GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Water Leaks - Interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-23, 02:50 PM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Sunroof drain clogged? Any water down the A pillar? There's a bunch of spaghetti and modules behind the dash panel below the vent near the a pillar.
Actually, no. I followed the directions I found on a thread here to clean it out a couple months ago and don't park anywhere it would get clogged that fast. Also, anyone reading this, go ahead and clean out your it's sunroof drains. It'll only take you about 15 minutes.
The following 2 users liked this post by brythonic:
dgfreeman (05-01-23), MrTorgue (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 02:57 PM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
Seems to me the water got into the door panel….. and possible the driver and passenger side foot wall areas, where lights control ECUs are located. The power door control units are located in front door panel. Also if your power mirror controller malfunction, that include the auto dimmer and heating, the mirror control units are also located inside door panel.
I don't remember seeing anything like that in the door panels. I just replaced all the speakers and soundproofed the doors. If I take the doors apart again, what is it I'm looking for and where is it? I will try anything at this point that keeps me from driving it in to the repair shop.

Action shot of the sound proofing.
Old 04-20-23, 03:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Have you had a recent windshield replacement?

Water intrusion at the base of the A-Pillars - parallel to the dash would be where I would be looking

The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 07:27 PM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
Have you had a recent windshield replacement?

Water intrusion at the base of the A-Pillars - parallel to the dash would be where I would be looking
No, I have the original Lexus windshield.
Old 04-21-23, 05:41 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

BCM that controls a lot of that is at the base of the driver side A pillar. You may want to look up there and see if you see any water stains that didn't make it to the floor and just settled on ECU connectors.

Run a full scan with Techstream or something like OBD Link/Fusion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...stic-tool.html

A $20 OBD hand scanner won't have the capabilities.

How is your sunroof seal? I've seen some weathered ones that allowed more water in than the drains could handle as well.
Old 04-21-23, 11:14 AM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

BCM that controls a lot of that is at the base of the driver side A pillar. You may want to look up there and see if you see any water stains that didn't make it to the floor and just settled on ECU connectors.

Run a full scan with Techstream or something like OBD Link/Fusion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...stic-tool.html

A $20 OBD hand scanner won't have the capabilities.

How is your sunroof seal? I've seen some weathered ones that allowed more water in than the drains could handle as well.
Thank you. After some googling, I think this may be my problem, but the scanner won't get here for days. Also, I can't seem to find where the body control module is. The pictures I found online are so vague that they only made me more confused. Where on the base of the driver side A-pillar is it? Do you know of a writeup somewhere?
Old 04-21-23, 11:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I don't believe I had to remove anything to see it when I took picture on another project up under driver dash

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10455228

It should say MPX body on it

Old 04-21-23, 01:03 PM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

I don't believe I had to remove anything to see it when I took picture on another project up under driver dash

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10455228

It should say MPX body on it
That is super helpful! Is there any other way to check it other than the OBDLINK MX+ with Techstream?
Old 04-21-23, 05:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

There are some alternate methods to pull codes but not aware of something BCM specific.

The software that comes with the OBDLink adapter will be able to read the codes. You won’t need Techstream.
Old 04-23-23, 09:44 AM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

There are some alternate methods to pull codes but not aware of something BCM specific.

The software that comes with the OBDLink adapter will be able to read the codes. You won’t need Techstream.
I'm seeing quite a few body control modules used for sale and I'm looking at the junkyard near me on Monday, do I need to reprogram this in any way or is it plug and play?
Old 04-23-23, 10:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I’m not sure if that is a plug and play swap ECU. I’d match the numbers if you could but I would wait until you get a full vehicle scan before purchasing any ECUs. There could be other ECUs or issues at hand.
Old 04-24-23, 05:09 PM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

I’m not sure if that is a plug and play swap ECU. I’d match the numbers if you could but I would wait until you get a full vehicle scan before purchasing any ECUs. There could be other ECUs or issues at hand.
Sorry, me again. I'm having a really hard time trying to find the find the body control unit. I see the image above, I'm just not able to find that under the dash. Where is this in relation to the small fuse box? Is it above it, do I need to remove more panels? I'm honestly just not seeing this thing. Thank you again
Old 04-24-23, 08:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Maybe this will help

Old 04-25-23, 05:38 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by brythonic
Sorry, me again. I'm having a really hard time trying to find the find the body control unit. I see the image above, I'm just not able to find that under the dash. Where is this in relation to the small fuse box? Is it above it, do I need to remove more panels? I'm honestly just not seeing this thing. Thank you again
Just a word of advice, without knowing all the facts or specific DTC codes, by replacing body ECU, may introducing more problems than solve them. There are many settings that stored within ECU are related with other control units and may need to be recalibrated. So the best approach would be as suggested to get the scanner or using Techstream to get all the codes before blindly replacing ECUs.
Old 04-26-23, 03:03 PM
brythonic
Driver School Candidate

I was able to verify the part number by sticking my phone way inside the dash and taking the picture below, but I have absolutely no idea how to get to this thing. Do I have to take the entire dash off? Is there a way to pull it out from below?

Quick Reply: Water Leaks - Interior