GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 01:59 PM
shaaksma
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yakima EZ Rider, Load warrior, and 3/4 black pipe

Thanks for the add.
Taking the wife's '19 with 500 miles to Disney next week. Through a rack I already had in the garage up there to handle the overflow.

Yakima EZ rider, Load warrior with extension, and 3/4" black pipe cross bars cut to 50". Plenty of clearance. Even though the amount of bite from the towers is questionable, the setup is wiggle free once tightened down. Used 3/4", 1.05 OD black pipe, added 1" SS hose clamps to obtain Yakima 1.15 OD. Covered with electrical tape. Electrical tape end caps on to stop whistle. Still plenty of wind noise. Good for temporary or occasional use.
Old 06-17-19, 12:10 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Gamiviti Rack is on

Installed my Gamiviti Rack this weekend. I really like this thing. Super high quality, great look, made by a great small business (Tim was great to work with and is a true craftsman). Special thanks to @r2m for the recommendation and answering all my rookie questions.

Old 06-17-19, 12:24 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks really good Borgs!! I'm glad I was able to help.
Now for a return favor... I don't have a wind screen in front of my rack, How is the wind noise at highway speeds with the wind screen on yours?
When my sun roof is open going more than 30 MPH, I can't hear my stereo with the volume set at 30 with satellite radio. So how noisy is you vehicle with the radio volume set at 30, the sun roof open and moving over 30 MPH?
Old 06-17-19, 12:43 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Default Funny you mention wind

Originally Posted by r2m
Looks really good Borgs!! I'm glad I was able to help.
Now for a return favor... I don't have a wind screen in front of my rack, How is the wind noise at highway speeds with the wind screen on yours?
When my sun roof is open going more than 30 MPH, I can't hear my stereo with the volume set at 30 with satellite radio. So how noisy is you vehicle with the radio volume set at 30, the sun roof open and moving over 30 MPH?
Funny you mention the wind. I preferred the look of it without the fairing. This is day 1.

Until I got on the road. The wind was driving me mad even at 25 mph. This was with sunroof CLOSED, and radio at a high volume. At 40-60 mph, ridiculous, on the highway at 70-80 mph, absolutely unbearable. My wife and I had a tough time even talking - which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it literally sounded like a NASCAR at highway speeds. I’d imagine the sunroof down would have been insanely loud. We drove about 45 minutes and I couldn’t handle it. I was really worried I would have to take the rack off.

The next morning I put on the fairing and took the same drive at same speeds. Unbelievably dramatic decrease, I’d say it is 90-95% the same sound of what it was stock before the rack.

This is of course doesn’t directly answer your question about sunroof down and music at 30, happy to test that out for you, but based on the above, I’d bet a paycheck you will be amazed at how dramatic the difference is with the fairing on.
Old 06-17-19, 12:49 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgs
Funny you mention the wind. I preferred the look of it without the fairing. This is day 1.

Until I got on the road. The wind was driving me mad even at 25 mph. This was with sunroof CLOSED, and radio at a high volume. At 40-60 mph, ridiculous, on the highway at 70-80 mph, absolutely unbearable. My wife and I had a tough time even talking - which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it literally sounded like a NASCAR at highway speeds. I’d imagine the sunroof down would have been insanely loud. We drove about 45 minutes and I couldn’t handle it. I was really worried I would have to take the rack off.

The next morning I put on the fairing and took the same drive at same speeds. Unbelievably dramatic decrease, I’d say it is 90-95% the same sound of what it was stock before the rack.

This is of course doesn’t directly answer your question about sunroof down and music at 30, happy to test that out for you, but based on the above, I’d bet a paycheck you will be amazed at how dramatic the difference is with the fairing on.
This is great news! I had Tim send me the template for the fairing and told him I will be modifying it to be a better fit for the GX and then make a fairing out of clear polycarbonate (Lexan). When I'm done, I'll send him the template I modified for our GX's so he can use that for future GX rack sales.
I need it to be clear because I have the LED bar light and I don't want to have to get out to remove the fairing when off-roading to use the lights.
Old 06-17-19, 01:00 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Default Fairing fit

The fairing fit perfectly right out of the box with no modification. The contour runs perfectly on the roof line above the windshield. I used the 6 clamps and secured them all (not just the top clamps as the website suggests you can get away with) to the rack. My rack is on the top setting in front and back (to clear the antennae fin). Not sure of your clearance behind your light bar, but I’d assume it’d be a relatively easy mod to get the fairing secured behind the light bar, or perhaps “bury” the light bar within the fairing?
Old 06-18-19, 01:36 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgs

Thank you for the information. I have been searching for the right rack and this is now in the running. What does the top look like? I cannot tell if it is just round bars. What other racks did you consider?
Old 06-18-19, 01:50 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Default The one

Originally Posted by Stepsride
Thank you for the information. I have been searching for the right rack and this is now in the running. What does the top look like? I cannot tell if it is just round bars. What other racks did you consider?
I won’t be able to take pics for a few days but take a look at the gamivit website. He has tons of pics and options. I have an Expo+++ rack with the sunroof cutout. There are limitless attach points and combinations, and it is adjustable. After I decided to go aftermarket and saw @r2m ‘s build, it was an easy decision and this was the only one I wanted. Tim at Gamviti is the real deal and an awesome guy with whom to talk.
The following users liked this post:
Stepsride (06-18-19)
Old 08-12-19, 02:13 PM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Factory Bars

Anyone else have issues with flexing on the factory
cross bars? I’ve got a Yakima Front Loader for my bike and get a lot of flex in the cross bars, enough to make it almost unusable with the bike tray. Thinking of going prinsu or frontline - anyone hauling a MTB on the roof with either of those ?
Old 08-12-19, 03:31 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by stoomac
Anyone else have issues with flexing on the factory
cross bars? I’ve got a Yakima Front Loader for my bike and get a lot of flex in the cross bars, enough to make it almost unusable with the bike tray. Thinking of going prinsu or frontline - anyone hauling a MTB on the roof with either of those ?
Although i don't use mine for a bike, I have a Prinsu rack installed on my 2015 GX and it doesn't work well with the Yakima Skybox. The mounts on the box won't clamp to the 1"x2" crossbars and they would rubbed on the roof, which was an issue with the OEM crossbar.

I think I will order the 1"x1" crossbars and see if it resolves my issue.
Old 08-23-19, 07:47 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Old 08-24-19, 07:54 PM
UltramanGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Picked up an Inno roof rack system from a member here (thanks @UZ214!) and installed it today. Very happy with the way they look and they are solid too!

The following 2 users liked this post by UltramanGX:
DManimousPrime (07-11-23), ltsr (08-25-19)
Old 08-27-19, 11:19 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Factory Cross Bars with the Thule Box

The following 2 users liked this post by krazykrnbo:
bbqsoup (08-27-19), Huskers (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 11:33 AM
Huskers
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What model is that? looks great!
Old 08-29-19, 05:32 PM
jcheung17
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I am debating on whether to go with a roof mounted cargo carrier or hitch.

It seems like a hitch mounted one would have better gas mileage and be easier to load, however access to the back could be an issue due to the barn style door. I also wouldn’t be able to keep the hitch mounted one installed all the time due to the cabinets/ length of my garage.

Has anyone tried both and preferred one over the other?

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars