GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Water Leaks - Interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 12:40 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Both the keys are showing the same issue or only one?

The sunroof issue might be from clogged drain lines. On other vehicles, people use an Air compressor to blow out the clogged drains.
Old 10-24-19, 02:45 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

does the remote light still shine when you press the button?

as for the roof leak, I have the same issue when I go to the car wash that pressure washes the top.
I dont get any water when its just rain, even in downpours.
ive heard of issues with clogged tubes also
Old 12-11-19, 10:00 AM
Mbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 GX460 Water Damage

Has anyone had any issues with their tubes in their sunroof getting blocked? How are you supposed to know it until it’s to late? That the water from the tubes got blocked and came out gushing at my leg while driving. This seems to be a malfunction in the design... all of the water fried my wires and I have to replace the entire think $9k since my car is out of warranty! People claim if you park outside this could happen. There is no where in the manual to get them flushed out occasionally. All vehicles are supposed to be water tight let alone a luxury brand.
Old 12-11-19, 10:37 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Wow. I've heard of clog drain plug but haven't heard of anyone frying the fuse block and circuits. I don't know if there's a way to detect this until it's blocked. What' the best way to drain it? Run a long wire down the hole?
The following users liked this post:
Mbooth (12-11-19)
Old 12-11-19, 11:16 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

First, I'd get a second opinion from a good indy to see what really needs to be replaced.

Second, I'd open a case with Lexus. Explain the situation and ask for a goodwill repair. We'll be happy to help you formulate your letter.
The following 2 users liked this post by cb1111:
Craigyyy (12-12-19), Mbooth (12-11-19)
Old 12-11-19, 11:43 AM
Mbooth
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I opened a case with Lexus. I live in a town where there is a Toyota Dealership so that's where I took it at first. Once the case was opened with Lexus corporate they advised me to take it to a quality Lexus dealership so they could determine the damage. They came back with the exact same results that Toyota came up with. The case worker said that the highest level review board at Lexus looked into the case and since it's a 2010 and out of warranty, they were willing to pay for nothing. I asked does this happen a lot and he said not a lot of cases come in like this. I said could it be a flaw in the design of where the tube drains? He said he didn't know because he's not an authorized mechanic. I said is this something I might have to explore and possible lawsuit? My brother is actually a litigation attorney so I will definitely be asking him some questions.
The sad thing is I was actually looking into upgrading mine this year until this happened. Lexus is a luxury vehicle and I should not have to worry about flushing out my tubes connected to the sunroof. I should be able to park my car outside and not have to worry about it. There is no where in the manual that states this and even no where in the Multi-Point Inspection (which any tech should know at Lexus or Toyota) for them to check the sunroof drain plugs/tubes. The scary thing is that it could happen to anyone whether it's brand new or not. I won't be buying another Lexus after this because the reason I bought a Lexus is because of reliability.
Old 12-11-19, 11:51 AM
Mistaken
Rookie

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbooth
Yes, I opened a case with Lexus. I live in a town where there is a Toyota Dealership so that's where I took it at first. Once the case was opened with Lexus corporate they advised me to take it to a quality Lexus dealership so they could determine the damage. They came back with the exact same results that Toyota came up with. The case worker said that the highest level review board at Lexus looked into the case and since it's a 2010 and out of warranty, they were willing to pay for nothing. I asked does this happen a lot and he said not a lot of cases come in like this. I said could it be a flaw in the design of where the tube drains? He said he didn't know because he's not an authorized mechanic. I said is this something I might have to explore and possible lawsuit? My brother is actually a litigation attorney so I will definitely be asking him some questions.
The sad thing is I was actually looking into upgrading mine this year until this happened. Lexus is a luxury vehicle and I should not have to worry about flushing out my tubes connected to the sunroof. I should be able to park my car outside and not have to worry about it. There is no where in the manual that states this and even no where in the Multi-Point Inspection (which any tech should know at Lexus or Toyota) for them to check the sunroof drain plugs/tubes. The scary thing is that it could happen to anyone whether it's brand new or not. I won't be buying another Lexus after this because the reason I bought a Lexus is because of reliability.
I have heard of this happening to other vehicles, many times before. It definitely isn't a Lexus or Toyota only thing. If they get blocked by junk then it will be an issue. Did you buy the vehicle new? If the vehicle has been out in the elements for 10 years then this definitely can happen. Keeping those areas clean and clear is good practice but a bummer that you had this happen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mistaken:
Old 12-11-19, 01:13 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 597 Likes on 362 Posts

All sunroof are designed to accomodate leaking/seaping past the gasket (otherwise there wouldn't drains...)

the 4runner has been known to have clogging drain issues... with various remedies... I clean the gasket and painted mating surface regularly (and apply Aero303 to the gasket).. if water can leak/seap by so can pollen or leaves/ debris when open. I never leave the top open if not driving... for preventative maintenance while cleaning I also take a turkey baster filled with simple green/ water mixture and squeeze it down the drain tube entrance to make sure it comes out below the vehicle... if it doesn't I push some compressed air down the drain tube... never had an issue doing these items.. (vehicle is also parked inside)....
get a second opinion as well... sorry to hear about your luck...

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...ain-holes.html
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...underside.html
https://www.4runners.com/threads/lea...the-dash.6142/
https://www.4runners.com/threads/mas...de-floor.7428/
Old 12-11-19, 01:17 PM
Mbooth
Driver School Candidate

I bought it used but have always taken it to a reputable Lexus/Toyota dealership and have taken extremely great care of it. It was actually at a Lexus dealership last year when I complained that my sunroof was leaking. Shouldn't they have checked it then or flushed out the drain pipes during that time? The Lexus techs should know to do this if it's a problem.
I don't mind them getting clogged, it's just that the drain tubes stop right by the drivers floor mat bay. Once they got clogged, the water had no where to go and then just gushed out by my leg. I don't even know why there is a chance for water to even get in right there and especially where the wiring and circuit is located. I think they need re-locate and place the circuit and wire harness somewhere else. Or figure out another way to drain the water from the pipes. It seems like a bad design.
Old 12-11-19, 01:28 PM
Mbooth
Driver School Candidate

Is this just an issue with Lexus/Toyota? I'm a female and not technical and no one ever warned me about doing this and checking this? That's why I bought a Lexus because they are supposed to last for 100's of miles! I thought it was supposed to be a reliable car and that's why I bought it.
*Bought from a Lexus Dealership
*Only have gotten service from a Lexus/Toyota Dealership (so there wasn't an independent body shop servicing it)
*There is no maintenance instructions to check or clear drains
*This is the 3rd Lexus/Toyota I've owned and have never heard of this or had any trouble
*Could have gotten it serviced anywhere and ended up with the same issue
*Parking Outside is no excuse for leaking – all vehicles are supposed to be water tight -let alone a luxury brand

Sorry for the rant...the Lexus Case Worker called me today saying they couldn't help. The quotes almost $9k of repairs

Old 12-11-19, 02:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Mbooth: You probably want to get a second opinion from someone who does independent Toyota/Lexus repair. I'm not sure what qualifies a harness replacement from a dealer but I imagine it isn't much. The indy shop will undoubtedly cut repair cost to probably a 1/3. If you did need a harness ...used parts are a small percentage of new Lexus parts cost. I know this doesn't help your immediate situation but this has potential to make it a 1/3 of the cost IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Old 12-11-19, 02:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Not sure how one would get to the rear drains easily

Old 12-11-19, 02:37 PM
Mbooth
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your input! Yes, I'm definitely going to go all around and get different quotes from local auto shops in my area. Especially since both Lexus and Toyota wrote down what was wrong, now it becomes a bidding war who can give me the best deal on parts and service.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-11-19)
Old 12-11-19, 04:10 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Is this just an issue with Lexus/Toyota? I'm a female and not technical and no one ever warned me about doing this and checking this? That's why I bought a Lexus because they are supposed to last for 100's of miles! I thought it was supposed to be a reliable car and that's why I bought it.
*Bought from a Lexus Dealership
*Only have gotten service from a Lexus/Toyota Dealership (so there wasn't an independent body shop servicing it)
*There is no maintenance instructions to check or clear drains
*This is the 3rd Lexus/Toyota I've owned and have never heard of this or had any trouble
*Could have gotten it serviced anywhere and ended up with the same issue
*Parking Outside is no excuse for leaking – all vehicles are supposed to be water tight -let alone a luxury brand

Sorry for the rant...the Lexus Case Worker called me today saying they couldn't help. The quotes almost $9k of repairs
Thank you so much for your input! Yes, I'm definitely going to go all around and get different quotes from local auto shops in my area. Especially since both Lexus and Toyota wrote down what was wrong, now it becomes a bidding war who can give me the best deal on parts and service.
This is a topic that comes up frequently in all forums, so it isn't just a Lexus thing.

Did you mention to Lexus that a dealer had evaluated the problem a year ago?

You may want to have an indy evaluate the actual state of the harness and connections. It may just be a connection that needs cleaning and not replacement. Like Acrad said, they can also find used parts at much lower prices. Does the car still drive?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-11-19, 04:53 PM
Mbooth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cb1111
This is a topic that comes up frequently in all forums, so it isn't just a Lexus thing.

Did you mention to Lexus that a dealer had evaluated the problem a year ago?

You may want to have an indy evaluate the actual state of the harness and connections. It may just be a connection that needs cleaning and not replacement. Like Acrad said, they can also find used parts at much lower prices. Does the car still drive?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Yes, sir! The car runs perfectly great! The only thing is sometimes the battery dies and we have to jump it. They have some of the wires i guess not connected right now because they just put a brand new battery and alternator in it. This way it won't suck the power and die on me? I'm not sure? I just need to get it somewhat fixed and get rid of it!

Quick Reply: Water Leaks - Interior