lexus forum and there isn't a bigger fan than me but lets leave the past in the past. The originator of this post is talking about a new vehicle. So I'd say if your not talking about a 2012 vs another 2012. I have a GX 460 I've owned 2 LX470s. All are very very smooth riding vehicles and I get treated like a King when I go in for service. I'm not an off-road guy but I'm a SUV guy. Looking for balance you've got to consider all SUVs. I'd hope someone would give me advice on here non bias because they own a Lexus. This guy is spending good hard earned money.
Old 12-19-11, 05:06 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you do not keep the vehicle past the warranty and you don't mind trips to the Stealer, it doesn't really matter which vehicle you get. Get whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy!

Koz
Old 12-19-11, 06:59 AM
NJSTSX
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I think we are definitely leaning towards the GX. I know all too well about BMW issues after owning a 2007 BMW X3 that was bought as a certified pre owned car and was in the shop 12 times in 6 months and BMW ended up buying the car back. Have had issues with most German cars and have never had an issue with any of the Japanese cars I've owned including Lexus, Acura, and Mazda. I think the GX would be the best and most problem free decision. Look forward to joining the GX family.
Old 12-19-11, 08:47 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSTSX
Thanks for the replies. I think we are definitely leaning towards the GX. I know all too well about BMW issues after owning a 2007 BMW X3 that was bought as a certified pre owned car and was in the shop 12 times in 6 months and BMW ended up buying the car back. Have had issues with most German cars and have never had an issue with any of the Japanese cars I've owned including Lexus, Acura, and Mazda. I think the GX would be the best and most problem free decision. Look forward to joining the GX family.
I'm looking for another SUV as well and the GX is on the list. Please let us know your final decision and WHY.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-11, 05:45 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations on your plan to consolidate your 'fleet' to one vehicle, which is the most reasonable and effective way of reducing the cost and environmental impact of driving. Those of us who went from three to two or from two to one can afford to buy classier vehicles more frequently ... rather than keeping clunkers! ;-)

I think Lexus' reliability obviates your concern about living 150 miles from the nearest dealer, but are there any dealerships in the Keys for the vehicles you are considering? Besides, you have to "drive past" the dealership whenever you leave home to go North, right?

I agree that the GX loses the "glamor contest" to the LR4, but you won't find a more nimble large SUV for navigating the narrow streets of 'Margaritaville'. We rented a Chevrolet Traverse for our recent three-week vacation and it couldn't get out of its own way ... our GX can turn and park circles around GM's SUVs.

The GX "barn door" has grown on me and it may work for you, especially if you are tall with long arms. The pop-up rear window is large enough to pull a case of wine through the opening, but you will need long arms, good upper body strength ... and reliable rotator cuffs! We back our GX into the garage so almost all our loads come through the window. For the occasional full load that reaches to the second row seat backs we park in the driveway until we are unloaded, then continue backing into the garage.

A consideration specific for Key West is humidity and corrosion resistance. An extreme climate reveals which manufacturer does the best of sealing the seams, painting the frame and protecting the paint. I can't claim that Lexus is best ... how could we know, but I bet they are.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Whichever vehicle you buy, opt for rear air conditioning. It is an option on the base GX and included on the premium.

Last edited by SaniDel; 12-20-11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-24-11, 04:35 PM
NJSTSX
Rookie

I want to thank everyone for the input. After weighing all the options and considering all factors we have decided on buying a GMC Yukon Denali. The dealership is local and offers free oil changes for the life of the car plus we got a great deal and 0% financing for 72 months. I am sad to be leaving the Lexus family but I am sure I will return soon. The car is a lot bigger than the RX350 and will have to take some getting use to. Its a little strange that GX's have been popping up around Key West like crazy lately. I only knew of one in town before considering it and now I have seen 5 differnt ones in the past 3 days. I hope that isn't a sign that I should have bought the GX

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 12-24-11, 05:01 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSTSX
I want to thank everyone for the input. After weighing all the options and considering all factors we have decided on buying a GMC Yukon Denali. The dealership is local and offers free oil changes for the life of the car plus we got a great deal and 0% financing for 72 months. I am sad to be leaving the Lexus family but I am sure I will return soon. The car is a lot bigger than the RX350 and will have to take some getting use to. Its a little strange that GX's have been popping up around Key West like crazy lately. I only knew of one in town before considering it and now I have seen 5 differnt ones in the past 3 days. I hope that isn't a sign that I should have bought the GX
Did you consolidate from two to one vehicle or did you keep either (or both)? It sounds like you traded the Lexus RX at least. A GMC Yukon Denali is a lot bigger than the RX, but certainly seems suitable for your road trips. Is it also suitable for daily driving around Key West?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 12-25-11, 10:38 AM
NJSTSX
Rookie

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Did you consolidate from two to one vehicle or did you keep either (or both)? It sounds like you traded the Lexus RX at least. A GMC Yukon Denali is a lot bigger than the RX, but certainly seems suitable for your road trips. Is it also suitable for daily driving around Key West?
Regards,

SaniDel
Yes we consolidated down to one but we still have an Audi S5. The Yukon is big but now that I'm getting use to the size it is pretty maneuverable around town.