GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 08:57 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus knows that by using full synthetic they will be providing the best protection possible. I'm an oil enthusiast and have been using the 10K mile or one year oil change interval (OCI) for over 20 years on several Toyota/Lexus engines (3.0, 3.4, 3.5, 4.7). I use Blackstone Labs to verify the oil is still providing safe protection at the end of the OCI. I used a oil bypass system on my 4.7 V8. The oil was still providing safe protection with over 40K miles on it. It is known that Toyota/Lexus engines are very gentle on oil and can safely run extended OCIs. I have seen analysis showing dino oil still providing safe protection with 10K miles on it. For $25 you can find out exactly what condition the oil is in and approx how much longer you can safely use it. I’ve found that Amsoil has shown to be the best oil for extended OCIs. I highly recommend (Amsoil) either 0w-20 or 0w-30 and the 30 providing the longest protection. With a two gallon sump any full synthetic will last 10K miles or one year in a modern Toyota/Lexus engine.

Koz
Old 10-17-10, 02:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

You can't tell the condition of the oil just by color, not anymore that is. As someone earlier mentioned, the best way to know what is working for you and your engine is to do a UOA preferably at Blackstone Lab's or Champion Lab's.
Old 10-17-10, 02:22 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Lexus knows that by using full synthetic they will be providing the best protection possible. I'm an oil enthusiast and have been using the 10K mile or one year oil change interval (OCI) for over 20 years on several Toyota/Lexus engines (3.0, 3.4, 3.5, 4.7). I use Blackstone Labs to verify the oil is still providing safe protection at the end of the OCI. I used a oil bypass system on my 4.7 V8. The oil was still providing safe protection with over 40K miles on it. It is known that Toyota/Lexus engines are very gentle on oil and can safely run extended OCIs. I have seen analysis showing dino oil still providing safe protection with 10K miles on it. For $25 you can find out exactly what condition the oil is in and approx how much longer you can safely use it. I’ve found that Amsoil has shown to be the best oil for extended OCIs. I highly recommend (Amsoil) either 0w-20 or 0w-30 and the 30 providing the longest protection. With a two gallon sump any full synthetic will last 10K miles or one year in a modern Toyota/Lexus engine.

Koz
Not all toyota/lexus engine's are easy on oil, have you met the 1MZ-FE, it'll brutally kill an oil. The max OCI you can go is about 7,500 miles in the 1MZ-FE, before the TBN reaches 1.0 which is considered low.
Old 10-17-10, 02:44 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5755063-post10.html
Old 10-17-10, 06:04 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just order some K & N oil filter. had to call around since not everyone (even pep boys didn't carry them).
good to know about the 10k service.
I think I got a comp. service at 1k, but I'm not sure if they changed the oil.
I was going to pick up some synth oil (I have 6k), but will do a regular one and wait for the comp 10k service.

good read

Last edited by cannysage; 10-18-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 12:00 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regular or Synthetic Oil

I got my GX 460 from the first ship load that arrived after they got the OK to start selling them again.

The salesman told me to bring the truck in at 1,000 miles, same as had been the custom on previous Lexus I had bought. I later read the manual-insert where it mentioned the synthetic oil.

I am curious however, if the early GX 460s came with reguler oil.

Does anybody know ??

~ Cap
Old 10-18-10, 03:02 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
I got my GX 460 from the first ship load that arrived after they got the OK to start selling them again.

The salesman told me to bring the truck in at 1,000 miles, same as had been the custom on previous Lexus I had bought. I later read the manual-insert where it mentioned the synthetic oil.

Does anybody know ??

~ Cap
Even the early ones came factory filled with 0W20 full synthetic. They just sent the early owners letters telling them about the change to full synthetic and the oil should be changed once a year, or every 10,000 miles instead of every six months, or 5,000 miles.
Old 10-18-10, 12:27 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato

Does anybody know ??

~ Cap
I don't believe I had synthetic oil in mine (cannot prove it). At 5k miles it was black. That is why I have changed it. 2k miles later on the new synthetic oil and it looks brand new and clear.
Old 10-18-10, 08:24 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not all toyota/lexus engine's are easy on oil, have you met the 1MZ-FE, it'll brutally kill an oil. The max OCI you can go is about 7,500 miles in the 1MZ-FE, before the TBN reaches 1.0 which is considered low.
The 1MZ-FE had an oil circulation design problem. The first engine I listed is the 1MZ-FE engine. I used Mobil 1 and Amsoil with a 12K mile/1 year OCI. I put 100K miles on the set-up and when replaced the timing belts the engine was spotless. It turned out that if you used pure synthetic (from new) in that engine, you did not build sludge.

Koz
Old 11-08-10, 06:52 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Default "Oil Maintenance Required Soon" Message Displayed

Starting on Monday 1 November our 2010 GX 460 displayed the appended message during system check at startup. Our vehicle has a build date of November 2009, it was delivered to our dealer in December and prepped for delivery on December 22. Note that we are well within both the time and mileage requirements for the first oil change.

This begs several questions ... does the GX 460 measure something else to determine when an oil change is required? If not, then does this message display on the one year anniversary of the build month?

Those who purchased their GX 460s early in the 2010 production cycle may also see this message displayed in the coming months.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We have scheduled our 12 month/10,000 mile service for Monday 22 November.
Attached Thumbnails Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-oil-maintenance-required-soon.jpg  
Old 11-08-10, 06:56 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Starting on Monday 1 November our 2010 GX 460 displayed the appended message during system check at startup. Our vehicle has a build date of November 2009, it was delivered to our dealer in December and prepped for delivery on December 22. Note that we are well within both the time and mileage requirements for the first oil change.

This begs several questions ... does the GX 460 measure something else to determine when an oil change is required? If not, then does this message display on the one year anniversary of the build month?

Those who purchased their GX 460s early in the 2010 production cycle may also see this message displayed in the coming months.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We have scheduled our 12 month/10,000 mile service for Monday 22 November.
Did you have something set up in the maintenace menu? I have set up myself based on dates/millage there for myself. Maybe dealer has inputed something there?????
Old 11-08-10, 07:14 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Did you have something set up in the maintenace menu? I have set up myself based on dates/millage there for myself. Maybe dealer has inputed something there?????
Thanks, that may explain this warning! The reminder for our upcoming service on November 22 was programmed several months ago to occur just before an end-of-year vacation. Perhaps by scheduling service for any date in a given month caused this warning message to appear on the first of the month? That would explain why the message showed up on Monday morning.

If you have set up your service reminders for both dates and mileage it will be interesting to know when your GX displays a reminder.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-09-10, 06:56 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Default "Oil Maintenance Required" Warning Two Weeks Prior

Two weeks prior to the scheduled oil and filter service our GX 460 'escalated' the warning. Notice that the word 'soon' is gone. Also, the message is persistent ... we have to toggle through the display screens to force the message to clear as it displays on every startup and remains displayed.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-oil-maintenance-required.jpg  
Old 11-09-10, 07:02 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Two weeks prior to the scheduled oil and filter service our GX 460 'escalated' the warning. Notice that the word 'soon' is gone. Also, the message is persistent ... we have to toggle through the display screens to force the message to clear as it displays on every startup and remains displayed.
Regards,

SaniDel
Can you go to maintence menu and change the millage/date so it will go away for a little longer?
Old 11-09-10, 08:09 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Default Oil Maintenance Messages from GX 460 Manual

The oil maintenance messages are apparently determined by mileage, but not by scheduled maintenance. I'm not sure what "oil maintenance data" has to be reset, but presumably that is done every 6 months/5,000 miles when the vehicle is serviced. Our last service was done on July 21 at 4,427 miles, so approximately 4,500 miles has elapsed ... less or more!

Once the first message (OIL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED SOON) is displayed, the messages escalate until the service is performed. Presumably, at some point there will be a more serious warning, such as low oil pressure, but we'll have our vehicle serviced within two weeks. There is no evidence from the manual or our vehicle of any problem, but rather a service reminder.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. The bottom of page 705 and the top of page 706 of the manual are appended.
Attached Thumbnails Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-oil-maintenance-display.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion