GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 02:46 PM
GXORUT
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were to add the extension from where it currently sits on the car it would be even with the front of the sunroof (Keep in mind I have the large rack, extension adds 22”). So basically, length would be: front of sunroof to shark fin antenna. To answer the other question, you would safely have just over 1" of clearance for the sunroof, if tilted up. HOWEVER... to add the extension would mean you would ignore Lexus's advisory and move the crossbar in the front closer than 8", or to the rear closer than 14", because the adjustable mounts can only slide so far on the front and rear of the rack. My inclination would be to move the rack back, ignoring Lexus's recommendation, so it would look more like that 4runner in your link. BTW, that 4runner photo is what sold me on the rack!

Last edited by GXORUT; 03-22-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 07:45 AM
boojang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 roof rack rubber insert

Waiting for UPS to drop off my Rack Outfitters roof rack crossbars and noticed that there will be sections where water will be able to run freely.

Does anyone know where to get rubber inserts? Do I even need them? Thanks !

Roof rails removed, waiting for new rack from UPS today.

In between the mounting screws water will collect...

Water could get in between the existing front rubber strip...

Last edited by boojang; 04-01-20 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 08:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I don't think they are needed and sometimes removed with aftermarket rack options.

Did you also use some extra silicon to seal those bolts on top? I have seen a posts about leaks coming from this area after components are replaced with alternate options.
Old 04-04-20, 11:40 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 4Runner racks that left a couple of spare bolts. I just filled the holes with RTV silicone, replaced the bolts then covered them in silicone...No leaks (so far)
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-04-20)
Old 04-05-20, 07:11 AM
boojang
Driver School Candidate

I have 2 cross bars on the 2 middle locations and then basically a "cap" that was sent with the kit for the 3rd rear location point. I didnt use silicone on it at all. No rubber inserts....
Old 04-05-20, 07:21 AM
boojang
Driver School Candidate

This is the "cap"

The kit doesnt say to use silicone, but wondering if i should anyways.
Old 04-05-20, 10:56 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Better safe than...….
Old 04-05-20, 11:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

SSO install video using silicone

Old 04-12-20, 07:58 PM
illram
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got my rack on. Went with the Medium Yakima OffGrid with extension. Didn't want it overhanging the front rail, which I think the large would have done. This size fits the roof rail dimensions nicely I think. It looks a little small for the truck from some angles, but it's plenty of room for my needs. Really easy to put together and put on/take off too; this is a very simple set up. Thanks for everyone's help in this thread figuring it out.

The following 4 users liked this post by illram:
cancruiser (04-12-20), GXORUT (04-12-20), paui4m (04-13-20), xplorr (04-13-20)
Old 04-12-20, 08:08 PM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks great and goofd choice! Congrats..
Looking at your GX, is it standard height or lifted?
Old 04-12-20, 08:31 PM
illram
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cancruiser
Looks great and goofd choice! Congrats..
Looking at your GX, is it standard height or lifted?
Yes, it's a Toytec Boss Lift, between 2 to 3" (not sure of exact height as last owner put it on).
Old 04-12-20, 08:42 PM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Looking great.. I like this height. not too tall, not too short but just right...
Old 04-13-20, 08:19 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That setup does look great. What crossbar system are you using? Looks like OEM...any concerns/issues with their load capacity? I hadn’t really considered a basket but that has me really leaning that way. So many downsides to both the hitch carrier and the rooftop cargo box but the rooftop basket looks like a solid compromise between the two.
Old 04-13-20, 12:05 PM
illram
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chimes
That setup does look great. What crossbar system are you using? Looks like OEM...any concerns/issues with their load capacity? I hadn’t really considered a basket but that has me really leaning that way. So many downsides to both the hitch carrier and the rooftop cargo box but the rooftop basket looks like a solid compromise between the two.
Yes those are the OEM cross bars, purchased from Amazon. There is a new part model which I got (PT278-60170 vs "old" PT278-60091), but I don't know if there is any actual difference. Just figured I might as well get the newer part, it was only $15 more. This solution eliminates any issue with the clearance between the low crossbars and the roof as the rack has bars on it as well that fit all off the shelf stuff like bike racks, ski carriers, etc.

If I remember correctly the stated load capacity is 170lb, which is enough for what I need, but obviously not close to what you get from a full aftermarket roof rack solution that involves taking the rails off. But it can do the basic things I need like for example a full cooler and kid's bicycles, or kayak + camping gear in drybags, etc. Just can't walk around up there....

Last edited by illram; 04-13-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 12:35 PM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by illram
Yes those are the OEM cross bars, purchased from Amazon. There is a new part model which I got (PT278-60170 vs "old" PT278-60091), but I don't know if there is any actual difference. Just figured I might as well get the newer part, it was only $15 more. This solution eliminates any issue with the clearance between the low crossbars and the roof as the rack has bars on it as well that fit all off the shelf stuff like bike racks, ski carriers, etc.

If I remember correctly the stated load capacity is 170lb, which is enough for what I need, but obviously not close to what you get from a full aftermarket roof rack solution that involves taking the rails off. But it can do the basic things I need like for example a full cooler and kid's bicycles, or kayak + camping gear in drybags, etc. Just can't walk around up there....
That’s exactly the type of stuff I’ll be carrying as well... family hauler with 3 kids. Don’t need one of the $1,500 custom extreme racks (though it’d be nice). My concern with the cargo boxes on the OEM bars was the clearance but looks like you’ve got that figured out. You said it’s fairly easy to put on/take off? Any chance you could provide a link to the one you got on Amazon? Much appreciated

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars