GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Water Leaks - Interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 02:37 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

If the rain water that gets into the area around your sunroof can't drain properly through the drain tubes (there are usually 4 tubes that start from each corner of the sunroof cutout, and down A pillar and B pillar to an outlet), then that water will back up and find somewhere else to go. Often this can be into the headliner area around the sunroof, and/or down the A pillar and into the kick panels where many electrical parts live. So yea - it's a plausible issue, although unusual with a newer vehicle unless you are often parking under a tree in the woods.
Old 09-12-17, 06:37 PM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. We do park it outside, and had the remnants of Hurricane Irma come through last night...
Old 09-12-17, 07:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 853 Likes on 590 Posts

I do park in my garage in north Atlanta. Some of the debris here look like they went through a blender.
Old 09-12-17, 08:18 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Like Jacket said.... possible... but that sure sounds like the symptoms of air pump issue
Sounds bogus since the truck went into limp mode it's the air pump issue, I had the same problem last week. Since your in the area of Irma try contacting your insurance agent and see what they have to say.
Old 09-14-17, 06:45 AM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

Let me throw in another factor...

A week before this incident, the dealer FINALLY replaced the passenger-side front airbag, yeah, the Takata that we had been warned about 18 months before. And told not to have anyone in that seat until repaired.
Not a week later, this happens, and the rains weren't that much worse than we've seen in the 17 years I've been parking Lexuses in the same spot. Anyone suspicious?
Old 09-14-17, 05:20 PM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

Update...had a long chat with the service manager. The sunroof-drain-water-short thing seems to be legit. He dismissed the probable coincidence of this happening right after the airbag replacement by saying, "we always get blamed for stuff that happens after the car has been in the shop." Not terribly good customer relations.

$900 later, I have a fully-functioning vehicle. But I have a really bitter taste in my mouth over all this. Next car will be either an Audi or a Tesla...
Old 09-14-17, 06:01 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by nucleon
Update...had a long chat with the service manager. The sunroof-drain-water-short thing seems to be legit. He dismissed the probable coincidence of this happening right after the airbag replacement by saying, "we always get blamed for stuff that happens after the car has been in the shop." Not terribly good customer relations.

$900 later, I have a fully-functioning vehicle. But I have a really bitter taste in my mouth over all this. Next car will be either an Audi or a Tesla...
Did they say which side sunroof drain got plugged? I'd like to look at wiring diagrams to see if this is possible. I still have my doubts their findings are legit.
Old 09-14-17, 06:14 PM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

I believe it was the right/passenger side. I think...
Old 09-14-17, 06:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 853 Likes on 590 Posts

Hmm, this is the opposite side of vulnerable electrical components. Water damage can be tricky though.
Old 03-01-18, 04:25 PM
CoupleMore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture and water in back under 3rd row.

Just picked up a one owner 2012 GX. It's from Texas and now it's in Portland, Oregon. So it' seen a lot of rain in the last month. We've been driving it for a couple of weeks and I don't recall any smells on my test drive, but now I'm starting to notice it. There were no reported wrecks on the CarFax and I had a pre-purchase inspection done, and it looked great.

I've had issues with sunroof drains in other cars, but that was always in the front. Looks like from the parts list that there are 4 drains on this sunroof.

Anyone know what it might be? Am I on the right track?
Old 03-01-18, 04:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Rear door gasket look like it is in good condition?

Does it seem wetter on one side more than the other?

Might even be a clogged drain for the rear AC unit on the right rear side.

Last edited by Acrad; 03-01-18 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CoupleMore (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 05:04 PM
CoupleMore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Rear door gasket look like it is in good condition?

Does it seem wetter on one side more than the other?

Might even be a clogged drain for the rear AC unit on the right rear side.
Oh ok. Yeah the seals look good. I didn't realize that there's actually an AC drain back there. It IS more on the right. I could feel it in the carpet on the right, but not the left. But under the seat cavity, it's damp on both sides. Know where that drain comes out underneath? I've found that they tend to get plugged right at the outside from road grime working into the little outlet.

I need to get it in the dry and check it out this weekend.
Thanks!
Old 03-01-18, 05:05 PM
CoupleMore
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I see the diagram now. It wasn't there when I replied. Cool!
Old 03-01-18, 05:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Unfortunately... not sure exactly sure where it comes out but you can kind see general area where it should be in diagrams.
Old 06-21-18, 08:19 AM
MSmac
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 gx460

When it rains heavily, and only heavily, water leaks into the vehicle from the 3rd row seatbelt area. It won’t do it at any car wash or light rain. Anyone know how to fix this? Thank you for your help.
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Water Leaks - Interior