Received 3,616 Likes on 2,367 Posts

A number of happy SSO owners on GXOR:

https://www.southernstyleoffroad.com...460-roof-rack/

Old 04-03-19, 03:42 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by R3loader
good looking trucks. We go skiing once a year and I think having the rack would allow me to put the gears on top to get some interior room for the kids.
I got mine mainly to put a Thule Hyperbox on...there wasn't enough clearance w/ the factory rails for the claw hook that Thule uses. As an added benefit, it makes a great mount for a Batwing awning and Waterport for beach days or various gear when camping.
Old 04-03-19, 04:36 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

the SSO looks really nice too. It seem to get decent reviews also on 4runner forum.
Old 04-03-19, 05:32 PM
oksir83
Driver

the SSO looks really nice too. It seem to get decent reviews also on 4runner forum.
SSO and Prinsu were the top 2 choices for me. Ultimately I went with Prinsu b/c I had it in 3 days vs 6-8 weeks and I didn't like all the cutouts on the side rails of the SSO. The SSO also uses 3" wide crossbars, whereas the Prinsu is 2". The 2" wide crossbars made mounting my Thule box a bit easier due to the Thule's claw opening dimension. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 04-03-19, 05:57 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Nice KO2’s

Originally Posted by oksir83
I have a Prinsu and I love it. Once I got everything dialed in with the fairing position and trim, it has been extremely quiet with no vibration or anything. I'd buy one again without hesitation. I did make 2 spacers for under the center mounts to sleep better at night, but you could easily bolt it down as-is or use a couple washers. Hard to explain without actually having the rack in front of you. It also didn't hurt that it was in-stock with no 1-2 month wait time like some other manufacturers.

nice tires. What size KO2’s? Do you like the ride? Any rubbing? I have KO2’s on my Tundra and love them.
Old 04-03-19, 08:42 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Prinsu for me also..
Old 04-04-19, 06:08 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

good looking trucks. We go skiing once a year and I think having the rack would allow me to put the gears on top to get some interior room for the kids.
You know, if you're only looking to use it once a year you might be better served with a hitch-mounted storage option. You will notice a hit to mpg with any roof rack, so you have to decide if it is worth it to absorb that extra fuel cost all year just to use it 1-2 times. The hitch-mounted options can be popped on and off in a minute when needed and then stored away when not in use.

Full disclosure, I have a rooftop basket and noticed a drop in my mpg of ~2 or so, but I don't drive much and I like the way it looks so I live with it. I also have a hitch mounted carrier that I use pretty frequently on trips that works great and hauls my coolers, camping gear, etc. I actually put more stuff in my hitch mounted carrier than I do my rooftop basket, and it was under $100. Just a thought...
Old 04-04-19, 08:23 AM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thought Cobra. We have not had to use the roof rack as I do not even have bars for it. It would be mostly for the "cool" factor but if it cause more wind noise and much more decrease in mileage then I have to rethink the strategy a bit. I am on stock wheels and tires right now and get around 15mpg around town. I have all the wheels and suspension parts getting ready to be installed so I imagine that would reduce the mileage by 1-2mpg already.
Old 04-05-19, 08:08 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I read this too and have even set up a possible purchase of some 470 rails. Anyone with any insight?

Originally Posted by bbqsoup

I thought I saw someone did it from FB group. Maybe I was mistaken.
Old 04-05-19, 09:03 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
I've never measured before, but to me and my old eyes, the GX 470's always look narrower (the entire vehicle) than the 460's.
But again, that may just be me.
I decided, based in large part on r2m’s recommendation and awesome-looking rig, to commission Gamiviti for a rack (“commission” sounds fancy but that is actually what you are doing - you call Tim, discuss options, needs and wants, and he custom builds it for you). During my shopping I considered all the options, including calling Warrior, who only makes a 470. Consistent with what r2m said, Warrior said they are not identical (hence they’d probably market the product for BOTH 470 AND 460). While the rails may be close, it will nonetheless be off a bit and require modification. The cross bars on the other hand, are not going to work because the 470 is narrower. Keep in mind all of this is based on hearsay (albeit reliable in my opinion and therefore relied on it in making my decision) I did not measure myself.
Old 04-08-19, 12:04 PM
oksir83
Driver

Default Thule Hyper XL Box on Prinsu Rack (Pics for Reference)

Since it seems like I often see folks asking about certain cargo solutions, I figured I would throw on a Thule Hyper XL (90x34.5x15") that typically resides on my wife's MB GL350 (longer vehicle so I wasn't sure how it would fit.) The GX will be doing more road trip duty in the future so I wanted to make sure the Thule fit up there nicely and was adjusted for minimal noise. Due to the additional width from the Prinsu, if I move the box all the way to one side, I still have 15" of width on the rack for skis, fishing poles or recovery tracks, which was a must for me and helped me choose the Prinsu over factory rails. Once tightened down, there are no funny noises or vibrations. I wasn't sure if the additional crossbars would cause anything, but I'm happy to say no additional noises were present. The rear hatch spoiler also clears when the window is opened. I hope this help someone in the future who may be looking for pics of this or a similar set-up.

Old 04-08-19, 01:35 PM
chimes
Rookie

That’s a great looking setup you’ve got- just about exactly what I’m going for. I’ve got a stock ‘15 and my first order of business is buying a Thule box for road trips. I’ve been stressing majorly over how to get it mounted bc I’ve heard conflicting stories of how well it’ll work with the oem crossbars. Just not sure if I want to go with the Prisnu or something similar and have to drive with it always on just to occasionally be able to mount the Thule. Really appreciate the pics
Old 04-08-19, 01:43 PM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by chimes
That’s a great looking setup you’ve got- just about exactly what I’m going for. I’ve got a stock ‘15 and my first order of business is buying a Thule box for road trips. I’ve been stressing majorly over how to get it mounted bc I’ve heard conflicting stories of how well it’ll work with the oem crossbars. Just not sure if I want to go with the Prisnu or something similar and have to drive with it always on just to occasionally be able to mount the Thule. Really appreciate the pics
I also have an awning that I wanted to be able to attach for beach and camping trips, so it just made sense for me to go with the full rack replacement, since the Prinsu easily supports that addition. I looked at the Pioneer Platform from Rhino Rack, which I have on another vehicle, but the slats run front to back, so it makes mounting a cargo box more difficult.

Honestly, if you're only going to use the rack for occasionally mounting a cargo box, I would look at OEM or Inno. I believe Inno has some of the aero-type bars now in addition to the square ones, so it would probably cut down on noise some and help with MPG.
Old 04-08-19, 02:07 PM
chimes
Rookie

Originally Posted by oksir83
I also have an awning that I wanted to be able to attach for beach and camping trips, so it just made sense for me to go with the full rack replacement, since the Prinsu easily supports that addition. I looked at the Pioneer Platform from Rhino Rack, which I have on another vehicle, but the slats run front to back, so it makes mounting a cargo box more difficult.

Honestly, if you're only going to use the rack for occasionally mounting a cargo box, I would look at OEM or Inno. I believe Inno has some of the aero-type bars now in addition to the square ones, so it would probably cut down on noise some and help with MPG.

Yeah those are my main 2 options. I’d rather go with the oem and save $300 but I’ve heard the Thule clamps will scratch the roof due to the oem bars’ low profile. How do you like that model Thule and what made you choose it over some of the others?
Old 04-08-19, 03:21 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

This is a good looking setup. Do you by chance know the height measurement to the top of the rack? I have a new construction underway but glazed over the garage height (amateur hour.. I know).... now it looks like I am very limited on my mods if I want it inside every night.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars