GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24, 05:07 PM
Climber
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yakima LockNLoad platform size N

Added the Yakima LockNLoad platform size N (84" x 54") to our 2012 GX. I went for the N over the E because some had said that at the front of the GX the towers are further apart and it would barely make it. Also I like the extra space and in my opinion it looks a bit better.

Big factor in the decision for the Yakima is that with the skyline towers it can easily be lifted off. Have the same system for the crossbars on our Element.

Also the bars are flush with the sides allowing longer items to be supported everywhere, unlike the Frontrunner Slimline.

And the bars are sideways, unlike the Rhino. So any long poles will be supported. On the Rhino you need to make sure they line up with one of the bars.

Wind noise is low. Didn't feel the need to add an expensive ugly fairing.

One thing I didn't like are the landing pads (#30) they have for the GX. They sit up high (ugly) and they are attached with a single long bolt that goes deep into a nut that is just clipped in under the roof skin.

If I ever have to slam on the brakes or even hit another car from behind, that's a lot of momentum on that nut and the roof skin.

The landing pads on the Element are much better, but it seems the GX ones were designed in a rush during Covid times.

I decided to not accept that and added an aluminum bar under each pad. This allowed me to add a bolt and significantly increase the holding strength by raising the fulcrum point.

Of course, it's only later that I realized the gutters in the GX are not level, nor straight in any direction (didn't know until taking the factory rack off).

So, I had to grind the bars into the right shape. Add countersink holes for the plastic tubes GX has sticking out the bolt holes and put Butyl rubber tape underneath to prevent water going in.

Also noticed some of the covers (when rack is off) not staying on securely => had to modify that.

Maybe in the future I'll see if lower landing pads are available, either new version for the GX or modifying one for another car.

Sits above the rubber strip provided by Yakima.

Had to grind the edges of the 0.875" Aluminum Square Bar to fit the shape of the gutter.

Used a punch to add holes into the Butyl tape after imprinting the location.

Using 2 bolts to settle the butyl tape. One will stay when putting on the landing pad.

Actually bought thicker rubber strip for between the brackets. Don't have a photo adding rubber washers under the landing pad to seal against the aluminum bar.

The following users liked this post:
r2m (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 02:11 PM
DarthV8r
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GXORUT
GXMaine, thanks for inquiring about my setup. I can understand spending countless hours trying to find the perfect setup. You're right, the 49" looks perfect compared to the larger 54". Just note, using the narrower 49", the front yakima tower mount will have to modified to fit between the platform because the distance widens up at the front mounting points. I'm pretty sure that is why Yakima doesn't recommend that size with their towers. I have since changed out the yakima towers for mounting feet from the Sherpa Yale kit. This allows the platform to sit about 2 inches closer to the roof vs the Yakima Skyline Towers with Landing Pads. As far as wind noise, it's actually quieter than the yakima offgrid roof basket I had before this. I measure about 64-65 decibels with the Apple Watch at 75mph on the freeway, to give you some reference. With the sunroof slide closed it actually blocks a lot of the sound. If I had to do this again I would look at Prinsu or Sherpa as a good option. They sit lower and offer some more versatility and options for mounting points. This rack has expensive accessories from yakima and you only have options to mount on top of the platform, there are no t-slots on the sides or bottom of the rails. Hope that helps.
I realize this post is older and that you don't have the SkyLine setup installed anymore, but was hoping you might be able to help me out. I'm thinking about it for my 2023 with my Yakima Skybox and was wondering how you liked it while you had it installed, and if you had to remove your roof rails to install.