GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 09:36 AM
Angac108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect... Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted by oksir83
No drilling required. You re-use the stock hardware. I did make two 1/8" spacers for the center mounts, but a couple washers would have worked as well. I will say it would have bolted up as is, but mine felt a little too stressed when bolting down and I wanted to be on the safe side. Others have had no issues, so not sure if one of the side rails was a bit tweaked from the factory or what, but not really a big deal.
Old 04-12-19, 07:54 PM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwelsh
Anybody have any advice on roof system/brand to go with for cargo and canoe carrying?
Not sure how interesting this is, but we are travelling through Idaho Falls this week, and we had Prinsu install their rack on our 2013 GX460 today. They are located in Idaho Falls, so I figured it would make sense to save the shipping cost. They were really cool to deal with, and installed it in about two hours. I purchased two of the universal mounting plates in addition to the regular cross rails. I can say that there is some noise at freeway speeds, but it isn't bad.

Last edited by Airpirate; 04-15-19 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
chimes (04-13-19)
Old 04-12-19, 08:07 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

did you noticed any mileage drops with the rack installed.
Old 04-13-19, 02:58 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpirate
Not sure how interesting this is, but we are travelling through Idaho Falls this week, and we had Prinsu install their crack on our 2013 GX460 today. They are located in Idaho Falls, so I figured it would make sense to save the shipping cost. They were really cool to deal with, and installed it in about two hours. I purchased two of the universal mounting plates in addition to the regular cross rails. I can say that there is some noise at freeway speeds, but it isn't bad.

Thats a great looking GX.
Old 04-13-19, 08:33 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R3loader
I'll know more tomorrow. We depart Idaho Falls for Montana, Washington, etc. I have been getting 17 mpg from Atlanta to here, which is mostly uphill and into the wind, plus a blizzard for a day. I would expect to lose 1 mpg, at least.
Old 04-13-19, 08:39 PM
Angac108
Driver School Candidate

Default Load panels

Thanks for the info. I like the load panels you have. I wanted to do the same thing. The load panels on the site say it’s compatible with the 03-18 4runner and 05-18 Tacoma. Is it a good fit on the GX? I only see one size and want to make sure it fits.

Not sure how interesting this is, but we are travelling through Idaho Falls this week, and we had Prinsu install their crack on our 2013 GX460 today. They are located in Idaho Falls, so I figured it would make sense to save the shipping cost. They were really cool to deal with, and installed it in about two hours. I purchased two of the universal mounting plates in addition to the regular cross rails. I can say that there is some noise at freeway speeds, but it isn't bad.

Old 04-14-19, 04:22 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

gobi racks wanted to do the same, but needed the car for at least 30 days. I couldn't go that long without my vehicle
Old 04-14-19, 05:28 PM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R3loader
Just did the run from Idaho Falls to Great Falls, MT. This was a very windy day, and the route follows along the Continental Divide, so there was a lot of climbing. Average mpg with the new rack installed was 16.8 mpg mostly at 75 mph. So, does the rack reduce gas mileage? This was a tough run, so I'm thinking the penalty is maybe 1 mpg.

Last edited by Airpirate; 04-15-19 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-14-19, 05:31 PM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Angac108
Thanks for the info. I like the load panels you have. I wanted to do the same thing. The load panels on the site say it’s compatible with the 03-18 4runner and 05-18 Tacoma. Is it a good fit on the GX? I only see one size and want to make sure it fits.
I would give them a call before ordering. They are friendly, helpful, Idaho farm type guys. You want to be sure to get the correct panels for your rig.
Old 04-14-19, 05:41 PM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Csk283
New to this forum, I’m working thru this rack issue.
I like the look of the prinsu, please update on wind noise.

im wondering if the flush rails are the same as on the new lx 570—-Thule has a fit kit for that model. Looks pretty much the same as gx rails. Anyone know for certain? I have aero bars off my old truck just need new feet to make them work!

Great info on here, thanks
Just adding to the data. Just ran 300 miles at about 70-80 mph in gusty conditions. Yes, there is some added noise, but much less than I was expecting. I'm happy with the Prinsu.
Old 04-14-19, 08:34 PM
Angac108
Driver School Candidate

I sent an email and just waiting for a response. Thanks.

I would give them a call before ordering. They are friendly, helpful, Idaho farm type guys. You want to be sure to get the correct panels for your rig.
Old 04-19-19, 06:30 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

took out the factory cross bars and installed the inno bars, my Thule XT motion cargo carrier fits nicely. The stock setup was ok but felt the hooks/arms of the carrier were too close to the roof and I was scared of getting it scratched.

Install wasn't that bad; pretty straight forward.

Old 04-19-19, 06:47 PM
chimes
Rookie

Originally Posted by UZ214
took out the factory cross bars and installed the inno bars, my Thule XT motion cargo carrier fits nicely. The stock setup was ok but felt the hooks/arms of the carrier were too close to the roof and I was scared of getting it scratched.

Install wasn't that bad; pretty straight forward.

Exactly the set up that I’m looking at. Are those the Inno Aero bars or the square? Where’d you order the Inno set from?
Old 04-19-19, 08:01 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I got it from trailer-they are square not sure if aero fits our cars. I basically used this page to order the bars- attaching the invoice for parts and price. I drove around with the bars didn't notice any wind noise but I didn't really got faster than 60.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-186590.html
The following 2 users liked this post by UZ214:
EANX (02-23-21), ltsr (04-19-19)
Old 04-20-19, 07:02 AM
chimes
Rookie

Originally Posted by UZ214

I got it from trailer-they are square not sure if aero fits our cars. I basically used this page to order the bars- attaching the invoice for parts and price. I drove around with the bars didn't notice any wind noise but I didn't really got faster than 60.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-186590.html
Really appreciate the info. If you notice any big pros/cons or things you would change over the next couple of weeks please post here

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars