GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 03:34 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chimes
Yeah those are my main 2 options. I’d rather go with the oem and save $300 but I’ve heard the Thule clamps will scratch the roof due to the oem bars’ low profile. How do you like that model Thule and what made you choose it over some of the others?
I have been really happy with the Thule and it has seen thousands of miles through all types of weather. We went with it b/c it was one of the larger models while still being low profile and supposedly optimized for aerodynamics. I wanted a lower profile one where I could attach and load it in my garage and still back out. During extremely heavy and prolonged rains, there is a slight bit of water intrusion, but due to the "ridges" on the floor bottom, I have never had any cargo really get wet. It also has internal lashing straps, quick attach clamps, dual side openings which is nice and a LED light inside that's come in handy when unloading at night in hotel parking lots. It definitely isn't cheap, but I think it was money well spent.

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
This is a good looking setup. Do you by chance know the height measurement to the top of the rack? I have a new construction underway but glazed over the garage height (amateur hour.. I know).... now it looks like I am very limited on my mods if I want it inside every night.
I just measured and the distance to the highest point on the rack is a fraction under 76". My tires are also 1.5" larger in diameter than stock, so on a completely stock set-up, I'd say the height to the top of the Prinsu is right around 75.25" give or take based on fuel level, etc.
Old 04-08-19, 04:22 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Very nice! I have a Yakima Skybox that I plan to put on my GX for an upcoming road trip with a Prinsu Rack as well. I've been shopping awnings as well and am undecided between the ARB PVC bag and aluminum encased.
Old 04-08-19, 04:32 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

A new roof rack and upgraded tires will fit!! Huge sigh of relief! A lift might be out of the question..... it might be pushing it in terms of height
Old 04-08-19, 05:00 PM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by msgs350
Very nice! I have a Yakima Skybox that I plan to put on my GX for an upcoming road trip with a Prinsu Rack as well. I've been shopping awnings as well and am undecided between the ARB PVC bag and aluminum encased.
I have an ARB 2500 w/ PVC bag that I really like and recently picked up a Rhino Batwing 270*. I think the Batwing will be my preferred set-up since it will cover a lot more, including the open cargo door.
Old 04-08-19, 08:41 PM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

275/65/18 ko2 on stock height?spacer? any trimming rubbing?
How’s the wind noise level for stock/ roof rack/rack+carrier?
oem xbar+carrier option doesn’t work for my wife...

Originally Posted by oksir83
I have been really happy with the Thule and it has seen thousands of miles through all types of weather. We went with it b/c it was one of the larger models while still being low profile and supposedly optimized for aerodynamics. I wanted a lower profile one where I could attach and load it in my garage and still back out. During extremely heavy and prolonged rains, there is a slight bit of water intrusion, but due to the "ridges" on the floor bottom, I have never had any cargo really get wet. It also has internal lashing straps, quick attach clamps, dual side openings which is nice and a LED light inside that's come in handy when unloading at night in hotel parking lots. It definitely isn't cheap, but I think it was money well spent.

I just measured and the distance to the highest point on the rack is a fraction under 76". My tires are also 1.5" larger in diameter than stock, so on a completely stock set-up, I'd say the height to the top of the Prinsu is right around 75.25" give or take based on fuel level, etc.
Old 04-09-19, 05:08 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phonemodem
275/65/18 ko2 on stock height?spacer? any trimming rubbing?
How’s the wind noise level for stock/ roof rack/rack+carrier?
oem xbar+carrier option doesn’t work for my wife...
Why doesn’t the oem crossbar and carrier work for your wife?
Old 04-09-19, 07:39 AM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

She doesn’t like the noise. Tolerable to me but she’s the boss
Old 04-09-19, 08:44 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phonemodem
She doesn’t like the noise. Tolerable to me but she’s the boss
That's interesting. I'm trying to figure out a cargo option and was planning on going oem crossbars+ carrier or something as close to it as possible (Inno Aero+ Thule carrier). I figured that setup would produce the least amount of wind noise. If a full rack option would produce less noise then I'd definitely have to consider that. Which carrier did you have mounted to the oem bars?
Old 04-11-19, 02:07 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rago Fabrication is seeking a 2010+ GX for roof rack

Rago Fabrication is seeking a 2010+ GX for roof rack system, is anyone in Texas willing to step up?

Hi Mark,

Mario is looking for someone with a GX460 in to the shop to take measurements off of. Unfortunately, they are not universal. If you know anyone in the Kerrville Texas area who has a GX460 send them our way so we can get the specs we need to make more products.

Sunshine
Team RAGO
www.ragofabrication.com
Follow us on IG and FB: @ragofabrication
Check out our FB Group: Rago Cool Kids Club
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 09:26 PM
Angac108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prinsu roof racks

I love the way the Prinsu roof racks fit the GX. I was looking on purchasing the same racks but the only photo posted on the Prinsu website is the roof racks on a 2013 body style and older. I contacted Prinsu and they are not sure if it will fit the 2014 body style. Did you have to do any customization to fit the roof rack or did you just purchase the one in the site?

Originally Posted by omgitsroy

ill have more photos later but here’s a teaser
Old 04-11-19, 09:27 PM
Angac108
Driver School Candidate

Default Prinsu Roof Rack

I love the way the Prinsu roof racks fit the GX. I was looking on purchasing the same racks but the only photo posted on the Prinsu website is the roof racks on a 2013 body style and older. I contacted Prinsu and they are not sure if it will fit the 2014 body style. Did you have to do any customization to fit the roof rack or did you just purchase the one in the site?

Originally Posted by msgs350
Prinsu finally installed

Old 04-12-19, 03:42 AM
moose545
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd sacrifice myself but I'm in VA, damn it all!
Old 04-12-19, 04:15 AM
oksir83
Driver

The 2010-2019 roofs are all the same. I have the GX460 Prinsu on my 2019 and I love it.
Old 04-12-19, 08:45 AM
Angac108
Driver School Candidate

Nice!! Super glad to hear that. Did you have to drill into your roof? Or, did the factory roof rack mounting holes line up? Sorry for all the questions. I just wanted to go with racks that don’t need drilling. I read some other people say that they had to do some customization on theirs.
Old 04-12-19, 09:31 AM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by Angac108
Nice!! Super glad to hear that. Did you have to drill into your roof? Or, did the factory roof rack mounting holes line up? Sorry for all the questions. I just wanted to go with racks that don’t need drilling. I read some other people say that they had to do some customization on theirs.
No drilling required. You re-use the stock hardware. I did make two 1/8" spacers for the center mounts, but a couple washers would have worked as well. I will say it would have bolted up as is, but mine felt a little too stressed when bolting down and I wanted to be on the safe side. Others have had no issues, so not sure if one of the side rails was a bit tweaked from the factory or what, but not really a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
Angac108 (04-12-19)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars