GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 08:22 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess the backbone version is longer? The install article I saw for our trucks shows the one w/ backbone and it covers the whole sunroof: Rhino-Rack Install on GX 460 (see pics at the bottom).

Also, was this one considerably less expensive for not getting the backbone system? FWIW it seems like even the backbone system doesn't fill the entire rail, but I could be wrong looking at those pictures.

Looks great!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-20-18)
Old 12-20-18, 09:25 AM
Bshore08
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraSpdRH
I guess the backbone version is longer? The install article I saw for our trucks shows the one w/ backbone and it covers the whole sunroof: Rhino-Rack Install on GX 460 (see pics at the bottom).

Also, was this one considerably less expensive for not getting the backbone system? FWIW it seems like even the backbone system doesn't fill the entire rail, but I could be wrong looking at those pictures.

Looks great!

i think you are correct about the sizing. The backbone is full length which was also something I considered with other brands. Definitely nice having more space to pack but for the 90% driving in town, I chose this option. There are some great racks out there and go full length, all what your preference and needs are
im lightly searching drip molding and seems like I’ll be able to find something for the GX or Prado and not too crazy expensive through Toyota parts. I’ll post the part numbers when I figure it out to fill in the gutters. I’ll post pics as well to clarify the areas I’m speaking about
I purchased this through Rack Outfitters. They have both mounting systems to choose from, but to your point I’d check sizing lengths
they had the rack and mounts in the mail about 8 minutes after I bought it. Free shipping, I paid something like $908 total for everything
Old 12-20-18, 01:10 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good, is there a way to mount the rack lower by let say half of the height of your setup ?
Old 12-20-18, 02:17 PM
Bshore08
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by konc3pt
Looks good, is there a way to mount the rack lower by let say half of the height of your setup ?
thank you. I’m sure there is a way but nothing plug and play to order. Each mounting bracket is specific shape and size, they are not all equal. Fronts are higher than the middle and the rear. Right and left specific
that said im sure someone could fabricate something to be lower
another item to consider is the shark fin. You can use a shark fin relocation kit off amazon for cheap and mount in on top of the rack if there isn’t room. This rack allows it to work perfectly as is
i don’t like the look of racks sitting too high and am pleased with this profile on this in person
another idea is to mount a light bar in the front below to fill in the gap which I’ve done on our suvs and looks great. All going to depend on wind resistance, aerodynamics and noise for each individual car and driver
Old 01-26-19, 04:36 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Roof rack

New GX owner. Seems the roof rails are pretty useless. Can’t seem to find a Thule rail and foot solution. What are you guys using to haul a Thule luggage box?
Old 01-26-19, 06:26 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

there are a few threads that already exist with lots of info:
try this one
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rack-bars.html
Old 01-27-19, 07:49 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by leftyguns
there are a few threads that already exist with lots of info:
try this one
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rack-bars.html
This is very helpful. Thanks so much. Not sure how I missed this in my searches!
Old 01-28-19, 05:39 AM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Inno seems to be the best solution for the OEM rails. The OEM crossbars may do the job but some have had issues w/ roof box feet rubbing the roof with them.

Last edited by spd33; 01-28-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 07:43 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spd33
Inno seems to be the best solution for the OEM rails. The OEM crossbars may do the job but some have had issues w/ roof box feet rubbing the roof with them.
I've been following this and other threads on GXOR (FACEBOOK). Might be wrong, but I think the Thule foot clamps that go around the Lexus cross bars will clear the roof, but some of the Yakima clamps will contact the roof. I'm trying to decide if I need a full on roof rack or maybe just the Lexus cross bars and a cargo pod. I know the plastic cargo pods must be pretty flimsy, but it would be easy to remove them and not have to carry around a permanent rack for the daily drive.
Old 01-28-19, 08:17 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if you want the overland look or how much you want to load on your rack, but I purchased mine from Gamiviti: http://www.gamiviti.com/roofracks
I like them because they are low profile (read: can still get into most parking garages) and there are eight load bearing points attached to my roof for a more even weight distribution.

Old 01-28-19, 10:07 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by spd33
I have a Yakima box. It was very close to rubbing on our old Highlander with OEM rails and bars. I think the GX is even lower.

I saw these knock-off Prado rails by Fenza. Looks like a decent solution but the low price concerns me into thinking they are junk and may not provide much weight-carrying tolerance. Have never heard of Fenza but seems to be a legit company in Florida, although the website is a little off. Thoughts?
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-28-19, 10:09 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r2m
Not sure if you want the overland look or how much you want to load on your rack, but I purchased mine from Gamiviti: http://www.gamiviti.com/roofracks
I like them because they are low profile (read: can still get into most parking garages) and there are eight load bearing points attached to my roof for a more even weight distribution.

Well, there you go! Awesome rig and why I like the full size metal rack. I assume that the rack is mounted at the three threaded mounting sites on each side. How is the sound level, empty, at normal highway speeds?

Last edited by Airpirate; 01-28-19 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Clarity and accuracy.
Old 01-28-19, 02:50 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Airpirate
I've been following this and other threads on GXOR (FACEBOOK). Might be wrong, but I think the Thule foot clamps that go around the Lexus cross bars will clear the roof, but some of the Yakima clamps will contact the roof. I'm trying to decide if I need a full on roof rack or maybe just the Lexus cross bars and a cargo pod. I know the plastic cargo pods must be pretty flimsy, but it would be easy to remove them and not have to carry around a permanent rack for the daily drive.
thanks for the information. Did you consider Prado rails?
Old 01-28-19, 03:16 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually have it mounted at four points per side. And yes there is a lot of wind noise with the rack and LED light bar. I like to drive with the sun roof open often and it's usually a compromise of whether I want the sun roof open or if I want to listen to music. I plan on designing a wind screen for the rack/light bar to mitigate the wind noise. I've just been too busy to do it yet.
Old 01-29-19, 06:43 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r2m
I actually have it mounted at four points per side. And yes there is a lot of wind noise with the rack and LED light bar. I like to drive with the sun roof open often and it's usually a compromise of whether I want the sun roof open or if I want to listen to music. I plan on designing a wind screen for the rack/light bar to mitigate the wind noise. I've just been too busy to do it yet.
Thanks for the info. I don't want additional noise, but there is no denying that your rack looks great and eliminates the "soccer mom" look. I rarely open the sun roof, so a little noise will be ok. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars