Originally Posted by Carnevino
^ This is what I have.
Old 11-23-22, 06:08 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EricT64
^ This is what I have.
Is there a reason to go with the Southern Style Offroad rack over the Victory rack? Those are the two I have in my top spots, both are on sale at the moment, but I'm just wondering if the SSO is worth the extra 51 pounds? SSO shows it weights 100 lbs and the Victory shows 49 lbs. Both show similar dynamic and static weight limits, both have very similar installation instructions, both have a similar number of crossrails, and both are made here in the US. I will likely not be putting a rooftop tent on it, given I can't clear my garage door, so it'd be for things like an Oztent, camping gear, and maybe a jerry can. Maybe I'm missing something?

It looks like the SSO's front fairing is a bit larger and likely better at preventing wind noise? I do like the Victory logo (looks similar to the tri-force (big Zelda fan)), but I wonder if it causes any whistling noise when rolling down the road?
Old 02-15-23, 01:54 PM
GXMaine
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GXORUT
Just finished this up tonight. Sold the Yakima Offgrid and OEM bars and replaced with Yakima's LockNLoad E platform 84"x49", with their Landing Pad 30 kit, and Skyline towers. Was contemplating Jake McCurdy's setup (Youtube channel: Wasting time in the Woods), possibly shipping over some Aussie towers, but Yakima finally released a landing pad kit for the GX 460 and with the Skyline towers it all comes together. Hadn't seen this posted, so I thought I would share. One more option for everyone.

Yakima LockNLoad with Landing pad 30
Install went smooth, with one minor hiccup. Where the front towers mount, made it too wide for the narrower 49" LockNLoad platform, the tower adapters had to be modified slightly to extend up underneath the platform to be able to mount to it. For a trouble free install with this kit go with the wider LockNLoad platform N, at 54" wide, you will not face this issue.
Hey! Looks awesome. Looking to do this exact same setup on same exact car, glad I saw this.

Curious how the wind noise is with no fairing/shield on these? Not on highway daily but a few times a week for 20 minutes or so. You think it'd be better with a shorter version?

Also, per your note on install, wouldn't a 54 inch (N) hang over too wide for the car? Thought 49 was the ideal fit for width.

Many thanks! I've been pouring over stuff for hours/days with all different options here and feel I'm close, this seems to be the ideal mix of budget/capability/look for this.
Old 02-21-23, 08:14 AM
GXORUT
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

GXMaine, thanks for inquiring about my setup. I can understand spending countless hours trying to find the perfect setup. You're right, the 49" looks perfect compared to the larger 54". Just note, using the narrower 49", the front yakima tower mount will have to modified to fit between the platform because the distance widens up at the front mounting points. I'm pretty sure that is why Yakima doesn't recommend that size with their towers. I have since changed out the yakima towers for mounting feet from the Sherpa Yale kit. This allows the platform to sit about 2 inches closer to the roof vs the Yakima Skyline Towers with Landing Pads. As far as wind noise, it's actually quieter than the yakima offgrid roof basket I had before this. I measure about 64-65 decibels with the Apple Watch at 75mph on the freeway, to give you some reference. With the sunroof slide closed it actually blocks a lot of the sound. If I had to do this again I would look at Prinsu or Sherpa as a good option. They sit lower and offer some more versatility and options for mounting points. This rack has expensive accessories from yakima and you only have options to mount on top of the platform, there are no t-slots on the sides or bottom of the rails. Hope that helps.

Last edited by GXORUT; 02-21-23 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 07:32 AM
GXMaine
3rd Gear

Default Cheap and Solid Platform Option

Hey all. Some of you may have seen some postings by me on here or H8, I had a very long and extensive search for a roof rack for my 2017 GX. Wanted full sunroof access, no full lengths (even Gamviti's with a sunroof opening, more on that later). Low profile, and T-slot preferred. Don''t like the look of the Mr. T (thanks WTITW) slim, erector racks either from Victory etc, purely an aesthetic thing on my part. I also didn't want to use just a few high grade cross bars either (like LFD Ruggedized), as I wanted protection for the roof from getting all scratched up. Unfortunately that meant I probably had to stick with a cross bar mounted platform, as using the direct attach points only really works on full cover platform. I also have the factory rails, haven't swapped them for elevated Prado rails or anything.

Now my biggest issue was, as many of you may have run into, is what if I order this thing, it takes weeks or months to get here, then assemble and put on, and it ends up making screaming noise, or is flimsy with cross bars, or too big/small, whatever. You can't go and see, touch or feel these tons pf places, and returns/exchanges can obviously be a huge pain in the ***, if available at all. Basically I wanted to hedge my bets.

And before I share this I do want to thank tons of folks in this community for their thoughtful responses to questions and feedback. Tim from Gamviti was super helpful and even offered some custom solutions that still just didn't seem right for me. The LFD guys. The guys at my lock Rack Attack were great too helping me try to crack the code. But anyways...

This all led me to our overlord Amazon. Prime member=free returns. I already had the decent OEM cross bars, so I picked up this:

Amazon Amazon

It's sold under a few other names on there. It was $500, almost half that of similar T-slot racks. Having seen, felt and played with both Rhino and Yakima Lock n Load, also Gamviti, I knew the level of quality and feel they have. This arrived within a few days. Assembly was super easy. It felt very strong and solid, if maybe just slightly less pretty and 'polished' as some competitors. So far, I am very happy.

Pros:
-Size! 64 x 51. PERFECT. Slight hang outside the rails, stops at the sunroof. Fits both kayak carriers, that and rod rack, etc. Tons of space to do lots of setups.
-Assembly less than an hour.
-Price price price
-T-Slot EVERYWHERE, even on the sides which Yakima lacks, but I beleive Rhino does have. Super quick to change in/out, T SLOT!

Cons:
Crappy powder coating. No chipping yet but few already a bit on the corners when I received. Easy fix on my end with a re-coat.
Noise. Don't think this is unique, but above 50 it's making a good amount of noise. More of a cool and god awful light saber noise! It is much quieter loaded.

Overall, I am super happy with it. I'll probably upgrade to a stronger, more rugged cross bar to complement it, like the aforementioned LFD Ruggedized. But even with that, I'll have a super strong and low profile (I am talkng maybe 2 inches above the rails) setup for less money than a Yakima Lock n Load alone without mounting brackets, universal adaptors, etc. And with the platform I still have around 100lbs of available dynamic weight up there which while not a ton fits my needs fine.

I easilly retrofitted my older Thule and Malone racks too with 8M t slot bolts, which saved me even more money. And there are a few wind fairing options from different manufacturers I found that should work for this as well, t-slot attached, I have not yet tried them.

Anyways, not trying to talk down on those other racks/companies. They are all awesome, and I imagine perhaps some have more strength, plus you get the assurance of a trusted and probably warrantied product. If my needs were different I'd maybe go that route. I was looking for easy seasonal swap outs but the ability to have 2-3 different racks/accessories up there at a time. Bike, Kayak, fishing rods/skis. But also day care trips and city parking garages!

Anyways take a look, happy to answer anyones questions on this or anything regarding roof racks/platforms for these beasts. I am an unwilling expert now, my wife hates me.

-GXTRFB

The following users liked this post:
GXORUT (04-05-23)
Old 04-05-23, 09:17 AM
ch99tj
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi. Is anyone running 4 factory bars with a platform? I was thinking of adding two more bars for when I have heavier loads.
Old 04-05-23, 10:13 AM
GXMaine
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ch99tj
Hi. Is anyone running 4 factory bars with a platform? I was thinking of adding two more bars for when I have heavier loads.
It may help it feel more stable, but keep in mind the factory rails those bars clip to have their own weight limitations, ~165 I believe for dynamic load, which sort of overrides everything. This is why if you're into it doing a full cover and 6 fixed point install is best. Can then add tons of weight. I did not do that.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I plan on possibly just upgrading to a much stronger crossbar set vs the OEM factory style. LFD doesn't guarantee fit/compatibility with a roof box/platform when I spoke to them they thought it should work fine.

https://lfdoffroad.com/collections/c...dized-crossbar

Sure there's others too that aren't as flimsy as most OEM. Although so far they've worked well under sub <50-60lb loads up top with my setup.

GXDRFB

ch99tj (04-15-23)
Old 04-05-23, 10:30 AM
cmxssey
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GXMaine
Hey all. Some of you may have seen some postings by me on here or H8, I had a very long and extensive search for a roof rack for my 2017 GX. Wanted full sunroof access, no full lengths (even Gamviti's with a sunroof opening, more on that later). Low profile, and T-slot preferred. Don''t like the look of the Mr. T (thanks WTITW) slim, erector racks either from Victory etc, purely an aesthetic thing on my part. I also didn't want to use just a few high grade cross bars either (like LFD Ruggedized), as I wanted protection for the roof from getting all scratched up. Unfortunately that meant I probably had to stick with a cross bar mounted platform, as using the direct attach points only really works on full cover platform. I also have the factory rails, haven't swapped them for elevated Prado rails or anything.

Now my biggest issue was, as many of you may have run into, is what if I order this thing, it takes weeks or months to get here, then assemble and put on, and it ends up making screaming noise, or is flimsy with cross bars, or too big/small, whatever. You can't go and see, touch or feel these tons pf places, and returns/exchanges can obviously be a huge pain in the ***, if available at all. Basically I wanted to hedge my bets.

And before I share this I do want to thank tons of folks in this community for their thoughtful responses to questions and feedback. Tim from Gamviti was super helpful and even offered some custom solutions that still just didn't seem right for me. The LFD guys. The guys at my lock Rack Attack were great too helping me try to crack the code. But anyways...

This all led me to our overlord Amazon. Prime member=free returns. I already had the decent OEM cross bars, so I picked up this:

https://www.amazon.com/MELIPRON-Univ.../dp/B09SFS2F27

It's sold under a few other names on there. It was $500, almost half that of similar T-slot racks. Having seen, felt and played with both Rhino and Yakima Lock n Load, also Gamviti, I knew the level of quality and feel they have. This arrived within a few days. Assembly was super easy. It felt very strong and solid, if maybe just slightly less pretty and 'polished' as some competitors. So far, I am very happy.

Pros:
-Size! 64 x 51. PERFECT. Slight hang outside the rails, stops at the sunroof. Fits both kayak carriers, that and rod rack, etc. Tons of space to do lots of setups.
-Assembly less than an hour.
-Price price price
-T-Slot EVERYWHERE, even on the sides which Yakima lacks, but I beleive Rhino does have. Super quick to change in/out, T SLOT!

Cons:
Crappy powder coating. No chipping yet but few already a bit on the corners when I received. Easy fix on my end with a re-coat.
Noise. Don't think this is unique, but above 50 it's making a good amount of noise. More of a cool and god awful light saber noise! It is much quieter loaded.

Overall, I am super happy with it. I'll probably upgrade to a stronger, more rugged cross bar to complement it, like the aforementioned LFD Ruggedized. But even with that, I'll have a super strong and low profile (I am talkng maybe 2 inches above the rails) setup for less money than a Yakima Lock n Load alone without mounting brackets, universal adaptors, etc. And with the platform I still have around 100lbs of available dynamic weight up there which while not a ton fits my needs fine.

I easilly retrofitted my older Thule and Malone racks too with 8M t slot bolts, which saved me even more money. And there are a few wind fairing options from different manufacturers I found that should work for this as well, t-slot attached, I have not yet tried them.

Anyways, not trying to talk down on those other racks/companies. They are all awesome, and I imagine perhaps some have more strength, plus you get the assurance of a trusted and probably warrantied product. If my needs were different I'd maybe go that route. I was looking for easy seasonal swap outs but the ability to have 2-3 different racks/accessories up there at a time. Bike, Kayak, fishing rods/skis. But also day care trips and city parking garages!

Anyways take a look, happy to answer anyones questions on this or anything regarding roof racks/platforms for these beasts. I am an unwilling expert now, my wife hates me.

-GXTRFB

Thank you so much for this post! I've been looking for a review of one of these forever. Looks great on the GX!
GXMaine (04-05-23)
Old 04-18-23, 01:34 PM
FlyingFish
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof Rack Options - Crossbars vs Full Platform

Hey Everyone - I need to upgrade my roof rack in order to fit my fishing kayak and fly rod vault (not enough width). A trailer is out because we also pull a camper. I am debating between traditional crossbars that will increase width by overhanging the sides (Yakima, rhino, etc) or going with a full roof platform like Sherpa or Prinsu. I happen to live 5 min from the Sherpa HQ (their Yale model is what I have in mind) and would love to support local business. Two questions: are the full platform racks worth the added cost? We do camp a lot but would categorize it as light overlanding up Forrest service roads. My car is stock currently, would a Sherpa rack look silly without a lift, bumper, etc. I may never do that. One more question. My GX is knights armor. Would you go black or silver on a rack? Thanks for the input!

Sherpa Yale

Old 04-23-23, 07:47 PM
LavaRedJ
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM crossbars crooked on mine, am I OCD?

Ha! I thought my new set I just installed were defective from the factory at first, but then I noticed they were both "kinked" a little off towards the one side. I'm an OCD so....

Old 04-24-23, 09:07 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I can't tell from your pictures, but I do know that the cross bars have a front and a back. You may want to check that you installed the cross bars correctly with the front being the closest to to the windshield.
Old 04-24-23, 03:00 PM
LavaRedJ
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go. Yes, installed correctly.

The little sticker underneath says "FRONT"

Front facing correctly

Looks like a hump

Both have identical humps. Factory sealed, bought at the dealership

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I can't tell from your pictures, but I do know that the cross bars have a front and a back. You may want to check that you installed the cross bars correctly with the front being the closest to to the windshield.
Old 04-24-23, 06:28 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

I can see the humps. I would drive your GX back to the dealership and have the service manager look at them. They look bent to me. Have them give you another pair that have not been damaged.
Old 04-24-23, 06:51 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Had my cross bars installed by dealer

Arrow is pointing forward. Torque to 70 foot lbs.
Note that the front cross bar should not be installed any further forward than this. There is decal just in front that tells you that. Blow up picture and you can see the decal.

Last edited by catdaddylo; 04-24-23 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-24-23, 08:01 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
Arrow is pointing forward. Torque to 70 foot lbs.
Note that the front cross bar should not be installed any further forward than this. There is decal just in front that tells you that. Blow up picture and you can see the decal.
70 Inch lbs
The following 3 users liked this post by IanG:
catdaddylo (04-25-23), GXNick (05-12-23), pacnwatx (04-24-23)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars