GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 06:50 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
I actually have it mounted at four points per side. And yes there is a lot of wind noise with the rack and LED light bar. I like to drive with the sun roof open often and it's usually a compromise of whether I want the sun roof open or if I want to listen to music. I plan on designing a wind screen for the rack/light bar to mitigate the wind noise. I've just been too busy to do it yet.
math has never been my strong point, but since you have four mounting points, I assume you at least had to drill a little?
Old 01-29-19, 07:28 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

My bad...
I just went out to check on exactly how many mounting points I have, three per side. Apologies to everyone on this post.
YotaMasters here in So Cal put it on for me and did all the wiring for the lights.
Old 01-29-19, 12:35 PM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgs
I have a Yakima box. It was very close to rubbing on our old Highlander with OEM rails and bars. I think the GX is even lower.

I saw these knock-off Prado rails by Fenza. Looks like a decent solution but the low price concerns me into thinking they are junk and may not provide much weight-carrying tolerance. Have never heard of Fenza but seems to be a legit company in Florida, although the website is a little off. Thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/Rails-Toyota-.../dp/B01B40J5FK
I actually had Prado rails off eBay for a bit but the vendor sucked and I never got the proper center mounting points. They served the purpose though and opened up to a much wider variety of crossbars from Yakima/Thule etc. I ended up using Yakima Lowriders with them. Those on Amazon are a great price and hopefully a good return policy.

Eventually, in an effort to see if 5th Gen 4Runner stuff fit, I pulled them off. The 5th Gen 4Runner rails do fit and also open up many more crossbar options although they only match up with 3 bolt holes in the roof rail rather than 4. I've travelled about 1000 miles w/ a loaded roof box and haven't had any issues.
The following users liked this post:
ltsr (03-14-19)
Old 01-29-19, 02:39 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by spd33
I actually had Prado rails off eBay for a bit but the vendor sucked and I never got the proper center mounting points. They served the purpose though and opened up to a much wider variety of crossbars from Yakima/Thule etc. I ended up using Yakima Lowriders with them. Those on Amazon are a great price and hopefully a good return policy.

Eventually, in an effort to see if 5th Gen 4Runner stuff fit, I pulled them off. The 5th Gen 4Runner rails do fit and also open up many more crossbar options although they only match up with 3 bolt holes in the roof rail rather than 4. I've travelled about 1000 miles w/ a loaded roof box and haven't had any issues.
great information - thanks so much for the response. For the price, I may take a chance on them and see what they look like. Who knew on the 4Runner rails! This forum is awesome. Have any pictures of your 4Runner rail setup?
Old 01-30-19, 07:25 AM
spd33
Rookie

I think it would be preferrable to have the additional middle foot that the Prado 150 rails offer. The 4runner rails look good and work fine, a bit more utilitarian looking w/ the squared off end caps than the Prado rails.

Should also note that you need to order some trim to cover the channel that is exposed by either set of rails mentioned above. There is a Lexus part # somewhere in that other roof rack thread.

The following 3 users liked this post by spd33:
bbqsoup (01-30-19), chimes (04-05-19), ltsr (03-14-19)
Old 01-30-19, 08:23 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

If you keep your cross bars close to the ends of the rail, front and rear, there shouldn't be any issues with weighting down a car-top carrier. I probably wouldn't put the cross bars near the middle with a heavy load. May buckle the rails? I have three load points on each side of my rig, but again, I have a full length rack, lights and a roof top tent weighting in at about 150 lbs.
Old 01-30-19, 08:43 AM
Borgs
Rookie

I think it would be preferrable to have the additional middle foot that the Prado 150 rails offer. The 4runner rails look good and work fine, a bit more utilitarian looking w/ the squared off end caps than the Prado rails.

Should also note that you need to order some trim to cover the channel that is exposed by either set of rails mentioned above. There is a Lexus part # somewhere in that other roof rack thread.

I really like that look - very well done my friend. Any concerns with leaks, or did you use some silicone sealer?
Old 01-30-19, 12:51 PM
spd33
Rookie

I really like that look - very well done my friend. Any concerns with leaks, or did you use some silicone sealer?
I'm in phoenix so moisture isn't something I'm familiar with. One word of advice is definitely do NOT use an impact to remove the bolts through the roof. The shock can and will shake the nuts loose under the headliner. Ask me how I found that out!
Old 01-30-19, 05:02 PM
Borgs
Rookie

I'm in phoenix so moisture isn't something I'm familiar with. One word of advice is definitely do NOT use an impact to remove the bolts through the roof. The shock can and will shake the nuts loose under the headliner. Ask me how I found that out!
Understood. Great advice. I will leave the impact in the garage. I am slightly concerned about ripping apart the roof of a new Lexus. I guess I will need to get over it.
Old 01-30-19, 05:55 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

I want to replace the rails with one from the GX470 or 4runner too but afraid I'll mess up and it will leak everywhere.
Old 01-30-19, 07:18 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I want to replace the rails with one from the GX470 or 4runner too but afraid I'll mess up and it will leak everywhere.
Will GX 470 rails for?
Old 01-30-19, 08:15 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

I thought I saw someone did it from FB group. Maybe I was mistaken.

Will GX 470 rails for?
Old 01-31-19, 07:13 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

I've never measured before, but to me and my old eyes, the GX 470's always look narrower (the entire vehicle) than the 460's.
But again, that may just be me.
Old 02-14-19, 01:00 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Default Warrior Roof Rack on GX460?

It’s built for a 470 - will it fit on 460? Called Warrior - they didn’t know. I think the mounting points are similar if not identical but want to confirm before pulling trigger.

http://www.warriorproducts.com/2018/...al-roof-racks/
Old 02-14-19, 02:26 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

If like that tube style rack, you may like the one I put on my rig from Gamiviti: http://www.gamiviti.com/
Presently this is the best photo I have that shows the rack without my RRT on. There are 6 mounting points, left and right proximity LED's and as you can see a front LED light bar. I have an iKamper RRT that goes on top when the we're camping.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (03-18-19)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars