GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 02:22 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I change it whenever the dash tells me it's time.

I am tempted to stretch it to 10,000 miles but so far I don't mind the earlier change. Past few changes I have done it myself, each time using mobil full synthetic usually purchased on a rebate offer so it's cheap. Total cost with filter and new crush washer is something under $30.00 for a synthetic change.
Old 05-03-18, 04:24 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

A bit off topic, for those that replaced the filter housing with the metal one, do you replace the small gasket at the bottom with each oil change? I don't plan to drain the oil via that so how long can I leave it on?
Old 05-06-18, 09:11 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I does not really make sense to get the plug out just to replace the gasket as long as you don't see any leaks.
Old 08-13-18, 02:02 PM
falcons437
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Amen to that!

All this work, filth and risk ... for what? To save a few bucks ... and to risk voiding your warranty because you can't prove that you changed the oil and filter yourself!

Sorry, my time is too important and the vehicle warranty is too valuable, but thanks for the pictures to prove my point.
Regards,

SaniDel

time is valuable... but I see you rather use your time to visit diy forums and talk bad about people who are actually not lazy to do the job. Could have completed the oil change instead. Good job
Old 08-13-18, 05:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by falcons437

time is valuable... but I see you rather use your time to visit diy forums and talk bad about people who are actually not lazy to do the job. Could have completed the oil change instead. Good job
I don’t think SaniDel is talking bad about anyone, just commenting on useless labor to save money. Yeah I get it DIY on but some don’t for simple things like an oil change. Everyone has their limitations or lack of desire to do certain things and choose to pay to have it done.

By the way I see you are new here, welcome to CL!
Old 08-13-18, 06:20 PM
CanadaGX
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by falcons437

I think more then the $$, is the experience...the connection with your truck. Changing oil is a ritual of transportation for decades. I feel I should honour my elders
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (08-16-18)
Old 08-15-18, 01:59 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop cracked the plastic cap this round, looking to buy a metal cap for backup...thanks for the link/info.
Old 08-15-18, 02:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I've now gone through my 3rd oil change IIRC with metal cap and working great.
Old 10-13-18, 11:57 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Did my second oil change today, first one after switching to the metal cap. I couldn't get the little end piece off, apparently it was too tight? Instead, the whole assembly came off, which was fine. Had to put it in a bench vise under light pressure to remove the end piece, replaced the o-ring and snugged it up to the recommended torque value. Whoever did the oil changes previously lost or broke all of the bolts that hold the skid plate on. One is still stuck in the threads, so they used some sort of sticky substance to help capture the replacement bolt that they used. Will have to drill that one out and I went ahead and ordered all new OEM replacement bolts for the skid panel.

I switched from Mobil 1 0W20 to Mobil 1 0W20 High Mileage (75,000+ miles). Also added an OEM air filter.
Old 10-13-18, 12:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Last oil change I didn't replace the o-ring on that small end piece as I didn't remove it. I'll probably do on next oil change though as I imagine it could deteriorate over time. I dealt with a few broken bolts on my skid plate as well.
Old 10-13-18, 01:11 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Last oil change I didn't replace the o-ring on that small end piece as I didn't remove it. I'll probably do on next oil change though as I imagine it could deteriorate over time. I dealt with a few broken bolts on my skid plate as well.
I was curious if I would need the plastic piece that clips on in the valve where the small end piece covers. I wouldn't bother with it in the future, though I will change the o-ring every time. The broken bolts are frustrating, it's like someone ran them on with an impact. On my first oil change, the cover plate that covers the oil pan drain plug was missing entirely.

It's rewarding to DIY because you can prevent things like this. Even my trusted indy Lexus place doesn't get it right all the time. When they did the first oil change, they didn't mention any of the broken bolts or the missing cover. Sigh.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (10-13-18)
Old 10-13-18, 07:10 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my plastic filter cap with a good metal one. I used a multi-tool to cut away the old plastic cap because it was stuck on so hard and impossible to screw off. I was able to get it off without goofing up the threads or anything else. I would definitely advise anyone and everyone to get a metal filter cap whether their plastic one is stuck or not.
Old 10-14-18, 02:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Some videos of process.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...and_oil_filter
Old 10-19-18, 12:26 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I was able to thread out the broken piece from the other side IIRC with some needle nose pliers. I'm trying to remember which specific one it was but it was the "smaller" of the bolts used.

PN: 90109-06330

All four of my bolts were different, so I ordered new ones from Bell Lexus. One of them is broken off completely, so I'm going to have to order an extractor set and see if I can get it out. 3 should hold it in place, but 4 would make me happy. Hard to say when they got lost/broken... my car was serviced by both Lexus dealers and quicklube places before my ownership.
Old 10-19-18, 02:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'd throw some penetrating oil in there overnight before bolt extraction on the 4th one. Might help.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion