GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 01:31 PM
Dext
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I installed a remote system on my 2015 5.7 Tundra using a cartridge filter adapter. 300psi 5/8"ID internally braided hose with anodized AN fittings. Also, a remote sump drain with a quick disconnect hydraulic fitting that allows me to drain the oil via vacuum tank. No skid plates to remove and I don't have to get underneath the vehicle, I'm good with that. But I have been modifying engines and related systems for a long time on both aircraft and cars, I'm comfortable with what I do, It's not for everyone.

The following users liked this post:
JayGee359 (01-22-21)
Old 02-28-16, 04:13 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I see many of you are doing Synthetic Oil. Is this a requirement by lexus or is just you? Why not use regular oil as it came from factory? TIA for any info.
Old 02-28-16, 07:09 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dext
I installed a remote system on my 2015 5.7 Tundra using a cartridge filter adapter. 300psi 5/8"ID internally braided hose with anodized AN fittings. Also, a remote sump drain with a quick disconnect hydraulic fitting that allows me to drain the oil via vacuum tank. No skid plates to remove and I don't have to get underneath the vehicle, I'm good with that. But I have been modifying engines and related systems for a long time on both aircraft and cars, I'm comfortable with what I do, It's not for everyone.

Wow that is a smart idea, where did you get that kit?
Ps: today is very nice weather here in Ohio (60*F) i got a chance to get underneath the truck to remove the skid plate, and that wasn't hard I thought it would be, but it turn out very easy, but one bad thing is when i unbolt the oil bolt oh man the oil slashed down so hard it spreads everywhere, i got all over my arm my shoulder and on my hairs too this is the worst oil change that i ever done
Old 02-28-16, 08:16 PM
Dext
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Wow that is a smart idea, where did you get that kit?
Ps: today is very nice weather here in Ohio (60*F) i got a chance to get underneath the truck to remove the skid plate, and that wasn't hard I thought it would be, but it turn out very easy, but one bad thing is when i unbolt the oil bolt oh man the oil slashed down so hard it spreads everywhere, i got all over my arm my shoulder and on my hairs too this is the worst oil change that i ever done
Welcome to low viscosity oil! But seriously, I like to replace my oil while it is hot, faster removal. Also, at the relocated oil filter, I just place a ziplock bag around it and drop it in, done. I sourced the cartridge adapter from www.bpadapters.com and the remote filter mount (Derale)from www.etrailer.com. Everything else I sourced locally.
Old 02-29-16, 07:14 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by angelslex
I see many of you are doing Synthetic Oil. Is this a requirement by lexus or is just you? Why not use regular oil as it came from factory? TIA for any info.
Angel: If you have a GX460, then it came with synthetic oil, and you should be putting synthetic into it. Likewise, you can go 10,000 miles between oil changes (with synthetic) whereas, you could only go 3000 miles with conventional oil.
Old 02-29-16, 07:59 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
Angel: If you have a GX460, then it came with synthetic oil, and you should be putting synthetic into it. Likewise, you can go 10,000 miles between oil changes (with synthetic) whereas, you could only go 3000 miles with conventional oil.
While your first statement is basically correct, saying that you can only go 3,000 miles on non synthetic is not unless your are driving in some awful conditions.
Old 02-29-16, 08:37 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Kroorda thanks for the info. I didn't know that.
Old 06-05-16, 09:56 PM
RokstediLy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you remember what size filter wrench you use? I have a 2014 GX460 that I am planning on changing the oil for, but I have not had any luck finding the filter wrench size. I do however have a filter wrench that fit my Toyota Venza. I am not sure if the filter wrench work for both vehicles.
Old 06-06-16, 04:28 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RokstediLy
Do you remember what size filter wrench you use? I have a 2014 GX460 that I am planning on changing the oil for, but I have not had any luck finding the filter wrench size. I do however have a filter wrench that fit my Toyota Venza. I am not sure if the filter wrench work for both vehicles.
That filter wrench will work. I am running a modified Venza filter canister on my GX becuase they are identical, the main difference being the Venza canister is metal.
Old 06-08-16, 08:55 PM
RokstediLy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
That filter wrench will work. I am running a modified Venza filter canister on my GX becuase they are identical, the main difference being the Venza canister is metal.
I definitely appreciate the reply regarding the filter wrench,that is great news, I do not have to spend an extra $20 for a tool that I already have. The sad thing is, The lexus filter canister is plastic? That does not sound like a very sturdy piece of equipment compare to the Venza model.
Old 09-06-16, 12:43 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey y'all, anyone know if there is a crush washer on the drain pan that need to be replaced? Original post mentions a blue gasket, does this come with the filter or do I need to buy separately? Thanks!!
Old 09-07-16, 07:26 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Hey y'all, anyone know if there is a crush washer on the drain pan that need to be replaced? Original post mentions a blue gasket, does this come with the filter or do I need to buy separately? Thanks!!
It all depends on where you purchase the filter. From the factory, the filters don't come with a replacement crush washer. Some dealers will throw it in for free since they cost them almost nothing and do it as a service to their customers
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (03-30-17)
Old 01-21-17, 10:07 AM
Smashme
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine Oil

I have a 2012 GX 460 and we need to top up the engine oil before the next oil change.
And I was wondering what type of oil is recommended? or what should we look for?
I'm in Canada.

Thanks alot
Old 01-21-17, 10:33 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would recommend going with fully synthetic Mobil1 0W20.
Old 01-22-17, 06:40 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

0w20 is suggested by the manufacturer. Toyota has it, as do several other brands.

Are you burning oil?

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion