GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 10:47 PM
damkampple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed my oil today

Ohio .. I just did my oil change for my gx460 and I think it cost me around $70. Here in Vegas a 5 quarts 0w-20 Mobil Full Syn is about $36.99 plus tax then you gotta get 3 more quarts to make the 8 quarts. But the Castrol 0w-20 full syn is on sale for $29.99 plus $10 rebate (limit of 2 - 5 quarts) so that's even cheaper. Anyway, I was able to get the 4 bolts of the very front metal skid plate and just let it hang. I have a special tool that I bought from Amazon, it's a screw cap that makes it easier to remove the oil filter housing that is exposed easily once the skid plate is hanging or remove (up to you if you wanna do more work). Then oem oil filte you can buy from Amazon for $8 plus change .. Cheap!! (Toyota Brand). All in all it was very simple and easy job definitely worth doing because at least you know what you put in your car. Hope this help,
Old 02-03-16, 07:16 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Ebay is another great place to get filters. I usually get them in bulk from one of the Toyota/Lexus dealerships online. If you get a case of them, you can get them for less than $5 each.

As for oil, I usually spend almost twice as much as most and buy Amsoil. At my wholesale price its comes up to about $32 a gallon. Even though I don't do it, I would totally feel comfortable leaving that oil in the engine for 20k miles, although I usually don't just because I need to get under there to change the filter at 10k anyways.
Old 02-03-16, 11:21 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by damkampple
Ohio .. I just did my oil change for my gx460 and I think it cost me around $70. Here in Vegas a 5 quarts 0w-20 Mobil Full Syn is about $36.99 plus tax then you gotta get 3 more quarts to make the 8 quarts. But the Castrol 0w-20 full syn is on sale for $29.99 plus $10 rebate (limit of 2 - 5 quarts) so that's even cheaper. Anyway, I was able to get the 4 bolts of the very front metal skid plate and just let it hang. I have a special tool that I bought from Amazon, it's a screw cap that makes it easier to remove the oil filter housing that is exposed easily once the skid plate is hanging or remove (up to you if you wanna do more work). Then oem oil filte you can buy from Amazon for $8 plus change .. Cheap!! (Toyota Brand). All in all it was very simple and easy job definitely worth doing because at least you know what you put in your car. Hope this help,
Thanks for the write up, i called my local lexus dealer for a quote on the oil change (gx460) they said $99, which is not bad, but what i affraid is they are not using a good Syn oil maybe the cheap recycling oil? And also i love to work on my own cars, I already have the filter and filter tool which same with my 07 IS which i can use that tool to remove the filter, but when i crow underneath the truck, i said wow, where do i start? With all the help from you guys, i will give it a try thanks all
Old 02-03-16, 07:13 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Guessing I am overpaying the amateurs.. I like a quick in and out oil change so I prefer to pay for convince. I don't know what to do with the used oil and transporting it to a facility seems like a hassle. How are you guys disposing the used oil?

I read this thread and it got me concerned with the quicky lube centers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-your-car.html
Old 02-03-16, 07:44 PM
damkampple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tecman I don't blame you for paying for convenience, but if you care for your car and know what exactly goes in it then you'll find out about your any local car parts store (autozone, o'reilys, Napa or whatever you have on your neck of the woods). Here in Vegas we got Autozone, very convenient just transfer your used oil (from the pan) to any empty jug (milk jug, juice jug, soda bottles) then bring to any Autozone, they have a cart sitting there for used battery, oil, etc. No extra disposal needed, just drop and go!
Old 02-04-16, 04:53 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Years ago in my company cars I used quick lube shops, but I was always able to watch them. Most of my own cars I do my own maintenance until the last few years starting with my BMW that had free maintenance the entire time I had it.

I have paid the dealers to do a few also as I have crossed the line of having more time than money to having more money than time. I do trust the dealers though, especially the high end dealers. They aren't always going to be perfect....no business is. But in today's world a dealer won't be able to make many mistakes before it catches up with them.
Old 02-04-16, 05:20 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
How are you guys disposing the used oil?
My town has a collection tank at the public works. Most auto parts stores accept used oil. Easy to find a place that takes oil and filters:

http://search.earth911.com/american-...-institute.php
Old 02-04-16, 11:11 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Many auto repair facilities will also take used oil, even if you don't get your oil changes there.

Many places especially in the north will take the used oil and use it to heat the facility. A shop near me will do an oil change for $10 if you bring in the oil and filter. $10 should cover their cost for labor and the used oil they collect puts them in the green for heating the place.
Old 02-04-16, 05:53 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah any local auto parts store can collect used oil, even walmart collect used oil too.
Old 02-11-16, 07:18 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Default Did my first topside oil change

I did my first topside oil change today, decided to share my experience. Wish I had take pictures.

I used the Mityvac 7300. It works off of my air compressor, but they do have models that you can hand pump if you don't have an air compressor. It comes with 4 hoses, small medium large and the brake bleeding hose.

The medium hose is the perfect fit for the dipstick tube. I marked the hose the same length as the dipstick to give me an idea of how far to push the hose. Don't worry if you don't put it down far enough like I did. The Mityvac has an 8.3 gallon tank which is slightly more than the GX's oil capacity. If you don't push it down far enough, you'll know because tool will stop sucking up oil yet it won't be almost full, just adjust the hose until it starts sucking oil again.

Next was the oil filter housing. I used this tool from Toyota Venza. I followed this tutorial on how to do it. Its the same instructions for the GX. The first thing you will notice is that it is metal. The plastic housing is sufficient but for $35 I have better piece of mind with a metal one. Second thing you'll notice is there are two parts. The housing itself and the cap on the end, you need to get both parts. When you remove the cap, you can add a funnel attachment to it so you can drain the oil filter housing before removing it.

Next is the oil filter element. The filter for the GX is part number 04152-YZZA3. Since I am using a different housing, I had to use a different part. I am now using 04152-YZZA5. It is the same filter element, the only difference between the two is that 04152-YZZA5 has the funnel adapter for the housing as well as the extra o-ring I needed for the cap on the oil filter housing. For less than $4 shipped each, its a good deal.

Last tool I got for this job was this Snap-On Funnel. I really don't need it for the GX, a regular funnel would do fine but I have other Toyota vehicles where it is better to have a funnel like this one. This funnel screws in to replace the oil cap when pouring in oil. Found it on ebay for $15, so it was hard to say no.

As for oil, im using Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20. I have a preferred account so a gallon of the oil is about $32, so $64 for the oil change. I have run this oil close to 20k on other vehicles so I am confident it will work just fine for the 10k oil change interval the GX has.

Last edited by pinoyesv6; 02-11-16 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 04:44 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Good write up. But I'm curious, why didn't you drain the oil out of the pan the usual way? BTW, I don't have a GX yet (next week), so there may be good reasons. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited by jjscsix; 02-13-16 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-12-16, 09:29 PM
Dext
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I use a vacuum tank that I built but have been considering buying a Mityvac also. I have also relocated the filter to the top side of the engine bay on my 2015 Tundra. I can do a complete oil change with filter and never have to get under the vehicle or remove skid plates. I'll probably do the same mod to my wife's 2015 RX350.
Old 02-13-16, 03:39 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Dext
Nice! I use a vacuum tank that I built but have been considering buying a Mityvac also. I have also relocated the filter to the top side of the engine bay on my 2015 Tundra. I can do a complete oil change with filter and never have to get under the vehicle or remove skid plates. I'll probably do the same mod to my wife's 2015 RX350.
I guess that answers my question...you don't have to remove skid plates by doing the topside method. I've done it in boats where it was very hard to get under the engine. I just always feel better about draining out the bottom when the oil is warm to be sure everything is draining completely. I just never was sure how much was left when sucking out of the tube.
Old 02-24-16, 04:16 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I do my own oil changes on my GX. It's easy. I use a vacuum oil extractor - just like the dealers do. That way, you don't have oil dribbling all over the place. You still have to loosen the plastic flaps just behind the bumper in order to get to and change the filter, and, as indicated above, it really helps to have the filter removal tool, which is available on Ebay for $10, or less.
IF you choose to go to a dealer for an oil change, then go to a Toyota dealer as they will charge less than a Lexus dealer will. However, you won't get any cookies to eat! (Believe me though, YOU pay for those free cookies and goodies at the Lexus dealership). Nothing is free.
The following users liked this post:
darkoozy (01-29-23)
Old 02-25-16, 09:19 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use an oil extractor for cars and boats. With the SUV, I like the Fumoto valve: fumotousa.com

Easy to reach the drain, no jack stands or ramps, use a short hose & drain directly to used oil container, faster than the extractor.
The following users liked this post:
120mm (03-16-23)

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion